• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Billing

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
From Radio Chatter:

You have no idea the number of times I've seen patients arrive by car that could hardly walk, or were having an active stroke or heart attack. Part of the problem is that ambulance is not an insured service under most provincial health plans. The fees vary widely from province-to-province from a low of $45 to a high of about $250. Additionally, there's far too many people taking a cabulance, so response times are longer than optimal, and many people feel they can't wait the 9 minutes it takes for the ambulance to arrive. Further, ambulance funding models incentivise transport, taking yet more cars off the road. Many fire departments are blended services, and rely on ambulance fees. Add in time spent waiting at hospital to offload, and there's another compounding factor.

As others have said above, compared to federal, the bill for municipal and provincial emergency service can get pretty expensive for Canadians.

Ontario woman $12K air ambulance bill in Nova Scotia​

To: Halifax , Nova Scotia

I’d hate to see them die because they didn’t want to call for SAR and foot the bill for that.

Nice to know our federal government does not bill. :salute:

My wife is religious about calling Tele-health Ontario when it comes to some medical issues that are "on the fence" stuff.

Turns out that if TeleHealth calls you an ambulance vice you calling 911...they cover the cost of the ambulance because it's considered an actual reason to send an ambulance instead of opting for the "Wee-Oooh-ber"

My wife is religious about calling Tele-health Ontario when it comes to some medical issues that are "on the fence" stuff.

Turns out that if TeleHealth calls you an ambulance vice you calling 911...they cover the cost of the ambulance because it's considered an actual reason to send an ambulance instead of opting for the "Wee-Oooh-ber"

My issue with Tele health (and this is just my experience) is that everytime you call them, the answer is always the same: "Well, best to go to Emerg just in case."

Last edited:
Regarding fire services billing in Toronto for non-city residents,

Vehicle Incident Non-City Resident
First hour
Fee for Fire Apparatus response to vehicle incidents
Per Fire Vehicle $543.03

Vehicle Incident Non-City Resident
Each additional half hour
Fee for Fire Apparatus response to vehicle incidents
Per Fire Vehicle $271.51

Lumber said,
My issue with Tele health (and this is just my experience) is that everytime you call them, he answer is always the same: "Well, best to go to Emerg just in case."

Same if you, or more likely a third party, are the Call Originator of a 9-1-1 response in Ontario,

In the event that an individual refuses care and/or transport, the paramedic shall seek to have the individual or his or her substitute decision-maker, complete and sign the appropriate areas of the Refusal of Service portion of the Ambulance Call Report.

So we don't get sued.

Compare the cost of an ambulance with a funeral.

Right. Better safe than sorry.

A very real concern for some, apparently,

You have no idea the number of times I've seen patients arrive by car that could hardly walk, or were having an active stroke or heart attack. Part of the problem is that ambulance is not an insured service under most provincial health plans.

Back