• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conservative Defence Policy - 80,000 bodies

Thanks, Brad.

I hadn't realized the population differences were that great between Provinces.

:)

Hi Infanteer

Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

I think we are in general agreement here.

As to the composition of the Senate I am open.  My sense is that the Government should do.  Anyone can propose,the G-G, the Commons or the Senate but all must be satisfied.

The Commons should continue to represent the people (single vote transferable appeals to me rather than party officials deciding on people not responsible to a particular group of voters)

The Senate I think could represent all those other power interests in Canada.  Provinces/Regions, Natives, perhaps even accredited NGOs, Unions, Professional Associations including lawyers --- just a thought.

The British House of Lords is actually a talking shop where over hundreds of years all of those that had a beef with the Crown got an opportunity to have their say and their position considered.  It represents a pragmatic solution to the problem of what do you do with people that have power, legitimate or not.

It comprises the Lords spiritual, the Church was the first group to bend the Monarch's ear looking for favours and influencing policy,  the Law Lords, like our Supreme Court, various Barons that fought/bought and cajoled their way to the table with money, votes or swords.  Nothing democratic about it but the general principle was, like it or not these people had power.  Better to bring them inside where they can talk and feel they have a voice than leave them outside causing grief amongst the taxpayers.

Anyhoo..

By the way the Republican Monarchy is modelled on an ancient Scottish tradition of appointing a Guardian to run the affairs of state and defend the rights of the crown when the Crown was not capable.  William Wallace is one example.

Cheers.

For this little game of Extreme Makeover: The Canadian Constitution Edition, I thought I'd through in the essential Stats Can information as of 2001

Here is the link to the original page.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/standard/popdwell/Table-PR.cfm

Enjoy.

---
Canada: 30,007,094

Newfoundland and Labrador: 512,930

Prince Edward Island: 135,294

Nova Scotia: 908,007

New Brunswick: 729,498

Quebec: 7,237,479

Ontario: 11,410,046

Manitoba: 1,119,583

Saskatchewan: 978,933

Alberta: 2,974,807

British Columbia: 3,907,738

Yukon Territory: 28,674

Northwest Territories: 37,360

Nunavut: 26,745

You might want to add in 400-800,000 natives, a number equivalent to some regions.

I don't know how many lawyers there are in Canada but I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumbered the natives ;D

Back