• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dishonourable Discharge?

Bobert

Inactive
Reaction score
I know I may sound crazy, but I'm a civilian so that is my defence. What is the real difference between a honourable and dishonourable discharge?

Let's say that if you get Dishonourable Discharge , you're hurting. You won't be able to work for the federal gov. anymore. Plus, you lose your pension...
You have to do something really wrong to get that ,like a criminal offence.

The Canadian Forces doesn't use the term "dishonourable discharge", that is an Americanism that has become common-place through media usage.

Release terms will be annotated on personnel files as follows:

(4) Where an officer or non-commissioned member is released, the notation on his record of service shall be as follows:

(a) if he is released under Item 1(a), the notation "Dismissed with Disgrace for Misconduct" or "Dismissed for Misconduct", as applicable;

(b) if he is released under Item 1 for any reason other than Item 1(a), the notation "Released for Misconduct";

(c) where he is released under Item 2, the notation "Service Terminated"; or

(d) where he is released under Item 3, 4 or 5, the notation "Honourably Released"

The CF defines the terms of release in accordance with the Queen's Regulations and Orders. The release items in use are as follows:

1 Misconduct
(a) Sentenced to Dismissal.
(b) Service Misconduct.
(c) Illegally Absent.
(d) Fraudulent Statement on Enrolment.

2 Unsatisfactory Service
(a) Unsatisfactory Conduct.
(b) Unsatisfactory Performance.

3 Medical
(a) On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform duties as a member of the Service.
(b) On medical grounds, being disabled and unfit to perform his duties in his present trade or employment, and not otherwise advantageously employable under existing service policy.

4 Voluntary
(a) On Request - When Entitled to an Immediate Annuity.
(b) On Completion of a Fixed Period of Service.
(c) On Request - Other Causes.

5 Service Completed
(a) Retirement Age.
(b) Reduction in Strength.
(c) Completed Service for Which Required.
(d) Not Advantageously Employable.
(e) Irregular Enrolment.
(f) Unsuitable for Further Service.

Source - http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/ch015_e.asp#15.36

Bobert said:
I know I may sound crazy, but I'm a civilian so that is my defence. What is the real difference between a honourable and dishonourable discharge?

Neither term is used in Canada.  We say "release" or "dismiss", according to the circumstances.

Someone who is dismissed or released for misconduct will have his departure from the Service discribed by one of the following terms: Dismissed with Disgrace for Misconduct, Dismissed for Misconduct, or Released for Misconduct, depending on the exact circumstances (e.g. whether or not he was sentenced to dismissal by a court matrial).

A less severe, but still not desirable description of one's release is Service Terminated; this is used for those who, through their own failure, do not meet the standards of the Service.

Someone who leaves the Service for medical reasons, of his own volition, or for reasons such as retirement, personal difficulties that interfere with his service, or a handful of other reasons, is Honourably Released.

A more thorough explanation than mine can be found here: http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/ch015_e.asp#15.01

???Gee,that's odd. My Statement of Service(dated15 Jun 78),and my dad's from WW2,both indicate "Honourable"on line 6(Type of Retirement or Discharge.

Gunner,
do you want to re-enrol so you can find out what the current usage is?  ;)

Ya know,geo,I'd love to.The problem is...I'm 48,and I have type 1 diabetes.So I guess my only choice is CIC...if they'll have me,that is.

pssst.... (CIC has no specific medical standards right now)

geo said:
pssst.... (CIC has no specific medical standards right now)

While the medical standards for the CIC are not as high as the ones for other entry plans they do exist and people sometimes don't meet them.

My app is in,so I'm waiting as fast as I can.Next steps are medical and interview.Meanwhile...I'm enjoying C.I. status with 1292 LdSH cadets in Calgary.No.1 Corps in Alberta,ya know!

Neill McKay said:
Neither term is used in Canada.  We say "release" or "dismiss", according to the circumstances.

gunner56 said:
???Gee,that's odd. My Statement of Service(dated15 Jun 78),and my dad's from WW2,both indicate "Honourable"on line 6(Type of Retirement or Discharge.

I believe the two terms he was speaking of were "dishonourable" and "discharge."

We still use the term "Honourably Released".

(4) Where an officer or non-commissioned member is released, the notation on his record of service shall be as follows:

(a) if he is released under Item 1(a), the notation "Dismissed with Disgrace for Misconduct" or "Dismissed for Misconduct", as applicable;

(b) if he is released under Item 1 for any reason other than Item 1(a), the notation "Released for Misconduct";

(c) where he is released under Item 2, the notation "Service Terminated"; or

(d) where he is released under Item 3, 4 or 5, the notation "Honourably Released".

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/qr_o/vol1/ch015_e.asp#15.36

gunner56 said:

I can't comment on anything from 1978, but a document from the 1940s would have been issued by a Service that no longer exists, and was goverened by different regulations from those now in effect.

I am sure mine says "until Hounorably relased".

Thats dated  in January 1995

Wesley H. Allen said:
I am sure mine says "until Hounorably relased".

By God Wes, that sounds painful. Poor Bloke. What was the first lasing like? ;D

Honourably released......... sounds like a marksmanship principled :)

Bobert said:

Most people and employers couldn't care less about the military or what your service record says. Just the same, an honourable is still the way to go.   

Cliff said:
Most people and employers couldn't care less about the military or what your service record says. Just the same, an honourable is still the way to go.    
The less relavant your service is to the job you're applying for, the less likely they are to dig into that service. However, if you apply for a job and are hoping to use your experience in the forces as an asset, you betcha they'll look into your service. IE- when you need your CF experience the most, it may prevent you from getting that job.

In any case, most employers will ask you why you left the CF and any other jobs. They want to see if there is a pattern, good or bad. You're pretty much hooped once they ask.

In the end, you can kiss any fed gov job goodbye if you dick around your CF career.

Cliff said:

Its not so much that they dont care, its more or less they do need someone whose trained to blow up bridges, fix tanks or shoot a machine gun while running, to work in an office, unless its the post office  ;)

Cliff said:

Unless it's a Federal, or in some cases a Provincial, job and you are released under either 1 or 2. In those cases it will be near impossible for you to gain employment. As well, if released under 1 or 2, don't bother bidding on any government contracts either.

Back