• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CMMA - replacing the CP140 Aurora

yet if your reaction isn't exactly the same in both cases you are dead.

My example was actually 2 different wpns systems but I get what you mean šŸ˜‰

Students who start their training with simulators are far easier to convince that they are working with reality in the sim. They don't enter with a pre-conceived bias. Finances are always a problem but the discussion is focusing upon solutions so one solution is to provide funding to create realistic sim. runs so as to lessen the hours required in the real air frame to gain qualification. Good. Part of the contract with Boeing probably includes simulators and they will be state of the art. Australia, Great Britain and all other current users undoubtedly have programmes on the shelf that we can use as well. Purchasing an extra 4 air frames to dedicate to training would also help. 16 is probably very tight and really doesn't give much breathing space for training. As for pilots, start training from the ground up using local facilities whilst your trainees complete their education. Make better use of our cadet programme. There are dozens of airports across Canada that would gladly accept the GOC's money and produce a qualified multi-engined IFR officer candidate at the same time a university or college produces a graduate.
As for reserves, we don't have the aircraft to generate a reserve squadron let alone allow pilots to maintain currency so either we buy more or say sayonara to that idea. imho. But nothing is going to work well until our school bias is changed. Young people won't apply to the military if their peers and their profs and their parents are all telling them that they should grow flowers and write video games instead; especially when the GOC treats the military with total disdain.

We just need the GoC to give up some money! šŸ™‚

Which points exactly, that pilots are smart, or none of our pilots have flown the P8, or that a few commercial pilots who were Bush pilots have some mad skills.
What's hot garbage?
I am curious and open for a good discussion. But vague responses leaves me to believe I offended you and your skills.
Bit late to the party, but I would say none of those points.

Pilots are smart and can adapt - or else they wouldnā€™t have qualified in their role. We have had crew members in the P-8 on exchange for a few years now. And yes, bush pilots do some weird stuff.

The main issue, as others have said here, is that the flying part is the easy part, esp in an airframe like the 737. The crew integration and coordination is something that an airline pilot would have little to no exposure to - in the airlines, they would be talking (internally) to the other pilot and a few flight attendants occasionally. In a P-3 or P-8, they would be talking to two TACCOs and a bunch of sensor operators almost constantly, depending on the part of the mission.

That sort of crew work needs time to develop and maintain, and the training process (even disregarding delays for weather, maintenance, etc and saying itā€™s all in the sim) would be several months, plus the time for recurrency training, required monthly hours, etc. All pilots, civilian or military, need a min amount of time flying to keep current.

Yes, the US military does have reserve pilots in many fleets. Most have been former Reg pilots whoā€™ve just transitioned to the Res Force, same way as our system goes. For the folks who do offer a training program, I would think itā€™s a bit unlikely that a commercial carrier would let them have the time off to take months (or a year) to train as a Reservist - airlines arenā€™t exactly flush with pilots right now.

To me it is really an irrelevant issue for Canada, as unless your planning on scaling back the Regular Force dramatically, the airframe numbers you have don't make having a significant Res flying component, beyond what you already have with the former Reg's
Unless Canada scales back the force (or the fairies give is 2% of GDP) Canada will never get properly aligned on the pers costs / equipment / ops and maint ratios it should be.

Frankly before I consider any cuts to the reg f line units, NDHQ would need to be massively cut.

But after that there's the question of what ratio your reg f to res f should be vis a vis those people you need on a day to day basis for a variety of reasons and those that are only needed on stand by.

There are several areas where Canada should build a higher stand-by ratio - artillery; cavalry; helicopters; logistics; the navy; etc. I could see a number of places in the navy and its air arm where more crews are needed to be able to increase the patrols during an emergency event.

Right now the CAF's equipment and personnel numbers are based on small missions that vary over time (and a honking big administrative bureaucracy). Canada does not provide for a big defence event possibility. That is extremely shortsighted. Planning for something bigger than what the CAF is is what is missing.

šŸ»

For the folks who do offer a training program, I would think itā€™s a bit unlikely that a commercial carrier would let them have the time off to take months (or a year) to train as a Reservist - airlines arenā€™t exactly flush with pilots right now.
Well the nice aspect of the is they don't have a choice.
DoD subsidizes the airlines rather significantly buy helping with the cost of the airliners, which allow them to be called up in times of need, as well as leverage airlines to allow pilots (and ground personnel) time off for Active Duty periods.

No you flat out said ā€œno one in the CAF has flown the P8ā€. You made a statement and that statement was not correct.

Currently, there are RCAF LRP aircrew with more than 1 of our allies P-8 fleets. Iā€™m not going to say how many, where, or their trades on here.
And it got the discussion going. Which in my mind a good thing. It will be a great project if we can staff the systems.

Well the nice aspect of the is they don't have a choice.
DoD subsidizes the airlines rather significantly buy helping with the cost of the airliners, which allow them to be called up in times of need, as well as leverage airlines to allow pilots (and ground personnel) time off for Active Duty periods.
Ah, ok. Huge difference from Canada.

Although maybe getting the CAF to help subsidize airlines (if it brings costs down) would probably do more to raise our profile in the public than anything else :ROFLMAO:

Ah, ok. Huge difference from Canada.

Although maybe getting the CAF to help subsidize airlines (if it brings costs down) would probably do more to raise our profile in the public than anything else :ROFLMAO:
We use to have contracts/ agreements with Air Canada and Canadian Air.

We use to have contracts/ agreements with Air Canada and Canadian Air.
CRAF was it's acronym I can recall at the moment what it stood for.
Basically Airlines would purchase or modify airliners for use in case of emergency. Modifications would consist of reinforcing floors. Means of making it easier to convert the aircraft to either the troop carrier or cargo variant.
It was used 2 or 3 times in last 30 years.

Golf courses are the CAF's vital ground, together with Oriole, the Ceremonial Guard and the Snowbirds.
I wish I had a Time Machine so I could go back in time and kill whoever was responsible for the Golf Course concept on Military Bases.

Either that or export them to Russian in the 1920ā€™s.

Back