• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Slang

airmich said:
considering the subject is "forces" slang, have to add some Navy to it too: http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.1257

Actually the topic was originally "Army Slang" started a few days ago, but we merged an old topic "Forces Slang" to it and thus you have this mix.

George Wallace said:
Actually the topic was originally "Army Slang" started a few days ago, but we merged an old topic "Forces Slang" to it and thus you have this mix.

Saw that, but still had to get my roots in.  ;D

Just can't help myself

JAFO- Just Another Fu&king Observer
CFSAL- Canadian Forces School of Alternate Lifestyles
CFPSA- Couldn't Fu&king Possibly Spend Anything
QY Rang- New York Rangers
R Regt C- Royal Regiment of Refugees or The Cabbagetown Commandos
2 FER- 24er as in a box of beer
NIS- Never Investigate Successfully
GGHG- Gods Gift to Horny Goats
Ont R- Scalded Cats
RAMC= Rob All My Comrades (Just kidding)
QOR- Quickest Out of Ridgeway
4 ESR- 4 Eating and Sleeping Regt
1st and 2nd Bns NSH- Non Serviceable Highlanders
Brockville Rifles- Broken Rifles
25 Svc Bn- Jerrys Kids
RCR- Rocking Chair Rangers
2 INT COY- 21st Newfoundland Tank Company
12 RBC- 12th Rubber Boot Coy
:blotto:

To add to George's --

Language is a social activity and so will be reflective of the society (or subsociety) using it.  We in the CF have terms unique to the CF, and have borrowed some words from other groups.  We have considerable anachronisms, too -- seriously, who uses "ablutions" nowadays?  Our slang undergoes change and evolution.  When the C6 came in, "G-Pig" was a word that fell into disuse as it only applied to its precursor; now, however, I hear young fellas call the C6 the G-Pig.

I'm neither a sociologist nor an anthropologist, so I won't wander in my speculations, but I do wonder what we think our language says about us.

Wordsmith the reasons for the slang and abbreviations and as you can see they are two separate and distinct things are many and most have been mentioned. One more I would add is that it’s another way we express our distinctiveness, elitism even compared to society as a whole, like the uniforms and assorted boy scout badges (there's another example of slang).

We’re not restricted Doctors, Lawyers, Law Enforcement, Firefighters, Pilots, Social Workers, probably even Sanitation Engineers have their “own: language or code used by them. Due to popular culture some oar more known to society than others, TV shows like NYPD Blue, LA Law, Rescue ME, CSI etc. being examples.

This language or dialect we’re created is ever evolving and has it’s own subsets as the examples show. Incidentally unlike say high school French once learned it stays with you. I’ve been out of uniform for over 10 years now and still catch myself using certain phrases/terms and not just when on here much to my D9ers er excuse me wife’s amusement.  :-[

One hopes you’ll share the finished column(s) with us here.

Wordsmith, Have a look for a few books written by Dr. Rick Jolly (RN) that are about naval terms and Jackspeak.  He might answer your questions on how the language and vernacular evolves.  (he's one of my all time heroes)

Despite the unpleasant references to the Navy earlier in this thread (all jealousy of course) here is a list of Canadian Naval slang or sayings. Hoist em aboard!

