• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conservative Defence Policy - 80,000 bodies

In fact, I'm all for eliminating the provincial governments all together and splitting the powers between the federal government and the municipalities.  Can you imagine proposing THAT for a Constitutional Convention!

Perhaps I should explain that better.

I'm a firm believer that democracy should consist of two parts to be truly healthy; direct democracy and representative democracy.

Right now, I vote for an MP to represent me in Ottawa on macropolitical affairs and I vote for an MLA to represent me on macropolitical affairs in Victoria.   Meanwhile, my municipality just dithers around on where to build a city hall while irate local citizens complain at the municipality meetings.

Direct democracy has a critical mass, for too many people makes it impersonal and unwieldly.   I believe stronger Municipal ridings should be formed with "town hall" meetings to address local concerns in a direct manner.   Meanwhile, my elected MP represents me populationwise and my elected Senator (pipedream) represents me regionally for national affairs.   Perhaps through direction of an elected senate, provincial responsibilities can be directed through "departments".

Of course, this would require a better civic education on behalf of the citizenry if they were to assume a greater part in the democratic dialogue.

Ack, I think Thomas Jefferson is speaking through me from the grave....

1)  I didn't mean ordinary debt.  I meant the requirement to subsist on lower average incomes without any artificial devices such as EI to prop up incomes.

2)  If people resent the migration, tough.  Mobility is a guaranteed right (privilege).  If you're going to be resented either for the perception of laziness or the perception of taking jobs away, you might as well pick the latter and enjoy the improved circumstances.

4)  Maritimers may be correct to have that perception, but the western view would be wrong.  We have people who have learned to milk EI, too.  When someone brags to me about his ability to work part of the year and coast for the rest, I don't mind that he exploits a program for what it was designed to do, but I am quietly appalled that he brags about it.  (I've experienced this a handful of times.)  My disappointment isn't that people are inherently lazy; my disappointment is that they won't make the political choices that would result in the difficult path to reform.

EI is really three other things disguised as an employment insurance program:
1) Income tax.
2) Regional wealth transfer.
3) Wage subsidy to selected enterprises.

My vision of EI reform is:
1) Premiums = expenditures.
2) Longer qualification periods and shorter benefit periods (specifically engineered to exclude seasonal workers).
3) Universal schedule of benefits (no regional adjustments - everyone needs X weeks of employment to qualify for Y weeks of benefits).
4) Premiums, not benefits, reflect risk (higher premiums in regions of higher unemployment).

I'd also prefer to turn it over completely to provinces to collect and disburse their own EI.  If Alberta can charge lower premiums and pay less benefits, so be it.

I prefer the federal government to hand over more powers to provinces (and likewise provinces to handover to municipalities).  Decentralize.  The problem with large federal programs is that what works well for BC doesn't necessarily work well for Ontario.  We piss a lot of money away trying to maintain one-size solutions.

Considering most municipalties and provinces can barely pay for what they have to now how are they going to be able to afford EI payments?

They would collect the premiums.

When I propose devolving powers, the devolution of the money is (or should be) implied.  The feds reduce income and other taxes by an amount commensurate with the program, and the provinces pick it up.

Initially, it would be preferable to start off approximately revenue-neutral.

All other things being equal I would expect a lowering of taxes and/or an increase in level of services.  The more the devolved political authority, the more efficient (and diverse) the local solutions should be.  This is particularly true when the shopping lists exceed the budgets.

If you live in a province which tilts in the direction of big government, your taxes would gradually increase.  If you live in a province tilting away, your taxes should decrease.  Note that I specify "big government" - sometimes the disagreement is not about how much to spend, but what to buy.  The Liberals, NDP, and Conservatives are all capable of succumbing to "big government".  There's a method to my madness.  The most important thing is that it gives people who have different ideas about the role of government somewhere to go.  Yes, we have some regional differences now, but not as much as if the federal government were much less powerful and pervasive.  That should reduce regional tensions.  Alberta could chart one course and Quebec another, neither feeling much constrained by Ottawa or the idea that some swine in another region are holding them back from being all they can be.  One of the long-term benefits should be the evolution and adoption of "best practices".  After the divergence of ideas (between provinces) should come some convergence.  For example, how do we really know more private involvement in health care can't give us more bang for our buck unless we cut someone loose to try it out?

I must state that nearly all the objections to decentralization boil down to one theme: "But <something near and dear to objector's heart> will be left out."  True.  The more we decentralize, the less able we are to optimize for particular and universal outcomes.  But overall we expect to achieve a greater total value when we add everything up.  If I go blackberry-picking with a bucket on each arm and allot myself two hours, I may or may not achieve the aim.  But if I set out with the aim of picking any kind of berry, I may very well fill my buckets more quickly (unless there is nothing but blackberries), even though I don't get as many blackberries I might like.

