• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Sigh... if Justin Trudeau is responsible for 10% inflation across the globe he's a lot more effective than they make out, nice of him to twist the narrative on why Rayes left when he was pretty clear that he didn't want to be in the CPC under PP.

I absolutely hate the meaningless 'talking points' like that they work into every conversation.

He's the leader of the country or he's not. Which is it ?

This is some week 1 PLQ shit. You're boss in the good times and the shit times and you have be accountable for both.

He's the leader of the country or he's not. Which is it ?

This is some week 1 PLQ shit. You're boss in the good times and the shit times and you have be accountable for both.
His point is that world events are causing increased inflation throughout the world, yet there are those who blame all of the inflation in Canada solely on the decisions of Trudeau.

So, apparently sharing a tweet from twitter, but first adding a picture from the office to it in order to emphasize a certain assessment of the tweet (and to add humour), makes that tweet a "political meme", and according to the directing staff , political memes "don't add anything intelligent to the conversation" (actual quote). I find that somewhat hypocritical, because an internet meme is no more than a home made political cartoon found in many a news papers/news sites, and we're fine to share those on here. So, I will re share the tweet itself, and add written commentary instead of using Pam from the office to illustrate my point (since I am NOT the best at articulating my thoughts/feelings).
----

I'm sharing a comparison between a letter sent by Trump to his supporters against a letter sent by Poilievre sent to his supporters. On the one hand you could argue that sharing the same tactics as Trump doesn't necessarily make you "as bad" as Trump (and first you'd have to posit that Trump is, in fact, bad); after all, there must have been some things that Trump did well, and how does a method of soliciting donations make you a bad person? I would posit that it has more to do with the underlying message they are sharing, and the method which they are trying to encourage donations. They both are trying to convince their supporters that the main stream media is against them (DJT/PP), and if they are against them, then they are also against them (the people), and the only way to overcome this attack on their person is to donate to DJT/PP. Since I don't actually think the MSM is against people (biases notwithstanding), then I consider this grifting. People like DJT and PP are smart, and they are using people emotions to get money. So, I share this tweet (which itself is sharing from two letters sent out by prominent politicians), because not only do I dislike these types of tactics in general, but I also abhor the damage it does to the credibility of and trust in news media, which as I've said before, I believe is paramount to a well functioning demoncarcy.

PPvsTP.png
--
Was that intelligent enough?

His point is that world events are causing increased inflation throughout the world, yet there are those who blame all of the inflation in Canada solely on the decisions of Trudeau.

Outside factors does not remove one in a leadership position from responsibility.

I don't blame inflation on JT.

He does have to held accountable for his actions (or lack there of) on and methods (or lack there of) to recover.

Outside factors does not remove one in a leadership position from responsibility.

He does have to held accountable for his actions (or lack there of) on and methods (or lack there of) to recover.
Agreed, and his most recent announcement doesn't illicit much confidence in me.

I think he's right that it's low enough spending not to contribute to inflation, but it's not high enough to really help. A one time $500 bonus to help with housing costs? Thanks, but you just covered half of this month's rent, that's it.

And he is responsible by policy* for the extent of Canada’s deliberate increase of M2, which directly and proportionally affects money devaluation and inflation. Canada demonstrably increased its M2 proportionately more than several other G7/G20 nations, so any claim that Trudeau was essentially along for the ride re: inflation is fundamentally wrong.

*edit to add - GoC fiscal policy which has direct influence with BoC policies.

Last edited:
Since you want to take a tantrum on open forums, I'll clarify: if you cant see how posting memes devalues intelligent debate then maybe you're best served arguing on r/politics. Our threads were a dumpster fire of memes, name calling and "cartoons" that had no value other than partisan sniper fire. The rules aren't changing because you didn't read them and your feelings got hurt.

So yes, it's intelligent enough. Mature enough of response to a simple course correction? I'll leave that alone.

- Milnet.ca Staff

And he is responsible by policy for the extent of Canada’s deliberate increase of M2, which directly and proportionally affects money devaluation and inflation. Canada demonstrably increased its M2 proportionately more than several other G7/G20 nations, so any claim that Trudeau was essentially along for the ride re: inflation is fundamentally wrong.
M2 (and monetary policy in general), is controlled by the BOC, which is independent from the PMO. If you're insinuating that the PMO is pulling the BOC's strings, well that's a whole other discussion, but I think you can predict my opinion on that. However, if you're simply saying that PMO's/JT's policies forced the BOC to increase money supply to try and counteract the PMO's policies' effects on inflation, then I could buy that argument. However, here's a list of G20 countries who's money supply has increased MORE than Canada's in the past 12 months:
1. Germany
2. United Kingdom
3. Russia
4. Saudi Arabia
5. Australia
6. Argentina
7. Brazil
8. Mexico
9. China
10. South Africa
11. France
12. India
13. Indonesia
14. South Korea
15. Turkey

