• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drinking Driving

W

white

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if been convicted of drinking and driving will effect your application.  In my case I had drank a beer and went driving and went through a road block and lost my license for a month because I have the new drivers sign. If anyone knows could you reply. thanks!

Shouldnt be a problem as long as you can prove them your not going to show up at work drunk...

It sounds like he's got a provisional license, or G2 as they call it in Ontario. You have to have zero blood alcohol with a G2, with a full license, you can have up to 80 mg% of alcohol in your system, provided you're not impaired. If you blow under 80 mg% but you're clearly impaired you'll get an impaired driving charge. If you blow over 80mg%, you'll get DUI. There's different punishments, DUI is much more serious, Impaired is bad, but not nearly as serious as DUI.

This is what the RCMP told us in Portage this past spring during our drug/alcohol briefing.

Cheers

I think it works this way here:

Any alcohol whatsoever in the blood of newly licensed driver (N) leads to a completen revocation of the license..for a while...much longer than a month.

You went through a road block? Or were you stopped by a RIDE program? Might want to articulate because it sounds like you ran a road block.

I went through a road block when I was goin camping and because I had only one beer the cop only gave me a twelve hour instead of a twentyfour hour which would have meant I would lose my license for two months instead on just one. In the end I  had to pay to get a new license and pay a hundred and thirthy dollar fine. That was the most expensive beer I ever had.

It sounds like he's got a provisional license, or G2 as they call it in Ontario. You have to have zero blood alcohol with a G2, with a full license, you can have up to 80 mg% of alcohol in your system, provided you're not impaired. If you blow under 80 mg% but you're clearly impaired you'll get an impaired driving charge. If you blow over 80mg%, you'll get DUI. There's different punishments, DUI is much more serious, Impaired is bad, but not nearly as serious as DUI.

But does he get a criminal record for the impaired charge? Or does that just go on his driving record? (Like a traffic ticket) If it is just on his driving record then it should not affect his application, if it is on his criminal record it is a different story.

When your license is "suspended" via a 12 or 24 hrs suppension you do not receive a criminal record ::)
It is counted as a traffic violation and is no more serious than a red light or photo radar ticket. Unless your file manager decides to make it an issue. Which I would. It shows me that you dont respect the terms and conditions under which the "privilege" of driving was granted to you. But fortunately for you Im not in charge, ;D

Thanks for the info but the twelve hour wasn't that big of a deal to make an issue out of but I'm sure you've never gone over the speed limit in your car because that would show disrepect to the terms of having a drivers license.

white said:
Thanks for the info but the twelve hour wasn't that big of a deal to make an issue out of but I'm sure you've never gone over the speed limit in your car because that would show disrepect to the terms of having a drivers license.

Ah and now I see you arent owning up to your mistake......

As for your original question. 
It should not be dramatical for your application, but if you choose to be a MSE OP (driver), it will catch-up with you someday...
Don't be reckless and don't drink and drive.

Just a helpful suggestion in regards to your error in judgement:  Be up front and disclose it, but also be able to articulate what steps/efforts you've taken to move past and learn from it.  Your statement of "most expensive beer" is a good start, but perhaps look at what local resources you can access to show you've moved past it, ex. Go and do some volunteer work with MADD or a similar organization.

Good luck!

Aaron White said:
Ah and now I see you arent owning up to your mistake......
Just to let you know I take full responsibility for what I did and I accepted the consequences that I received. People make mistakes but they can also learn from their mistakes. I can tell you now I want be doing it again.

Back