A concrete example is the reduction in funding for provincial park services and introduction of user fees in BC (ie. devolution of authority all the way down to the taxpayer).  I don't currently do any camping.  The fraction of my taxes I was paying to support other people's free use of parks is now in my pocket and I can choose how to use it.  (The analogy is intended to be extended to cities and provinces making different choices rather than being confined by the mandates of higher levels of government.)

Basically my ideal is something close to the original US republic.

Very interesting points Brad but if we let too much power slip from the Federals to the provincial/municipal goverments though our ties as a country weaken either more and do we not become a loosely affilated collection of provinces and not a united country?

Infanteer said:
As for the Maritimes, maybe they could move towards getting out of the muck by eliminating all 4 of those provincial governments and having a region of 2.2 million people with less than half the land area of any other province under the direction of one administration; could probably streamline things.

Are you guys talking about the Atlantic region, or the Maritimes? Because there are only 3 provinces in the Maritemes.

The problem with this is that you have 3 quite different areas that share a few common things but have many issues that are independant of the other 2 provinces. What you would need to do if you amalgamated the 3, is to create 3 specific offices that would deal with the specific issues that affects any of the given provinces. But in doing that you just basicaly have the same setup as there is now(3 separate govts), only with an even bigger office overseeing these 3 smaller offices.

Keeping a tight federal grip on Quebec has not been the solution to retaining Quebec in Confederation.  If our ties as a country and unity as Canadians are defined by a powerful bureaucracy in Ottawa, Canada will not last.  The notion of Canada as a country and our self-realization as Canadian did not begin with passage of the Canada Health Act.  If we owe our continued existence to mere legislation, we are no more a real nation than Yugoslavia.

Brad makes some good points.  But releasing some authority from the Federal gevernment back to the Provinces is only part of the problem.  All you have to do is look at the States to see that sort of thing in action.  Each State handles it's own matters regarding roads (except for Federal funds to be used on US highways and Interstates), it's own divorce laws, laws regarding contracts, corporations, etc.

This sounds scary and it is sometimes confusing.  For instance, contract laws vary across the country, but major legal organizations have long produced a Model Code and worked with individual States to have that Code incorporated into that State's laws.  Changes to the Code are gradually adopted across the country.  All without Federal intervention.

State's are free to try different approaches to problems like healthcare delivery, even though much of their funding comes from Federal taxes.  There are differences in driving laws, drinking laws, firearms legislation, etc.  We live with it.  Differing approaches to problems often results in far better service delivery to citizens, because a new method can be tried in one State and adopted in others when that method is seen to work better than others.

But giving local governments more authority over their own operations is only part of the problem, as I see it.  The biggest issue facing Canadians, I think, is that representation is concentrated in the most populous Provinces.  The Canadian government's own website says that while the US government is best described as having 'separation of powers', the Canadian govenment represents a 'concentration of power'. 

Madison, one of our Founding Fathers, correctly (I believe) pointed out that the interests of the public are best served when different branches of government collide.  Such collisions prevent one branch from overwhelming the others.  In Canada, a single party can control the whole government.  There is no way for the average citizen in say, Alberta, to exercise control over his government, because that control resides, effectively, in most populous Provinces. 

I think, based on conversations I've seen here and after conducting a brief investagation of Canada's government, that making the Senate into a useful body might be a good way to start.  Do like the States and elect two Senators from each Province.  Require that all bills pass both houses.  This gives every Province equal representation in one house and proportional representation in the other.  It would be more difficult for one party to dominate the entire government.

Right now, the Republicans maintain a slim majority in our Senate, a larger majority in the House and they have the Presidency.  Theoretically, they have control of the government, but in practical terms, they have to work with the Democrats in both houses in order to pass legislation.

It looks to me like Canada's Senate was intended for a more active role, back in the old days.  I'm not familiar enough with Canadian history (it isn't taught much in our schools -- but then, neither is our own history) to be sure about that.

Just my thoughts on the subject.  To me, concentration of power is almost always a poor way to go.  A single group, acting for a whole country, may seem more efficent, but usually that efficency is wasted in misdirected efforts and lost in a sea of bureaucrats.  Even in the States.  :) 

Great post Mr. Hume! You are right. There are many things about the US system that I do enjoy. There are things about the Canadian system that I like also. I like the idea of voting for the President (regardless of party) while still being able to for whom I choose as a Senator, to represent my interests locally (but at the Federal level).

