• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

You beat me to it! I see your Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and raise you my Six Sigma Master Black Belt!:giggle:

We are unworthy!!

Wax Off Youtube GIF by NETFLIX

There is no other nation in the world that beats itself up like Canada.
That’s reason enough to avoid us,

“We’re not worthy “
The first place I heard the term “tall poppy syndrome” was in Australia.

They like to beat themselves up too. We just don’t hear about it in Canada. Just like the average Australian wouldn’t hear about us beating ourselves up.

Not the case. Transfers in/out occur all the time at all levels.
No, he’s actually not wrong. It depends on certain departments and agency. My DND clearances were not recognized when I went to another department. And as a reservist working at DND I had two clearances lol. They actually made me do a new one when I joined as a PS lol even though I had one as a CAF member.

It would be transferable at some departments but not at others. I had heard talk about standardizing security clearances for departments that deal in public safety, defence etc but no clue where that might be at.

I’m sure if you went to agriculture Canada or environment Canada your security clearance could be ported but I can guarantee it will not be ported to places like CSIS, RCMP, CSE etc

No, he’s actually not wrong. It depends on certain departments and agency. My DND clearances were not recognized when I went to another department. And as a reservist working at DND I had two clearances lol. They actually made me do a new one when I joined as a PS lol even though I had one as a CAF member.

It would be transferable at some departments but not at others. I had heard talk about standardizing security clearances for departments that deal in public safety, defence etc but no clue where that might be at.

I’m sure if you went to agriculture Canada or environment Canada your security clearance could be ported but I can guarantee it will not be ported to places like CSIS, RCMP, CSE etc
When I went to Public Safety while still in the CAF as a Reservist, I had to start from scratch.

My understanding (likely dated) was that security interviews and background investigations were outsourced to GardaWorld for everything above Secret. My last security interview in the CAF was with DPM Secur, but that was a long time ago.

When I went to Public Safety while still in the CAF as a Reservist, I had to start from scratch.

My understanding (likely dated) was that security interviews and background investigations were outsourced to GardaWorld for everything above Secret. My last security interview in the CAF was with DPM Secur, but that was a long time ago.
Do you know if the security clearances are based on what specific function your are being to perform? Comparing police officer to border agent to government accountant to various CAF members?
Basically do they have to dig deeper for different jobs or look at different aspects (criminal, financial, political views, etc?)

Do you know if the security clearances are based on what specific function your are being to perform?
I believe the answer is "yes". Each functional group should have it's own unique requirements. Infantry can be enrolled with an ERC, but you'd eventually need Secret to operate sigs equipment.
Comparing police officer to border agent to government accountant to various CAF members?
I've had some Reg F MPs join our agency who had to start from scratch as well, even though they'd CT to the P Res to work for us.
Basically do they have to dig deeper for different jobs or look at different aspects (criminal, financial, political views, etc?)
Yup. My first CAF clearance was "here, fill these out and sign them". Two years later, voila. My last one consisted of an interview with DPM Secur to make sure I wasn't that "other guy" with the same name and DOB and a long criminal history and conduct sheet.

My current PS one was the only time any of my references were interviewed.

The thing is that up to a certain level, everyone will go to the same information source to check for issues and then the only unique thing is their departmental stamp. I can see if going to other levels that the process and information seeking/sourcing becomes unique then it should be redone.

Total Quality Management, an MBA buzzword.
That rapidly morphed into TQL (Leadership) as more of our senior clowns sought to civilianize the CF, a move that has again morphed into the org we have today!

The thing is that up to a certain level, everyone will go to the same information source to check for issues and then the only unique thing is their departmental stamp. I can see if going to other levels that the process and information seeking/sourcing becomes unique then it should be redone.
The other thing is also that some hiring managers can risk manage their hires. Someone with bad credit or a criminal record can still be hired. say for example in a mail room at heritage Canada. They get their clearance cool. But they transfer to the RCMP at Corporate Management Services then maybe that isn’t the best place to be risk managed so the only way to check is to redo it. Not to mention anything that could show up after they get their clearance.

The other thing is also that some hiring managers can risk manage their hires. Someone with bad credit or a criminal record can still be hired. say for example in a mail room at heritage Canada. They get their clearance cool. But they transfer to the RCMP at Corporate Management Services then maybe that isn’t the best place to be risk managed so the only way to check is to redo it. Not to mention anything that could show up after they get their clearance.
Exactly. If you're going to put a high level risk into the RCMP, they'd better be a director or better!

(Too soon?)

Unfortunately, even Cpls are suspect these days.
I have read a few books on espionage and its not always the higher ups you target. Compromise cipher clerks (in the olden days they coded and decoded messages) executive secretaries (Markus Wolf was a genius at this) and other low level people that have access to high level secrets.

Igor Gouzenko was a cypher clerk. Igor Gouzenko

Back