• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

bigger guys/girls and the medical

FITSUMO

Inactive
Reaction score
So I got the call to go in and do the CFAT, Interview and medical.  Happy about that, then I started to get worried, I am 5'10 and 240, AM I going to get burned on my medical, and should I bring my training/eating logs for the last year with me to the med, to show that I am not a couch potato and that I have lost 60 lbs and fit............(I am training for a 1/2 ironman and a ultra marathon  logging @200kms a week biking and 40-60kms a week running, plus weights and about 10 k swimming).......Do I need to panic about this????????

thanks

If you're 5'10" and fit then don't worry about it. You will probably be one of the fittest taking the test. If you're 86% body fat then yeah I'd start to worry, although you could probably still pass the pathetic entrance PT tests administered today.
I have seen some terribly unfit people entering training systems. :mad: 
Sounds like you are in great shape so don't sweat it...literally you probably won't.

I wouldn't worry about anything these days ...if you can breathe and have a pulse..you're in!!!

thanks for the info, as for the CFAT I went to chapters and picked up the GAT battery( lots of verbal and math tests) and the barons spatial relations tests, and the wife is a math teacher..........

You are not quite correct. You should worry about your physical fitness level as well as everything else. You may be able to pass basic training, however, if you are not fit when you show up to your new unit, you will be punished...........by the appropriate warning method (Verbal, Written, RW, C&P) or by being passed over for tours, courses, etc.

If you can't keep up on Platoon or Troop PT, you are not much help to the Platoon or Troop.

Fact of life, sorry

2023-  I understand what your saying, my concern was the fact that I do not look like(farmer build) I can do what I do, and I am worried about the med tech looking at me and saying I am way fat and a couch potato.  I am worried about the BMI thing, as I will never be in the weight range that is suggested, unless I lose both legs( and I need them for any trade in the CF)

I hear what your saying also, however, for someone to look at you and deem that you are out of shape is incorrect. Pass the PT test, stay fit and you will not a have a problem.

2023 said:
You are not quite correct. You should worry about your physical fitness level as well as everything else. You may be able to pass basic training, however, if you are not fit when you show up to your new unit, you will be punished...........by the appropriate warning method (Verbal, Written, RW, C&P) or by being passed over for tours, courses, etc.

If you can't keep up on Platoon or Troop PT, you are not much help to the Platoon or Troop.

Fact of life, sorry

I think the important point is that if he is as physical active as he states he is then he should have no problem meeting or exceeding the entrance requirements or, in fact, maintaining or exceeding the physical requirements while in the CF.  So by reciting the riot act on someone who is not even in at this time is not quite corect.

Obviously, you have been tethered to your mommy for way too long because that was hardly "reading anyone the riot act".

2023 said:
Obviously, you have been tethered to your mommy for way too long because that was hardly "reading anyone the riot act".

Yes and so?  I can't get enough of that yummy milk.  ::)

maybe if I stopped with that "yummy milk" I would not be 240!!!!!!!!!!

I going to get burned on my medical, and should I bring my training/eating logs for the last year with me to the med, to show that I am not a couch potato and that I have lost 60 lbs and fit

I suggest to bring your training log into the interview with you. They will be asking you lots of questions about your fitness and what you have been doing. If you have your log you got concrete data for them, on top of that it will show how serious you are taking the fitness aspect of the application. It would help to shed any doubts about your fitness level that they may have.

FITSUMO said:
maybe if I stopped with that "yummy milk" I would not be 240!!!!!!!!!!

Im 260 and fit as a fiddle. My medical went smoothly until he took my blood pressure 135/75. Now I have to through a bunch of damn tests to show Im not going to die.  :mad:

beadwindow- I also have a BP of 130/71, so I am curious about the tests you have to do....and did the med tech take more than one reading, as my BP tends to be high on the first reading and will come to normal after I am relaxed.....

Guys

Remember that your BP is constantly changing.  It will be different before a meal, than after.  Of course it will be higher after a workout, than after resting.  That is why there are numerous tests done during the Express Test.

Also remember that Coffee and Tea (anything with Caffeine) will raise your heart rate, so don't have any for 24 hours prior to the test.

The step test is not meant for someone with a high bodyweight.  I failed the first time even though I could run 5 miles and complete the 2.4km run in less time than it said was required.  I weighed 290lbs but am 6'3 and my bodyfat was relatively low.  I had to lose about 30lbs to pass the step test.  I passed it at a bodyweight of 260lbs.  I'll be at BOTC this fall, I am not saying I am the hugest but I will be about 285lbs with a low bodyfat %.  Basically what I am saying is the steptest is not an accurate way to measure ones fitness level since a large emphasis is placed on bodyweight.

FITSUMO said:
beadwindow- I also have a BP of 130/71, so I am curious about the tests you have to do....and did the med tech take more than one reading, as my BP tends to be high on the first reading and will come to normal after I am relaxed.....

130 is the line for systolic. So if you had that during your physical you are good to go. I have to get my Doctor to fil;l out some forms about why Im "hypertensive" but he wont because he thinks Im on steroids so he is fighting me every step of the way. I need a new doc. But his names are already on my forms :(

"Basically what I am saying is the steptest is not an accurate way to measure ones fitness level since a large emphasis is placed on bodyweight."

I thought the emphasis of the steptest was on heart rate.  What does that have to do with size?  Nothing.  If they think your heart might explode climbing Coyote Hill at Camp Wainwright, they don't care how much you weigh, they won't hire you.

Remember that big officer cadet who expired in St. Jean/Farnam on a march?  Any idea how much the publicity, court cases and general nausea and administration cost the CF?  We prob could have bought a C-17 when it was all over.  Not to mention the hidden costs of mollycodling everyone left alive for the rest of the summer.

Back