The biggest issue facing Canadians, I think, is that representation is concentrated in the most populous Provinces.

Would you say the Electoral College system does a good job here of preventing that? If so, you might explain how that works, also - I have a vague understanding of it, but you could sure explain it better than I.

Great post Mr. Hume! You are right. There are many things about the US system that I do enjoy. There are things about the Canadian system that I like also. I like the idea of voting for the President (regardless of party) while still being able to for whom I choose as a Senator, to represent my interests locally (but at the Federal level).

Perhaps Canada is in need of an Executive - Legislative split.

A Prime Minister who runs for election every four years and appoints his Cabinet (not from the House of Commons).

I would prefer the election to be based on a 50+1 for voting, with a second vote between the top two candidates if neccessary.

Parliament would consist of an elected House of Commons and an elected Senate.
I don't know if I prefer the proportional representation that some parties (NDP, Green) advocate.  At least with a riding-based system, their is some sense of accountability to your constituants.  With no fear of a non-confidence vote and no role in the executive, we could eliminate some of the uglier parts of Canadian politics (party soldidarity).  However, of course it would bring a new set of problems with it.

No system is perfect.  When I say proportional representation, I mean the number of representatives determined by population.  I might be using the wrong term.  My understanding was that your Parliment was already elected that way.  I understand that senators are appointed and that the Senate is largely ceremonial in function.

I think that having a PM selected as is done now is fine and familiar.  The Senate change alone would probably be enough to tackle in the short term.

The Electoral College system is well explained on a couple of web sites out there in Internet land.  There are also a couple sites arguing against it.  I like it, personally, because the way delegates are apportioned means that the States with large populations can't control the outcome quite as easily as if we used direct voting.  The candidates have to campaign more widely than they would without the influence of electoral votes.  The websites devoted to the Electoral College explain this better than I can off the top of my head.

One of the problems with our system is that Representatives are only elected to 2-year terms.  That means they tend to be campaigning a lot.  Four-year terms would be better.  Overall term limits might be a good idea as well.  I'm generally for term limits, although you do lose good talent from time to time.

I can recommend the Federalist Papers as good reading for those interested in the formation of governments.  Madison's writings are useful.  He had very clear ideas on government and on preserving the rights of the people.

:)

The original theory behind our Senate was the place for sober second thought in case Parliament went of the deep end. Its purpose has been corrupted and become a partisan albatross. Two questions, is there a need   a a sober second thought and if so how to make it non-partisan. Proportional representation would further fractionalize the country (just look to Italy), and Infanteer is right, I want my MP to be local and someone who can be accountable to the riding.

A quick question about the US Electoral College. As I see it is based on population (actually # of seats, but these are based on population) with states having greater population carring greater weight then those that don't. For instance the difference between Wyoming and California. As for voting for President, one man = one vote, why the addition of a third party. With the college a simple majority doesn't necessarily mean winning but one man-one vote does. Just a question.

Each riding in Canada has generally the same population give or take, so in theory each riding carries the same weight. As I see a people get frustarted with our system, they tend to look south of the border for the soloution. No system is perfect. Canada and the US are different and what works for one doesn't necessarily mean it works for the other. Canada has generally believed in a more centrilized system then the US. Therefore we move to a combined Legislative/Executive Branch. And it has worked well for us over the years. As any democracy, government are going to do things we don't like. You can't please everyone, everytime. However, no matter how you think, gov'ts don't have radical mood swings. Why, because in 4-5 years it will come back to haunt them because that is the nature of democracy.And if it doesn't come back to bite them, then its our own fault.

Jeez,

My computer has been off-line too long.   Great stuff here.

First issue, Manning Levels

- Conservatives call for 80,000 over at least two terms, 65,000 in the first term, 80,000 over the longer haul - Bodies   for all services

-   Liberals call for 5,000 regs for the army at some time indeterminate. Question is this five thousand over current trained, ready levels  (52,000) or 5,000 over the authorized strength necessary to maintain a manning level of 55,000.  That number is 60,000.  Plus 5,000 that equals 65,000.  Strangely similar to the Conservatives number.

The Liberals may want the room to do exactly what the Conservatives are proposing all the while proposing that the Conservative plan is unworkable

A similar mentality can be seen in their Windmill promise which duplicates Jack Layton's promise.

Net effect "We, the Liberals can do everything the other parties are promising without breaking the bank and getting into bed with George Bush".

Question  - Do you trust them?

Second Issue - Legislative/Executive split

I agree they should be split.  A republican monarchy is possible.  Elect the Governor-General as the Queen's representative.

The Government is the tool the Governor-General was supplied to manage the affairs of Canada. All the legislation written supports that.

