• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

City-state provinces in Canada? Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver

suffolkowner said:
My private insurance? :rofl:

Looks like they call it,

Comprehensive Medical Care Services

Ambulance Services

Emergency ground and air ambulance services, as the clinical situation and availability dictate. With prior approval, patient transfer by ground or air ambulance is included. Inappropriate ambulance use may result in cost recovery action.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-health-services-benefits-drug-coverage/comprehensive-medical-care.page#ambulance-services

At $45, even without private insurance, urban and rural Ontario residents have it pretty good compared to other provinces.

In Saskatchewan, per-kilometre charges can put single rides over $1000.

•a basic call “pick up” rate ranging from $245 to $325;
a per kilometre rate for rural residents to transfer into larger centres;
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/emergency-medical-services/ambulance-services#road-ambulance
"The province also charges $2.30 per kilometre for rural ambulance trips."

I have out of province / country emergency medical insurance as a retirement benefit. If you don't have it, it may be worth considering.
Ambulance bills in the US can be horrendous.

mariomike said:

I have out of province / country emergency medical insurance as a retirement benefit....

As an occasional taxpayer in Ontario, and federal taxpayer..... you're welcome.

icon_alice.jpg

Chris Pook said:
As an occasional taxpayer in Ontario, and federal taxpayer..... you're welcome.

My cheques are signed by, The Treasurer, City of Toronto. 

We ran into a lot of "I pay your salary" types on the job. 

Some of the most strident were from out of town.  :)

The City of Toronto doesn't get any money from the Province of Ontario, and the Province of Ontario doesn't get any money from the Government of Canada?

(Money is fungible.)

Brad Sallows said:
The City of Toronto doesn't get any money from the Province of Ontario, and the Province of Ontario doesn't get any money from the Government of Canada?

ok. You pay my salary / pension.  :)

Attachments

• i_pay_your_salary.jpg
    i_pay_your_salary.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 429
Correct about contributions to the funds from which salaries are paid.

Wrong about whether I care what the public employee does with his salary any more than the guy who takes tickets at the theatre.

Brad Sallows said:
Wrong about whether I care what the public employee does with his salary any more than the guy who takes tickets at the theatre.

Nobody cares how we spend our salary. As long as you don't drive a better car than they do.  :)

How we spend our time - their time, as some see it - is a different story.

I'll try to explain the difference between a Member of Service ( MOS ) and a ticket taker.

The ticket taker answers only to ticket buyers, only within the theatre.

The MOS working a 12-hour shift trying to enjoy a tasty treat between calls - with a portable radio on their hip - answers to Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer.
ie: Everybody, from who knows where who ever paid a sales tax.

I assume most people are entitled to breaks while at work? We aren't.
Heaven forbid the MOS cuts to the front of the line to save time. Or the concerned citizen taxpayer sees you get a discount.

And, when that ticket taker leaves the theatre. That's it for them.

Our little theatre never ends. Not really. I've been retired close to eight years, and still get neighbours phoning, "Can you come right over?" or ringing my doorbell for help. I've actually been called in the middle of the night to lift neighbours - who all pay property tax to the city - back into bed.

mariomike said:
. . .

And, when that ticket taker leaves the theatre. That's it for them.

Our little theatre never ends. . . . .

Get over yourself!  While there may be a wide delta in the consequences of error (or misconduct) between a POS oops, sorry, MOS and the barely above minimum wage ticket taker, both are paid according to their skill set, have accepted the working conditions of their unique environments and should be prepared to be held to account appropriately for lapses in either performance or conduct.  It matters not (or at least it shouldn't) that the employer of one is a public entity and the other is a private enterprise.  Both are frontline workers providing goods and services to the public.  Just like the ticket taker, when that public employee clocks out at end of shift he is no longer expected to provide services to the public and his pay cheque reflects that.  As for you being beset upon by your neighbours seeking a strong back and weak mind, well, either you're a very nice guy or you decided to settled in a neighbourhood populated with assholes.

Blackadder1916 said:
Get over yourself!  While there may be a wide delta in the consequences of error (or misconduct) between a POS oops, sorry, MOS and the barely above minimum wage ticket taker, both are paid according to their skill set, have accepted the working conditions of their unique environments and should be prepared to be held to account appropriately for lapses in either performance or conduct.  It matters not (or at least it shouldn't) that the employer of one is a public entity and the other is a private enterprise.  Both are frontline workers providing goods and services to the public.  Just like the ticket taker, when that public employee clocks out at end of shift he is no longer expected to provide services to the public and his pay cheque reflects that.  As for you being beset upon by your neighbours seeking a strong back and weak mind, well, either you're a very nice guy or you decided to settled in a neighbourhood populated with assholes.

First off, after having myself been scolded myself for being rude your post is for sure along the same lines.  At no time was his post aggressive or meant to look down upon anyone.  It was his attempt to explain the difference and POV. 

As for the meat of your post, if we (Members of service) are of higher of higher value and necessity to society and we should be treated as such.  If not then I expect you will get the same level of delivered service in return.

When a person steps forward to act in the service of his fellow man that should be treated as something different and special and should be appreciated by the society they have chosen to serve. 

Halifax Tar said:
First off, after having myself been scolded myself for being rude your post is for sure along the same lines.  At no time was his post aggressive or meant to look down upon anyone.  It was his attempt to explain the difference and POV. 

As for the meat of your post, if we (Members of service) are not of higher of higher value of necessity to society and we are to be treated as such then you will get the same level of delivered service in return.

