• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Question or Two

AndyBoy1029

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking of joining the CF, and applying for the ROTP. I am currently in grade 11, I have honour marks (84% average throughout high school, 90% average this year), and I take part in a few extra-curriculars.

My question is regarding the CFAT. I've done a bit of reading, and noticed that there is spatial reasoning on this test. Spatial reasoning is not my thing, I am absolutely atrocious at it. I have no doubt that the answers I get right will be few, and mostly luck (if I get any right). What I wanted to know is, is it possible to absolute bomb the spatial reasoning section, do very well on the verbal skills (from what I've seen those types of questions are incredibly easy (finding an antonym, or synonym to a word, and such things), and good/alright on the problem solving skills, and still have a decent amount of career options in the CF? Or would bombing the spatial reasoning, and only doing okay on the problem solving skills remove the likelihood of my becoming an officer in the CF?

No, you can't fail any segment of the CFAT and pass overall. If it wasn't important, they wouldn't put it on the test.

Since no one gets their scores on the CFAT and that discussing the questions inside the CFAT proper is forbidden, it's a bit hard to answer your question, so my official advice will be the oft repeated: Ask your recruiting center.

My personal and unofficial take will be: The spatial reasoning really wasn't that hard, even though I feel I failed a few questions (But then again, I don't know if I did!) and I qualified for Artillery, Infantry and Armour officer (As well, I assume, every other trade, since they didn't tell me of any restrictions). I'll also tell you what my file manager told me before taking the test: Practice doing divisions and multiplications with decimals by hand.

Chelomo said:
Since no one gets their scores on the CFAT and that discussing the questions inside the CFAT proper is forbidden, it's a bit hard to answer your question, so my official advice will be the oft repeated: Ask your recruiting center.

My personal and unofficial take will be: The spatial reasoning really wasn't that hard, even though I feel I failed a few questions (But then again, I don't know if I did!) and I qualified for Artillery, Infantry and Armour officer (As well, I assume, every other trade, since they didn't tell me of any restrictions). I'll also tell you what my file manager told me before taking the test: Practice doing divisions and multiplications with decimals by hand.

I see what you mean. I realize that you can't discuss the specifics of the CFAT questions, but would you be able to tell me if the CFAT spatial tests were easier, more difficult, or equal to the difficulty of this test? http://www.fibonicci.com/spatial-reasoning/test/easy/  or would that be saying too much?

SeR said:
No, you can't fail any segment of the CFAT and pass overall. If it wasn't important, they wouldn't put it on the test.

So if I got like 5/15, or some such mark I would have no career opportunities as an officer you would think?

AndyBoy1029 said:
So if I got like 5/15, or some such mark I would have no career opportunities as an officer you would think?

I don't now what the "pass/fail" mark is for every trade (and I can assume that very few on this site do), but like I stated before, if you fail any of the three parts on the test, you fail the entire test.

Just apply and take the test, if you pass; great, If you don't; try for NCM or something else. The testing is there to filter out the best potential candidates, not everyone passes.

Back