• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Course Nomination Standards

ExistancE

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

Regarding Course Loading - I have heard talk of a 'points system' where time in/attendance are taking into consideration when drawing up the list of nominees for a course. If this is a standard practice, does anyone have a link to a CANFORGEN or such that outlines it? I have also heard that this could mean that a person with more 'points' could bump his/her way up the list. This is in regards to Reserve QL2 course nominations.

Thank you for your consideration. 

*edited to clarify subject*

This is known as "merit listed".  It is similar to how one is merit listed for promotions using your PER.  They are going to put someone that is more deserving and more ready for the course on it first, over a junior body.  They are also going to look at availability too.  As for a Canforgen on it, I have never heard of anything written that clarifies this, but I will look into it further.

Navymich - thanks for the imput.

To update this thread - I had a look through the obvious sections of the CFAO's, DAOD's and QR&O's and was only able to find this as relevant information

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/009-15_e.asp

where it unfortunately says nothing to support my cause.

This has been practice as long as I've been in.  What's the problem with it?  If a unit is only given so many slots to fill, why wouldn't they fill them with people who actually parade etc?  Makes perfect sense to me. 

beach_bum said:
This has been practice as long as I've been in.  What's the problem with it?  If a unit is only given so many slots to fill, why wouldn't they fill them with people who actually parade etc?  Makes perfect sense to me. 
I don't think anyone is criticizing prioritizing people on a non-random non-alphabetical scale.  ExistanceE just wants to know if there is a formalized system.

I recently had to tweak unit nomination priority for a DP1 course.  I went with "date SQ completed" but there were other ways I could have done it (e.g. "date enrolled") and could have used tie-breakers like course reports.

On a recent DP2A course nomination there was a trump that broke criteria such as rank, time in, and even ability.  It was "willingness to deploy on operations in the near future".  Units are going to have different priorities from time to time so I think a formalized system is probably unsuitable.

Back