Abaft further aft than…. The term “aft of” is not correct
Aft in the direction of the stern
Ahoy A sailor’s way of attracting attention, a hail e.g. “ahoy there”
All Standing to bring something up “all standing” means to bring it to a sudden or unexpected halt.
Almanac a nautical almanac is a navigational publication predicting the movement of celestial bodies
Athwart running from side to side
A vast and order to stop, usually when hauling lines but can be used in conversation to request silence.
Awash level with the surface of the sea.
Banyan a party, usually a Bar B Q or a beach party held aboard ship
Barrack Stanchion someone who has served for a long time ashore
Barge a flag officer’s boat
Batten down to shut weather deck openings in the whole or part of a ship
Beach shore or ashore
Beam ends when a ship is completely on its side. A person is at his beams ends when he is confused.
Bear a hand an order meaning to act quickly or smartly
Belay to make fast a rope end or to cancel an order
Below there a seaman’s way of attracting attention of a person below
Berth the correct place for a man or a ship
Between decks any space below the upper deck
Bilge nonsense or very bottom of the inside of the ship.
Birds personnel under punishment or whose leave has been restricted, probably derived from “jail birds”
Board the old name for the side of a ship; “To board” means to come alongside it; “to board and enter” means to come alongside and forcibly enter; “To go aboard” means to enter a ship over the side. “Inboard” means inside the ship; “Outboard” means outside the ship.
Boat a submarine, a ferry or a ship’s boat. Commissioned warships are never referred to as a boat.
Brick a shell or projectile
Boot topping a band of paint at the waterline between the bottom and the shipside paints. It is usually of a special type to prevent the growth of minute marine organisms.
Bravo Zulu a phrase to convey congratulations, well done
Bright work polished metal fittings
Broach to to unintentionally slew around broadside to a wave.
Brow a gangway between two ships or from the ship to the jetty
Buffer the Chief Boatswain who is in charge of ship’s husbandry
Bulkhead a ship’s wall
Bull Sub the senior Sub Lieutenant (a dubious honour)
Bum Boat a civilian boat, which comes alongside a warship to sell merchandise.
Bunting flags or coloured pennants
Butt end the largest end
Buzz a rumour
Cable a nautical measurement of 200 yards, a chain or line used for seamanship evolutions, e.g. the anchor cable.
Cant to incline away from the upright position
Capsize to overturn
Captain the Commanding Officer (CO) regardless of rank is known as “the Captain.”
Cells military detention room supervised by military police, sentences of less than 2 weeks are usually served in Base Cells. A sentence of more than that is served in Edmonton at the Special Detention Barracks.
Chamfer to clean, polish or make tiddley
Chock a block full up
CHODS Chiefs of Departments
Church Pennant special pennant flown when worship services are being conducted onboard.
Clean to change rigs; eg “clean into night clothing”
Clear free, unobstructed, or to make free eg “to clear an anchor”
Close up report to your station, when a flag is at full mast, a person who is smart
Cock Bill an anchor is said to be “a’ cock bill” when it is clear of the hawse pipe and
ready to let go.
Cock of the Walk winner of a regatta, sports competition or combination of events.
Cold move a ship being moved by tugs with no ships propulsion engaged.
Colours ceremony held at 0800 when alongside or on Naval Bases to raise the National Flag and other formation flags or ensigns.
Come up an order to slack off on a rope. Also to “come up with” another ship means to catch up with it.
Complain a block complains when its sheave squeaks in turning.
Coxswain or Cox’n the senior NCO regardless of rank is known as the Cox’n, also the senior rating in charge of a boat.
Crack On to increase speed
Crossing the Line when a ship crosses a major line of latitude i.e. the equator or the Arctic or antarctic circles, or engaging in unacceptable behaviour.
Crow’s Nest a small shelter for a masthead lookout
Cut of his jib appearance of a person or ship.
Davey Jones locker the bottom of the sea
Dead Marine or soldier an empty bottle
Dead Men rope ends hanging from aloft
Deck floor or level in a ship
Deck head a ship’s ceiling
Derelict a ship abandoned by her crew but still afloat
Dhobey laundry
Dip to lower temporarily. The ensign is dipped or a person who is dipped is lowered in rank.
Ditch to throw overboard
Divisions Naval Parade, Ceremonial Divisons held in full uniform with medals
Doggie a junior officer detailed to attend a senior officer
Donkey any small engine used as a labour saving device
Dowse to lower or slacken suddenly or to put out a light
Drag to pull a device along the seabed for the purpose of recovering something
Drip to complain or moan
Drown to drench or saturate
Duff dessert or when a piece of equipment is unserviceable
Easy an order meaning to carry on what you are doing more carefully or slowly
End for end in exactly the reverse position
Fair favourable or unobstructed
Fake a coil of rope
Fit out to rig or provide a ship, person or thing with its full outfit of stores and equipment
Flotsam any floating cargo, stores or equipment which have floated off a wrecked or damaged vessel.
Fore and Aft rig a term for the old RCN sailor’s uniform
Forward in the direction of the bow
Foul to entangle or obstruct
Founder to sink
Freshen the Nip to shift the point where the bight of a  strained rope makes contact with a fairlead or other object. Done by heaving in or slackening a few inches.
Full Riggers to be dressed in DEU with medals and, in most cases, with sword, cutlass or rifle.
Galley The kitchen
Gangway any recognized entrance to, passageway or traffic route within a ship.
Gash garbage
Glim a light
Gob slang name for your mouth
Greenie(s) taking waves over the bow.
