• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

IT Administrators, System Administrators, IS security personnel - usually support staff and low to mid level managers - are huge targets for industrial espionage actors. These would be your Corporal through to Captains who have access to systems that contain information (usernames, passwords, MFA paths, permissions and authorizations etc.).

IT Administrators, System Administrators, IS security personnel - usually support staff and low to mid level managers - are huge targets for industrial espionage actors. These would be your Corporal through to Captains who have access to systems that contain information (usernames, passwords, MFA paths, permissions and authorizations etc.).
Just prior to my sister starting at Chevron an interim was murdered by a Industrial spy she caught photocopying stuff. The guy panicked and killed her.

I have read a few books on espionage and its not always the higher ups you target. Compromise cipher clerks (in the olden days they coded and decoded messages) executive secretaries (Markus Wolf was a genius at this) and other low level people that have access to high level secrets.

Igor Gouzenko was a cypher clerk. Igor Gouzenko
As a USSO/ISSO assistant I had to present a security brief that was provided to us. Interestingly enough it was usually lower levels that were targeted as they were easier and cheaper while able to provide at least close to the same information.

As a USSO/ISSO assistant I had to present a security brief that was provided to us. Interestingly enough it was usually lower levels that were targeted as they were easier and cheaper while able to provide at least close to the same information.
It’s pretty much low level correction officers targeted as well.

Canada gets the military it deserves.

Is there not a ministry of government that isn't a complete failure at this point?
Short 16k+, almost every trade red, stretched to our limit for personal and equipment this summer from fires, and operation while some how reconstituting. How is this not a national security crisis?

Short 16k+, almost every trade red, stretched to our limit for personal and equipment this summer from fires, and operation while some how reconstituting. How is this not a national security crisis?

The new normal. When every thing is a crisis, nothing is a crisis.

Canada gets the military it deserves.

Is there not a ministry of government that isn't a complete failure at this point?
Let me start off by saying I too believe that Canada isn't prepared for a new era in warfare.

That said I take some exception to what is said in the article. For a start, when you start off with a line that equates to how many of the 158 fatalities could have been saved if we had different kinds of capabilities in place. . . well, at best, its unhelpful and emotion raising conjecture that doesn't become a 3 star. He was ACLS in 2007 and VCDS 2013 to 2016 when the last key round to transformation into what the army is today, happened and when Ukraine Part 1 happened. The budget dropped and stagnated from 2011-2016. I didn't see him resign in protest. In fairness to the LPC it started rising thereafter. The problem is that after 2014 and Ukraine 1 the thrust for equipping the army didn't change despite the fact that major capability divestments happened the two years prior. If there was a time for a change it should have been then.

Aging military equipment is cyclical - it happens every 15-20 years or so. The current fleet was acquired around the turn of the century and thereabouts with the aim of creating a force for 2020 and beyond. As the VCDS he was intimately involved on deciding, or deciding to defer, the next generation in a timely manner. There has been, as far as I can tell from the outside looking in, no internal readjustment within DND to meet with new threats. It's been business as normal. Yes, the government plays a key role in that but so does DND/CAF which seems to be carrying business as usual in the face of critical change.

Here's my point. I distrust any article by a former GOFO that says "it's all the government's fault." It's far beyond time that the CAF and DND look inward and see what needs doing to reform the entire system top to bottom. Convincing others to see it your way is greatly enhanced when they are convinced you have already done everything possible that you can and that it simply isn't enough for Canada's security.

🍻

Aging military equipment is cyclical - it happens every 15-20 years or so. The current fleet was acquired around the turn of the century and thereabouts with the aim of creating a force for 2020 and beyond. As the VCDS he was intimately involved on deciding, or deciding to defer, the next generation in a timely manner. There has been, as far as I can tell from the outside looking in, no internal readjustment within DND to meet with new threats. It's been business as normal. Yes, the government plays a key role in that but so does DND/CAF which seems to be carrying business as usual in the face of critical change.
15 year cycles would be great, but we start replacing at 20, so IOC is at 30+ years. Some equipment has a 40-50 year cycle because of our lack of care.

Because, and I’m not being facetious here, no one has tested us on our own soil in…a long time.

Because, and I’m not being facetious here, no one has tested us on our own soil in…a long time.
At this rate no one will test us on foreign soil either. The forest fires appear to be attriting us pretty good on the home front too

At this rate no one will test us on foreign soil either. The forest fires appear to be attriting us pretty good on the home front too
They won't need to test us - if a foreign power ever decides to walk in and take us over (unlikely I know) it will not be a long fight if its conventional.

They won't need to test us - if a foreign power ever decides to walk in and take us over (unlikely I know) it will not be a long fight if its conventional.

If it ever comes to a fight.

So then slash the size of the CAF to 60% or what it is now. Use that money to buy modern kit and get a 100% ready smaller force.

The only major issue with that is in 20 years you will need to do it again, and then you eventually won’t have a CAF at all.

Maybe that is what Canada wants after all…

So then slash the size of the CAF to 60% or what it is now. Use that money to buy modern kit and get a 100% ready smaller force.

The only major issue with that is in 20 years you will need to do it again, and then you eventually won’t have a CAF at all.

To me, as I've said many times before, what's needed is that we reduce army full-timers for more part-timers and more and better equipment. In other words a larger better equipped force with a far smaller annual pay envelope. (Not to mention the DND needs to cut admin overhead)

As people here point out, due to its geography, Canada can be a bit discretionary in how much of a force it chooses to deploy internationally. That means that there is less need to keep a high-readiness force on stand-by. With a larger ResF Canada can raise full-time expeditionary forces transactionally with a core of full-timers and the bulk of part-timers as and when required.

We need a bigger force. We just don't need it all of the time.

🍻

But what about all the really expensive bases, and other infrastructure/ overhead, we've built across the country to bribe the locals with federal pork? ;)

Back