Parliament, the Senate and Commons, was created to advise and to check/restrain the Governor-General as he/she performed their duties.  Again all the legislation written supports that.

The Courts are a further check on all Canadians including the Governor-General.  (By the way if the G-G (Adrienne Clarkson) isn't available to give you your marching orders the Chief Justice Bev MacLaughlin will - she is Canada's 2ic, not the PM).

The problem is that a combination of a lazy German king in Britain 300 years ago and conniving politicians on both sides of the Atlantic since have schemed to usurp the power of the Crown and act in its place.

The result is that we now have a system to Control the Crown  but the no powers to Control the PM who is acting as both the Person responsible to control the crown and to advise and act in the name of the crown. 

The PM acts while the gaze of the law is focussed on an "impotent" G-G.

The only reason the G-G is impotent is she lacks moral authority.  Electing her would grant her that authority and then she could legitimately exercise control.  This scares the heck out of the Liberals I am betting.  Similar rationale applies to why they refuse to elect Senators.  The Government would then be held to account and we would no longer have 3-5 year dictatorships.

Take a close look at the government they are setting up in Iraq and you will see something of this evolving there.

Third Issue - The Maritimes

I think it was Infanteer that brought this forward, if not I apologize but how do Maritimers feel about getting control over their own resources like the mainland provinces have?  Aren't resource revenues and freedom to decide how to spend them a fair trade for equalization and EI payments?  As you said, nobody wants to be reliant on others and the payments themselves are a source of resentment.  Especially in the current situation where everybody else but Alberta is defined as in need of support. I know about Ontario but they are not really a have Province.  They are more correctly defined as the Median.  They are the standard to which everyone is supposed to be maintained.  This allows the government to define the standard in Ontario to appease voters down there, dole out cash to bring the other provinces up to that standard and send the bill to Alberta.  (I live in BC.)

This is no way to keep a country together.  It is a way to stay in power.

Thoughts for the Day

Cheers.

Good post Kirk.

I like the idea of the Republican Monarchy (there is an odd political term if I've ever heard one....).

Legislative Branch: Parliament, consisting of an upper (Senate) and a lower (Commons) house.   MP's in the Commons are elected every four years to represent a riding based upon population.   The Senate would be elected every six years to act as a regional representative body, equally assigned from each region (However that delination may work?).

Executive Branch: The Governer General, elected for a term of four years.

Judicial Branch: Supreme Court Justices, appointed by the Governer General and approved by Parliament.

Remaining questions:

Senate composition - Will we stick with the current proportion of Senators (105: 24 for the West, 24 for Ontario, 24 for Quebec, 24 for the Maritimes, 9 for the North and Newfoundland) or should there be another way of breaking down the Senate composition, keeping in mind that it should be an equal form of regional representation.

The Office of the Prime Minister - Assuming that most of the executive powers of the PMO today would be transferred to an elected Governor General, is there any need for this office, which has essentially become akin to the "House Majority Leader".   Perhaps he could pick up the 2ic role?

Cabinet - Should it remain appointed from the House of Commons under the Prime Minister, or should the elected Governor General appoint Cabinet members on approval of Parliament?   I'm personally in favour of the second option, as I believe an MP goes to Ottawa to represent my interests in legislative matters, not to handle the unwieldly bureaucracies of the government.

Our problem is that we really haven't "moved to" anything.  We more or less adopted a system without thinking how it might play out in a large, sparsely settled country with very uneven distributions of population.  The US system was given some thought.

The electoral college's advantage is that it is more subtle than a simple majority.  The number of electors per state is one per Senator (thus fixed at two) plus one per Representative (thus sensitive to population changes).  So there is built in a slight disproportionality favouring the small states.  The other subtlety is that in most cases (exceptions: Maine and Nebraska) one's vote is cast for a slate of electors who are all expected to support one candidate for president.  (That is not how it originated).  But the effect now is that a presidential candidate can't just write off the small states, "Ah, we're gonna get close to half of their votes anyway.  F' 'em", because to win a state (less the exceptions) is to win _all_ its electoral votes.  "Double or nothing" focusses some deserved attention on a state which appears to be split.

Unfortunately, in Canada the population imbalances are so huge that a similar system based on provincial boundaries would still mean that the outcome could always be decided by simply winning Ontario and Quebec, although it could also be decided if a dissatisfied west and Quebec both swung behind the same candidate/party.  That huge imbalance is a strong reason to support devolution of powers to provinces.  If this election is a rarity in that the opinion of the west might decide the result, that should be a good sign the system needs to be tuned.  Simply being the geographic centre's "boy" is not healthy for the long-term survival of the country.

Back