Grog one part rum to two parts water
Grog blossom a red nose or a pimple
Hands members of the ships company
Hands Fall In Hands required to duty stations, or an unceremonial form of Divisions when the CO or leadership wishes to pass orders or instructions
Hanging Judas a fall, whip or halyard which is hanging loose from aloft
Hard tack ship’s biscuit (still eaten in Newfoundland)
Heads toilets
HODS Heads of Departments
Holiday a gap, eg a spot missed while painting
Hollywood shower a long shower with the water running the entire time and no regard paid to preserving water.
Hookie slang for a Leading Seaman
Hulk a vessel inuse but condemned for sea service
Irish Pennants rope yarns or stray rope ends hanging from the rigging, loose threads on one’s uniform
Jacked up to be corrected sternly.
Jettison to cast overboard
Jettsom floating debris which was jettisoned from a ship
Jimmy The XO
Jury rig temporary, emergency or home made fix.
Ki cocoa
Killick slang for a Leading Seaman
Knot a measurement of speed (nautical miles per hour)
Labour a ship labours when she pitches and rolls heavily
Landfall first sight of land after a sea passage
Lay up take a ship out of service
Lee opposite side to that upon which the wind is blowing
Lie to to lie as stationary as possible in a gale with the wind and sea ahead
Lower Deck usually used to refer to the place where NCMs Mess Decks are located
Main Cave the Master Seaman and Jr NCMs Mess onboard a ship
Master captain of a merchant vessel
Master Hookie Master Seaman
Matelot slang for a sailor
Matie a dockyard worker, also referred to as “a dockyard matie”
Marry to join ropes or lines together, to put things together
Midships in the middle of the ship, a helm order to bring the wheel to center.
Molly person who is assigned to clean dishes and tables in the Mess.
Number One the XO
Other half a second or subsequent drink, one’s spouse.
OPI Office of Particular Interest, the person or office in charge of an event or evolution.
Overhaul to overtake, to examine or repair, to haul apart the blocks of a tackle
Pay away to slacken on a rope
Perks special advantages of a special job
Pier Head Jump joining a ship or coming off leave just as ship is about to sail, or returning on one ship and immediately sailing on another.
Pigeon a member of the Air Force
Pipe an announcement or order on the ship’s broadcast system. “to make a pipe”
Pipe down after this order no further pipes are made until hands are called. Keep quiet.
Pongo a soldier
Port left side of a ship, a helm order to steer to the left, wine used to drink toasts at Mess dinners, place where a ship is secured.
Proud sticking out
Pusser the Supply Officer. Anything that is issued by the Navy is called pusser eg Pusser boots….”looking pusser” means to appear very “seamanlike.”
Pusser shower a quick shower used to preserve water, i.e. turn water on briefly to get wet, lather up, turn water on briefly to rinse…you’re done!
Rabbit crown property taken or converted for private use
Rake to lean or incline from the upright
Range to lay out a rope or cable
Refit to repair or rejuvenate
Rig to fit out, to dress in the correct order of uniform e.g. “what is the rig for divisions?”
Rogue Salute a single canon fired at colours on the day of a court martial
Roundly quickly, usually used when working lines e.g. haul in roundly
Rounds any set of checks or inspections made in a routine manner, Evening rounds are made onboard by the XO and the Coxn.
Rumour net unsubstantiated intelligence also known as RUMINT, usually wrong int.
Run (ashore) usually a term used to denote a drinking party with fellow shipmates
Run down to ram
Runners smugglers
Scran food
Scran locker storage place for personal gear found sculling (lost and found)
Scull(ing) loose gear or kit left unattended in a place where it shouldn’t be
Scuttle a round porthole
Sea Lawyer an argumentative person. One who avoids work or abuses the system by citing regulations. Also known as a Barrack Room Lawyer or a Lower Deck Lawyer
Sea Legs ability to maintain balance at sea
Secure to make fast, to finish a task or duty e.g. secure Special Sea Duty men.
Secure for sea lash down all equipment and stow personnel gear so it doesn’t end up flying around in rough seas
Shad rude slang for a Naval Reservist
Ships company all personnel of a warship
Shipshape in good order
Sin Boatswain slang for a Chaplain
Sister Ships ships of the same class
Skate a person who avoids work or responsibility
Skipper Captain of a submarine or small merchant vessel (USN slang for any CO of a ship)
Skive idleness or avoidance of duty
Sliders slang for leaving place of duty before official work hours are over.
Snotty rude slang used by NCMs for a junior officer
Snug properly secure
Special Sea Dutymen persons selected for specialized evolutions e.g. a senior rating for steering the ship when coming alongside or maneuvers of a risky nature.
Spindrift a spray blown from the crests of waves
Splice the Main brace when the CO orders a ceremonial tot of rum to be issued.
Stanchion a supporting post
Starboard the right hand side, a helm order to steer to the right
Stave to break or make a hole
Strike to haul down eg strike the jack staff
Swallow the anchor retire
Swan an easy or pleasant duty.
Swing the lead to take depth soundings with a lead and line, slang for avoiding work
Three Mess a term which usually refers to the Chief’s and PO’s mess
Tiddley neat, smart
Tiffy the Medical Assistant, also known as the Sick Bay Tiffy
Tight water tight,
Tooth Fairy the Dentist
Tot a ration of rum
Uckers a game similar to Ludo which is a favorite among senior NCMs
Under way moving under power such that the helm can respond.
Warm the bell to be early, or to prepare for action
Weather deck(s) outside decks exposed to the elements, topside
Weep to leak slightly
Winger a friend or shipmate
Work Ups exercise a ships’ company
XO the executive officer, who is second in command of the ship or establishment