M2 (and monetary policy in general), is controlled by the BOC, which is independent from the PMO. If you're insinuating that the PMO is pulling the BOC's strings, well that's a whole other discussion, but I think you can predict my opinion on that. However, if you're simply saying that PMO's/JT's policies forced the BOC to increase money supply to try and counteract the PMO's policies' effects on inflation, then I could buy that argument. However, here's a list of G20 countries who's money supply has increased MORE than Canada's in the past 12 months:
1. Germany
2. United Kingdom
3. Russia
4. Saudi Arabia
5. Australia
6. Argentina
7. Brazil
8. Mexico
9. China
10. South Africa
11. France
12. India
13. Indonesia
14. South Korea
15. Turkey
Got it. Clearly the BoC’s fault. Trudeau gets a pass, not his fault and in no way at all could have had any influence on the BoC because, demand signals like huge deficits are in no way linked to monetary policy. Got it.
Since you didn’t actually post a link for your claim above, I can’t question the source, but

In the less M2 increase than Canada (and decreases for all of them, in fact) category of G20s are:

Indonesia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
South Korea
Spain

I’ll even add a reputable reference.

Since you want to take a tantrum on open forums, I'll clarify: if you cant see how posting memes devalues intelligent debate then maybe you're best served arguing on r/politics. Our threads were a dumpster fire of memes, name calling and "cartoons" that had no value other than partisan sniper fire. The rules aren't changing because you didn't read them and your feelings got hurt.

So yes, it's intelligent enough. Mature enough of response to a simple course correction? I'll leave that alone.

- Milnet.ca Staff
I just read through the "Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ", the "change to political board" thread, and the "How to engage in political discourse on Army.ca" thread, and even the Staff Guidelines.

I couldn't find where it says you can't post political memes or cartoons in the politics forum? (A political cartoon is technically a meme, which is simply any piece of culture that can be copied or replicated.)

Could you please point me toward where that rule is, so that I can see any other rules I should probably be made aware of.

Got it. Clearly the BoC’s fault. Trudeau gets a pass, not his fault and in no way at all could have had any influence on the BoC because, demand signals like huge deficits are in no way linked to monetary policy. Got it.
Since you didn’t actually post a link for your claim above, I can’t question the source, but

In the less M2 increase than Canada (and decreases for all of them, in fact) category of G20s are:

Indonesia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
South Korea
Spain

I’ll even add a reputable reference.

Sorry, I meant to include the source. I actually don't think I meant to hit send yet, I had more to say about both our monetary and fiscal policy being actually well managed in the face of world events. But, anyways, here's the link. This is for the last 12 months, so not necessarily the height of the pandemic: Money supply (broad money) around the world | TheGlobalEconomy.com

And in line with most other countries, the rate of increase of Canada's monetary supply has decreased drastically since the peak of the pandemic:
Canada’s Money Supply Is Decelerating At A Rate That Typically Precedes A Recession - Better Dwelling

Look, lets temper this one down a little. I'm not denying that fiscal policy has an effect on monetary policy. I'm just not sure of who you're attacking anymore. You attacked JT for his effect on M2 and how that effects inflation. I said he's not responsible for M2. You said, you're right, but his policies affect M2. Ok, then why bring up M2 at all, why not just attack his policies and their overall effect on the economy? As far as I see it, the increase in M2 was a smart decision by the BOC needed to counteract the effects of over spending. Canada is fairing fairly well compared to others (Research from 44 countries shows levels of rising inflation across the world), so I'm curious what PP think he can do that's better than what we've done.

Tugging at heart strings is what sells. It sells movies, books, music. It sells cars, weapons, factories and soap. And it sells politicians. Especially politicians. Of all parties.

And thus it is impossible to have an emotionless debate.

You said, you're right, but his policies affect M2.
I should have been clearer with my sarcasm about ‘it not being JTs fault’…I still directly hold him responsible for M2 impact because HIS government’s fiscal policy directly influenced the need for the BoC to issue bonds/etc. to finance the enormous deficit. It is my personal belief that the Canadian response to COVID was one of the more ‘Cadillac’ like responses to the pandemic, which added to the Trudeau government’s basic propensity to spend, spend, spend, exacerbated an already near perfect storm.

Clearly the two of us won’t and need not see things the same, which is entirely okay IMO. I personally believe that Trudeau tends to take a very selective view of accountability, and while I’m not the biggest PP fan by a long stretch, can’t help but believe that there is an underlying asymmetry to who gets handled with kid gloves and who gets the evildoer end of the country as we know it approach. YMMV.

