• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN 97/08 LDA FAQs

Last brief I received on the subject was that LDA was on hold, because the Treasury board said the money used as compensation for pers in a field unit could not be done in the form of a pay raise, which a monthly LDA is. Perhaps that's changed since you're filling out forms for backpay already.

All we filled out was basically our basic personal info, our join date (to figure out how many "points" we have since the rate increases with points) and when we were posted to the unit and if we have served with other field units. This was filled out and had to be handed in before the end of Jan. I asked one of our clerks and I didn't really get an answer.
So we should just not expect to get the money untill we see it then I guess.

Is this points system up and running?

I do realize that LDA could be taking some time to come online, but what about the other allowances and the points system?  More specifically if I have over 60 points in Sea time shouldn't that be transferred to my Aircrew allowance?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
   More specifically if I have over 60 points in Sea time shouldn't that be transferred to my Aircrew allowance?

They will as explained in the breif that was given on the wing. (while you were away IIRC)

PuckChaser said:
could not be done in the form of a pay raise, which a monthly LDA is.

That is incorect information. The environmental allowances are not pay thus why they do not count towards your pension.

Right now it is the CLS order that all field pay will be paid out before 1 Apr 09. Also, if your unit has completed the paperwork, you still have to wait for clerks all across the board to finish off the paperwork for everybody, then everyone will get the pay all at once.

That is also the other rumour that I heard, that we had to wait for the rest of the units to finish up their paper work... So if it isn't all completed by all the approriate units nobody gets it at all even after the start of the fiscal year?

Also to add to my last, there are still lots of things that need to be sorted out;

Like for example, how many days in a month equal a point? Is everyone getting backpaid at the first incentive, or at whatever incentive they currently fall under?

I am sure there are lots of others, and someone somewhere is busy finding answers to the questions, but nothing as of yet has come down to the units.

Cdnrednk said:
That is also the other rumour that I heard, that we had to wait for the rest of the units to finish up their paper work... So if it isn't all completed by all the approriate units nobody gets it at all even after the start of the fiscal year?

That is what I understood.

Cdnrednk said:

You'll just get more backpay. It'll be like a second tax return.

RAG, do you have a CANLANGEN or other reference on that CLS direction? I'd like to use it to stir the pot at my unit if the clerks are not already aware.

The word I heard was that the CLS wanted us to have the back pay before April... But please stir the pot as I could use the money to get my new toy a month earlier than I plan on lol.

PuckChaser said:
You'll just get more backpay. It'll be like a second tax return.

RAG, do you have a CANLANGEN or other reference on that CLS direction? I'd like to use it to stir the pot at my unit if the clerks are not already aware.

Sorry I don't. That is just what was passed on to us in an O group. " Field pay has to be paid out before 1 Apr 09 "

That is the same info we received from the clerks. The units must have 80% of their paperwork completed before the pay people will dole out the cash to that unit. The paperwork is essential and from what I was told by our chief clerk, the paperwork is being changed almost daily by Ottawa. Some of us older folks need historical checks done on our files for point calculation, and I forsee that this is where the bottle neck is gonna be.

Since it's retroactive to apr 07, I was posted APS 07 to a static unit, which means I should be eligible for about 3 and a half months of LDA backpay. I asked my clerk about it but was told that Ottawa will be making the calculations and the payment. I was never asked to fill out any form, does that mean I won't be getting the backpay unless I try to bug my clerk into action or will all the calculations be done by Ottawa?

What exactly is land duty allowance?  I was in the army for 14 years and then switched over to the navy last year.  Is this still something I would be entitled to?  If so, I think I may end up slipping through the cracks.  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

ltmaverick25 said:
What exactly is land duty allowance?  I was in the army for 14 years and then switched over to the navy last year.  Is this still something I would be entitled to?  If so, I think I may end up slipping through the cracks.  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

The LDA is going to be a regular monthly allowance given to members of particular field units instead if giving them field pay when they go in the field.  Much like navy personnel receive sea pay if they are posted to a ship, whether the ship is at sea or not.  Someone already posted a link of the units that are going to get the LDA.  Eligibility would depend on which unit you were in and when you transferred.  IIRC, reserve units are not entitled to it.

Thanks, do you have the link handy?  Did a quick search but couldnt find it.

PMedMoe said:
The LDA is going to be a regular monthly allowance given to members of particular field units instead if giving them field pay when they go in the field.  Much like navy personnel receive sea pay if they are posted to a ship, whether the ship is at sea or not.  Someone already posted a link of the units that are going to get the LDA.  Eligibility would depend on which unit you were in and when you transferred.  IIRC, reserve units are not entitled to it.

According to the briefings received, any past field deployments with an operational land unit will count for points towards LDA. This also includes any other accumulative time such as the receipt of sea duty allowance. The example that was given was that Sailor A did 4 years on ship and remustered to an army trade such as Arty. Sailor A would have the time credited from his Sea Duty allowance towards his points for LDA. If he subsequently remustered again, back to a hard sea trade and was posted to a ship, his previous SDA and LDA would count towards the overall points for his new SDA.
The LDA is being calculated as if it had always exisited, however the backpay is only being counted from Apr 07.
The hiccup being found right now in my instance as well as many other older guys is where we were posted to operational units and deployed on tour. These days Hard ship allowance will take place of LDA whilst on tour, but the points are still thrown in the overall pot. Back in the mid nineties there was no Hardship allowance, but a post differential allowance. The clerks have to check each individual in question to see if they received PDA. If they did, they will have those points thrown in the pot.
I am not to sure how this will affect air crew. and it would be interesting to see now if the LDA points are transferrable to SDA. This could be a big break for the guys who haved OT'd and could have large implications on their overall points...A good headache for the clerks to figure out.

I understand all that, but in this person's case, he may not be entitled to any of the back pay but will still get points awarded to him.

Back