The military is also one of the few institutions that celebrates and enforces its history so terms and slang get passed from generation to generation even though their original meaning no longer applies.  A good example is the Naval tradition of banyan (one for airmich who just can't let go of her navy roots)

rmacqueen said:
The military is also one of the few institutions that celebrates and enforces its history so terms and slang get passed from generation to generation even though their original meaning no longer applies.  A good example is the Naval tradition of banyan (one for airmich who just can't let go of her navy roots)

And of course when one attends a Banyan one should wear "Pirate Rig." (a term I forgot to add up top meaning, "colourful non-uniform dress" could be anywhere from tropical shirts and shorts to those who like to wear....well let's say "risque" clothing)

OPI  Office of Particular Interest, the person or office in charge of an event or evolution.

as compared to

OPI - only person interested  ;D

Most people know what the OPI does.. but not what it stands for so the
only answer I ever got was Only Person Interested

Trinity said:
as compared to

OPI - only person interested   ;D

Most people know what the OPI does.. but not what it stands for so the
only answer I ever got was Only Person Interested

Yeah I saw that one up top and thought it was funny.  ;D
I have been around the outfit nearly 30 years and never heard that before but it does apply to some of the stuff that comes down the pipe. Live and learn and pass it on, as my Reg Chief says.

IHS, One of my favourite words is fid.  (splicing tool) and the saying, a sailor never ties a knot, they lay one in.  (which is hilarious at a naval type wedding to use in toasts)

niner domestic said:
IHS, One of my favourite words is fid.  (splicing tool) and the saying, a sailor never ties a knot, they lay one in.  (which is hilarious at a naval type wedding to use in toasts)

Your being polite. Fid is also a slang term for one's penis. I've heard both terms used very well in the speechs and toasts at a Naval wedding....ha ha thanks for the reminder.

UNOF: Underarmed Narcs Obviously Foreign (UN Observer Force)
UNPF:  Underarmed, Neglected, Probably F#cked (UN Protective Force)
and for service in francophone areas of the third world, the traditional
ONU:  Orginization Nearly Useless (the French acronym for UN, just as useless in any language).

RCHA: Retards Cant Hit Anything, unless you are calling for support fire in which case we call them bloody marvelous (please and thankyou).

We've got a swafe of different slang to you blokes,
"Jube" or "f#ck Stick" for your new guys, its the most popular phrase. I'm trying to think of something i havent seen on here already. Ahh, my head isnt working!
"F#ck Stick Hat" Being an unaltered bush hat, because anyone wearing one, especially in the Grunts, is probably a Jube/FuckStick...and an unaltered bush hat, especially one recently got, looks pretty stupid.
"Goffa" is your sweets.
"Jack Rations" are your privately bought bush rations.
"Jack" is used on someone who's lazy, unmotivated, doesnt work for the team or does anything else that could be selfish, ie "Your a jack bastard".
"Chuck a Boxer"= throw a salute.
I'm seriously struggling, someone should give Wes a call for me. He'll know ADF slang. I'll get back to this one i reckon.

Oh! How could i forget!
PENIS = Practical Exercise Not Involving Soldiers. And we all know how the Officers love Penis

Christmas has come a little learly this year! I can't believe what you've posted forme, and I promise that I will put up a link on the Army.ca website to Quill and Quire when my piece comes out.

Thanks so much and Merry Xmas to all. Oh, and carry on if you wish.

SprCForr said:
C.O.C.K.: Heavy handed Cbt Arms type discipline used on an individual but more often on Sections or Pl/Tps. It is an area wpn. It can be belt fed.

Not to mention chain driven, air-cooled and DS assisted!  :eek:

P.O.N.T.I. - Person Of No Tactical Importance
F.L.O.A.T.E.R. - Fat Lazy Obnoxious A$$hole That Evades Responsibility

PWOR - People With Overstretched Rectums
NSE - No Supported Expected or Notional Support Element.

GGHG=God's Gift to Horny Girls
GGFG=Good God Forgot the Gustav!
RWR=Retards with rifles
I'm surprised no one's brought up the 12th Rubber Boot Company yet. I've heard most of these from my old man but my Grand-dad had a few not-so-nice names about the PPCLI. The soemthing Cowboys Learning Italian with regards to them not being involved w/ D-Day.

Back