Sorry, I meant to include the source. I actually don't think I meant to hit send yet, I had more to say about both our monetary and fiscal policy being actually well managed in the face of world events. But, anyways, here's the link. This is for the last 12 months, so not necessarily the height of the pandemic: Money supply (broad money) around the world | TheGlobalEconomy.com

And in line with most other countries, the rate of increase of Canada's monetary supply has decreased drastically since the peak of the pandemic:
Canada’s Money Supply Is Decelerating At A Rate That Typically Precedes A Recession - Better Dwelling

Look, lets temper this one down a little. I'm not denying that fiscal policy has an effect on monetary policy. I'm just not sure of who you're attacking anymore. You attacked JT for his effect on M2 and how that effects inflation. I said he's not responsible for M2. You said, you're right, but his policies affect M2. Ok, then why bring up M2 at all, why not just attack his policies and their overall effect on the economy? As far as I see it, the increase in M2 was a smart decision by the BOC needed to counteract the effects of over spending. Canada is fairing fairly well compared to others (Research from 44 countries shows levels of rising inflation across the world), so I'm curious what PP think he can do that's better than what we've done.

Staying on a sinking ship until it capsizes might keep you dry for a bit, maybe longer than others, but its not a measure of success. I can appreciate your positive out look on things though ;)

I recently has a conversation with a well-connected Liberal party friend of mine. We were talking about carbon tax, which I am obviously not in support of.

Their position was that it was a minimal increase and as a middle (upper +/-) class family we should be able absorb that.

My response was simply, who was he or the Gov to decide what I felt was a cost increase my family should or shouldn’t be able to absorb. And I am getting sick and tired of the Gov (all levels) reaching into my pay cheque and taking.

Understanding quantitative easing (BoC).

"QE is not the same as printing cash. Under QE, we buy bonds in the open market from financial institutions. And the funds that we use to pay for these purchases end up being deposited in accounts that financial institutions have at the Bank in the form of settlement balances.

Settlement balances (or reserves) are a unique type of money that the central bank creates. They are a normal part of central banking operations. Financial institutions use them to settle payments among themselves. We pay interest on these balances, like deposits at a regular bank.

Being able to issue settlement balances is a privilege that only central banks have. We use this ability carefully to fulfill our mandate of promoting Canada’s economic and financial welfare.

It’s important for central banks to be independent from the government. Simply put, the power to create money should be kept separate from the power to spend money."

Left unstated is what happens if the banks would do without that special money in settlement balances. I am skeptical that one kind of money can be walled off from another kind of money without the inherent fungibility of money bleeding through. And since I can't imagine the BoC standing by and allowing the government to default, the final quoted sentence is just an aspiration - the latter forces the former.

Most people can absorb the carbon tax, just like they absorb any other cost - they pay it at the expense of something else they might have bought (unless they are receiving some kind of carbon tax rebate). Their overall consumption goes down (they are paying more for the same amount of something); whoever might have provided the foregone goods/services is out a little bit of revenue.

This link suggests that maybe Canada was doing something a little bit more

also this paper in press attempts to tease out the various causes of inflation in Canada

So, apparently sharing a tweet from twitter, but first adding a picture from the office to it in order to emphasize a certain assessment of the tweet (and to add humour), makes that tweet a "political meme", and according to the directing staff , political memes "don't add anything intelligent to the conversation" (actual quote). I find that somewhat hypocritical, because an internet meme is no more than a home made political cartoon found in many a news papers/news sites, and we're fine to share those on here. So, I will re share the tweet itself, and add written commentary instead of using Pam from the office to illustrate my point (since I am NOT the best at articulating my thoughts/feelings).
----

I'm sharing a comparison between a letter sent by Trump to his supporters against a letter sent by Poilievre sent to his supporters. On the one hand you could argue that sharing the same tactics as Trump doesn't necessarily make you "as bad" as Trump (and first you'd have to posit that Trump is, in fact, bad); after all, there must have been some things that Trump did well, and how does a method of soliciting donations make you a bad person? I would posit that it has more to do with the underlying message they are sharing, and the method which they are trying to encourage donations. They both are trying to convince their supporters that the main stream media is against them (DJT/PP), and if they are against them, then they are also against them (the people), and the only way to overcome this attack on their person is to donate to DJT/PP. Since I don't actually think the MSM is against people (biases notwithstanding), then I consider this grifting. People like DJT and PP are smart, and they are using people emotions to get money. So, I share this tweet (which itself is sharing from two letters sent out by prominent politicians), because not only do I dislike these types of tactics in general, but I also abhor the damage it does to the credibility of and trust in news media, which as I've said before, I believe is paramount to a well functioning demoncarcy.

View attachment 73570
--
I will argue that the MSM has mostly their selves to blame for the lack of trust. God awful reporting and very evident bias while proclaiming they are not. At least the Guardian and the National Observer are pretty clear on their bias, which I am ok with, even if I disagree with it. The politicans are exploiting a problem the MSM created.

Back