• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

bigger guys/girls and the medical

Actually Tom, they factor in your age, weight and heartrate in some complex ridiculous formula. Even if you finish up to stage 6, your body wait could be enough to not get you a pass. (Try the special K diet)

"Actually Tom, they factor in your age, weight and heartrate in some complex ridiculous formula. Even if you finish up to stage 6, your body wait could be enough to not get you a pass. (Try the special K diet)"

Really?

I stand corrected.

Doesn't seem to make any sort of sense, does it?

Tom

TCBF said:
"Actually Tom, they factor in your age, weight and heartrate in some complex ridiculous formula. Even if you finish up to stage 6, your body wait could be enough to not get you a pass. (Try the special K diet)"

Really?

I stand corrected.

Doesn't seem to make any sort of sense, does it?

Tom

yeah the test is an "estimated" vo2 max. Large and lean works against you. If they did an "actual" vo2 max the results would be different.

Yeah Tom the first time I did I failed and was peed, I got to the end of stage 6, no stops, heartrate was fine and the girl says oooh you missed it by 1 point or some such ridiculous thing. Then she said, if you were 5lbs lighter you would have made it  ::) So off I go, on special K 3 times a day for week, go back, do the retest and pass with flying colors. Ain't that a kick in the scrotum  8)

George Wallace said:
Also remember that Coffee and Tea (anything with Caffeine) will raise your heart rate, so don't have any for 24 hours prior to the test.
now that right there is a fact! I almost got punted off a course once because, prior to the fitness test (yeah... ::) ), I had my usual extra-large triple-triple/smoke/dip morning trifecta. (I know, I know! They're drugs, I'm an addict, leave me alone.) Poor little civvy chick about had a coniption! Course WO stepped in, things were settled, but it was a pain in the posterior for everyone concerned.

As for your weight stopping you from enlisting, or staying in, don't worry about it. If you can stand upright, see the sun, and hear thunder, you're a shoe-in. And they can't throw you out anymore, no matter how greasy and obese you may be, or how often you fail the "PT test". If necessary, they'll make you a uniform out of a circus tent.

Not that I'm bitter about this, or anything.

Yeah Island....same shit happened to me, so I went on a diet of sorts and dropped the 30lbs........The relative VO2Max is not the proper test to use but it is the most feasable and affordable for them.  I was extremely pissed off at how I failed when I did it fine but weighed 290lbs so it totally threw off the formula.......It should be done on a treadmill....set the treadmill to a certain speed and have the heart rate monitored to make sure it does not exceed a certain number and have the applicant run for a certain period of time.

If you weigh over 240lbs it is pretty tough to pass but anyone that weighs under 200lbs will pass no problem

I have done the test( here at civvie job), our gym manager used to do this for the government, on the step test I make it from level 4 to level 7 most times and days I don't have coffee I make it to level 8, I have the grip test ( 75 right 72 left) and have no worries on the PU and SU ( for 19)..........My fitness is good( and I am still really working on it, HARD), I am still S&(^ing my pants over the med, at 240 my BMI is like 35, which makes me "grossly obese" and "unhealthy" even though I am in better shape now than I have ever been...... Will the Med tech burn me on this....................I know this worry is not going to help the blood pressure....

cheers

I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs I can run the 2.4 km in 12 minutes even 11:30 on a good day I am scared out of my mind I can do unlimited push ups and seat-up. but the step test is what worries me. Should it? am I unnecessarily scaring myself or should I start hitting the track more often?

paracowboy said:
And they can't throw you out anymore, no matter how greasy and obese you may be, or how often you fail the "PT test". If necessary, they'll make you a uniform out of a circus tent.

hahahahahahahaha!!!! It's funny cause it's true... CADPAT muumuus, coming soon from CTS...

paracowboy said:
As for your weight stopping you from enlisting, or staying in, don't worry about it. If you can stand upright, see the sun, and hear thunder, you're a shoe-in. And they can't throw you out anymore, no matter how greasy and obese you may be, or how often you fail the "PT test".

We can pass the PT test Paracowboy. Not everyone who is over 200 pounds is a fatass. We're saying that the step test is not a fair test because of the equation used. People that can run the 2.4  in well under the time regularly fail the step test.

BeadWindow said:
Not everyone who is over 200 pounds is a fatass.
yeah, I know. I weigh well over 200 myself. It's a slam at the system, not you. Grow a thicker skin, or you're gonna have a hard time in an organization of alpha males. Read what's written, don't infer. I don't insinuate or play word games. I got a problem with someone, I say so.
Now, stop worrying yourself into a tizzy. I'll be shocked if anything short of a missing limb kept you out of Basic.

paracowboy said:
yeah, I know. I weigh well over 200 myself. It's a slam at the system, not you. Grow a thicker skin, or you're gonna have a hard time in an organization of alpha males. Read what's written, don't infer. I don't insinuate or play word games. I got a problem with someone, I say so.
Now, stop worrying yourself into a tizzy. I'll be shocked if anything short of a missing limb kept you out of Basic.

Im sorry did I sound like I was whining? Because I was "telling" not asking or whining.  ::) As for my "thinkness of skin"- I suggest you take your own advice. I wasnt attacking you.

BeadWindow said:
Im sorry did I sound like I was whining? Because I was "telling" not asking or whining.   ::) As for my "thinkness of skin"- I suggest you take your own advice. I wasnt attacking you.
group hug, then?

;D

I have been reading alot in the forums that most people only do 2 levels of the step test, is this correct?  I have been training( 3x a week with that great music) and I start at level 4 and go to where I have to stop, which at my age is a heart rate of 156( level 7 always sometimes level 8). 

How does your weight affect the numbers when they calculate where you start and where you finish, if you are heavy you would think they would start at a lower level, or am I way off on this thought.  Is there anyone out there that is in their early 30's that has done the test recently, I am curious to see where you started and where you finished.

cheers

a group hug sounds fun, is there alot of that at basic, and I am very suprised to hear that there are alot of alpha males in the forces ;D

For all those with blood pressure problems affecting your medical...24 hours is usually not enough to cut your blood pressure significantly enough and can also affect how you perform on the other tests. If you are serious about trying to fix your BP before your physical...cut it out completely a month or more before. If you can manage to cut it out early enough you won't feel the withdrawl affects during the brain parts. That would mean all caffeine, it is in pop, chocolate, tea and there is still caffeine in decaf.
Good Luck...

;D ;D  did the interview( went really well), the CFAT( lol, I qualified to everything but what I have been doing as a civvie for the last ten years, the signs are everywhere) and the medical went the best, the med tech noted I was in great shape, and he said that he sees no red flags in my file and he recommends me( or what ever med techs do durning this process).  So at this point I am pumped, now all I have to do is wait, again and again and again( its good practice).  the best part of the med was when I found out my scales at home read heavy( 9lbs heavy)..........So thanks to all that responded,

cheers

so where's my damn hug????
At least a freakin' cookie, or something!!

Man, I give and give. It hurts, and I give more. I get no respect, no affection...I slave all day over a hot keyboard...

Cpl Bloggins said:
Sorry I ate all the cookies.

Mmm....cookies..... ;D

That's what happens when you leave food in the CP... ya gotta watch the shifty sigs types...

Back