• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Missing Titanic Sub

Lots of people avoid calling the ambulance because of the cost. My father in-law did multiple times.
My wife was visiting him one day when he had an episode and he was so adamant that my wife not call the ambulance that she called me at work asking what to do. He was having trouble breathing, to the point he was barely able to talk and his words made no sense. When I learned this I insisted she call the ambulance right away or I was going to.
She was not wanting to go against his wishes and in the stress of the situation she had trouble thinking it through.
She did call and he went along peacefully, I wasn't far away so I left work and made it there before the ambulance.

His reason was because he couldn't afford the ambulance fee.

Very decent of the federal government. Perhaps should include municipal government.

Our town charges non-city residents.
Canada belongs to ISMERLO - International SubMarine Escape and Rescue Liaison Office, which is a NATO organization as well as other countries that have submarines and potential rescue vehicles/capabilities, largely to deal with military subs that become disabled. For us, we deploy SAR assets as well as ship portable recompression chambers, as well as diving medical personnel, to deal with finding and treating casualties. It stands to reason that Canada would send resources, especially since the search area was reasonably close to Canada, and as is customary, mariners or submariners in distress are mariners or submariners in distress, regardless of where they are. To me it would fall into the "Shit Happens" file, cc'd to the "Good Training That Needed Doing Anyway" file. The plane was going to have to fly for proficiency anyway - here it was No Duff.

$ 0.02

Lots of people avoid calling the ambulance because of the cost.

< snip >

I know. It's a shame.

Lots of people avoid calling the ambulance because of the cost. My father in-law did multiple times.
My wife was visiting him one day when he had an episode and he was so adamant that my wife not call the ambulance that she called me at work asking what to do. He was having trouble breathing, to the point he was barely able to talk and his words made no sense. When I learned this I insisted she call the ambulance right away or I was going to.
She was not wanting to go against his wishes and in the stress of the situation she had trouble thinking it through.
She did call and he went along peacefully, I wasn't far away so I left work and made it there before the ambulance.

You have no idea the number of times I've seen patients arrive by car that could hardly walk, or were having an active stroke or heart attack. Part of the problem is that ambulance is not an insured service under most provincial health plans. The fees vary widely from province-to-province from a low of $45 to a high of about $250. Additionally, there's far too many people taking a cabulance, so response times are longer than optimal, and many people feel they can't wait the 9 minutes it takes for the ambulance to arrive. Further, ambulance funding models incentivise transport, taking yet more cars off the road. Many fire departments are blended services, and rely on ambulance fees. Add in time spent waiting at hospital to offload, and there's another compounding factor.

You have no idea the number of times I've seen patients arrive by car that could hardly walk, or were having an active stroke or heart attack. Part of the problem is that ambulance is not an insured service under most provincial health plans. The fees vary widely from province-to-province from a low of $45 to a high of about $250. Additionally, there's far too many people taking a cabulance, so response times are longer than optimal, and many people feel they can't wait the 9 minutes it takes for the ambulance to arrive. Further, ambulance funding models incentivise transport, taking yet more cars off the road. Many fire departments are blended services, and rely on ambulance fees. Add in time spent waiting at hospital to offload, and there's another compounding factor.

Replied in Emergency Services .....

Back