When I person steps forward to act in the service of his fellow man that should be treated as something different and special and should be appreciated by the society they have chosen to serve.

Guess I didn't do a very good job of it.  :)

You sort of get used to the "I pay your salary" types after a while. It is an attempt to vent frustration and intimidate.

It tends to put the MOS on the defensive. You handle it by ignoring it. Any response will appear as unsympathetic or rude and may be used to file a complaint.

mariomike said:
Guess I didn't do a very good job of it.  :)

You sort of get used to the "I pay your salary" types after a while. It is an attempt to vent frustration and intimidate.

It tends to put the MOS on the defensive. You handle it by ignoring it. Any response will appear as unsympathetic or rude and may be used to file a complaint.

My apologies there was a "not" in my post that should not have been there...

>As for the meat of your post, if we (Members of service) are of higher of higher value and necessity to society and we should be treated as such.

It's an occupation.  It's not of higher value and necessity to society than pulling food out of the sea or the land, or resources out of the ground or the forests, and it's a darn sight less hazardous.

The idea that some people deserve special treatment on the basis of what they do - particularly if they are able to do what they do because they were born with the proper (and most definitely un-earned) aptitudes - is never going to get anything from me except a cold stare of disgust.

I don't understand why public servants are so sensitive about the "taxpayers pay your salary" thing.  Of course they do.  And everyone who works to provide a service is a servant of those served - serve, service, and servant are not derogatory terms.

Brad Sallows said:
>As for the meat of your post, if we (Members of service) are of higher of higher value and necessity to society and we should be treated as such.

It's an occupation.  It's not of higher value and necessity to society than pulling food out of the sea or the land, or resources out of the ground or the forests, and it's a darn sight less hazardous.

The idea that some people deserve special treatment on the basis of what they do - particularly if they are able to do what they do because they were born with the proper (and most definitely un-earned) aptitudes - is never going to get anything from me except a cold stare of disgust.

I don't understand why public servants are so sensitive about the "taxpayers pay your salary" thing.  Of course they do.  And everyone who works to provide a service is a servant of those served - serve, service, and servant are not derogatory terms.

There is nobody who doesn't have to supply service.  Even Vladimir Putin.  When he stops supplying adequate service he can expect to find himself in the trunk of a car.  The Donald may be giving the world the opportunity to discover that the American Presidency is NOT an imperial presidency.  Ultimately he will get his budget and authority from Congress and his limits from the Courts.  Both Putin, and Trump, like Trudeau, serve those who give their consent to being governed. 

I serve my clients.  And I'm happy to.

Brad Sallows said:

Not to disagree, but very few jobs are recognized as Public Safety Occupations ( PSO ) ( or POS  :) ) by our federal government.
None of those fall into that category.

Brad Sallows said:
The idea that some people deserve special treatment on the basis of what they do

Whether it is fair, or unfair, my guess is that the average taxpayer does not particularly care who pulls their dinner out of the sea.

It - early retirement for certain occupations, for example - is not "special treatment" or a luxury or a perk.

Chris Pook said:
I serve my clients. 

So did I.

I was not referring to clients / patients.

Brad Sallows said:
I don't understand why public servants are so sensitive about the "taxpayers pay your salary" thing.

< joke >

Attachments

• i-work-for-you.jpg
    i-work-for-you.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 319
Remius said:
And they can request military aid directly instead of going through the province first for things like snowstorms, <snip >

Once. In 1999. Never before, or since.

2,000 troops deployed into New York City last year for a blizzard warning.

Loachman said:
If they can't handle the job with what they've got, changing their political status is not going to change that one bit.

That is your opinion.

The die was cast in the 1860s. Not allowing the GTA to go its own way in the 21st century forces it to forever remain dependent on provincial benevolence.

Hopefully, before the election, all three provincial parties will take a stand on The City of Toronto Act ( COTA ).
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/06c11

The fact is, when the mayor and city council voted to collect tolls on the expressways and parkways they own and maintain, the province vetoed it.

That revenue would have helped build subways.

What was the point, when Ontario passed the COTA – giving the city special taxing powers to meet its needs – if the province is going to exercise a veto when the city tries to use those powers?

From 2010

Today, however, the Fathers of Confederation are long gone and immense practical barriers stand in the way of making Toronto a province – not the least of which is the fact that Ontario would have to willingly surrender the cash cow that's essential to balancing its budgets.
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2010/03/18/should_toronto_be_a_province.html

MacLean's

Toronto’s economy doesn’t get the respect it deserves
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/torontos-economy-doesnt-get-the-respect-it-deserves/
Toronto is Canada’s most important economic engine, yet it’s continually shortchanged when it comes to government funding. It’s time for that to stop.

Toronto doesn’t have the revenue tools of the provinces, either, despite the fact that it eclipses in size eight (or likely nine now) provinces.

From time to time over the years, frustrated Torontonians have argued for the creation of a new province or even a city state structure, in order to be able to wrestle more directly with chronic funding issues. That’s not likely to happen.

END POST

The cities often forget they are dependent on their resident Province for water, electricity, food and garbage disposal.

Colin P said:
The cities often forget they are dependent on their resident Province for water, electricity, food and garbage disposal.

I don't know about other cities, but Toronto's water comes from four water treatment plants in the city directly connected to Lake Ontario.

when can we start building the wall and where? Am I going to have to move further north?

mariomike said:
I don't know about other cities, but Toronto's water comes from four water treatment plants in the city directly connected to Lake Ontario.

Okay.  So by extension, Lake Ontario’s should be under Toronto’s purview and not the Province or Canada?

Back