• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WW2 US Dog Tag find - Rockhampton QLD 2008

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
An interesting find given to me by a friend recently.

This tag is of the early US type with the soldier's address and NOK on the tag. Sometime after 1942, the NOK and address info was scrapped, and a tag with just the soldiers info was adopted.

With 10s of thousands of US soldiers already in Australia, waiting to begin their island hopping campaign agains the Japanese, the surplus quantity of these tags were disgarded, and about 50 tags, mainly all from the same Unit, based out of Portland Oregon, were recoved where a former US Army training/holding camp used to be near Rockhampton, about 650km from where I live.

I googled this info, and found this http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&rid=2107815,  then I checked out casualties from his local county, and that Hal survived the war. If he was alive, he would be in his mid 90s.

Here is the tag. There is noticable wear as the chain hole is enlongated from chain wear. Anyways, a true interesting find for anyone who is interested.

OWDU

20931220 SGT Hal D Lynn of 826 North Humbolt Street Portland, Oregon, I wonder if he has any family still alive?

Hal was single, and the person named Betty must have been his mother or sister? I had even google mapped his address, but it looks like the house was replaced with modern units.

OWDU

I would suggest contacting the local paper sounds like something they might help with.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/

Hal D. Lynn
SSN: 540-18-2460 
Last Residence: 97232  Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, United States of America
Born: 27 Aug 1916
Died: 20 Mar 1989
State (Year) SSN issued: Oregon (Before 1951)

Overwatch Downunder said:
An interesting find given to me by a friend recently.

This tag is of the early US type with the soldier's address and NOK on the tag. Sometime after 1942, the NOK and address info was scrapped, and a tag with just the soldiers info was adopted.

With 10s of thousands of US soldiers already in Australia, waiting to begin their island hopping campaign agains the Japanese, the surplus quantity of these tags were disgarded, and about 50 tags, mainly all from the same Unit, based out of Portland Oregon, were recoved where a former US Army training/holding camp used to be near Rockhampton, about 650km from where I live.

I googled this info, and found this http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&rid=2107815,  then I checked out casualties from his local county, and that Hal survived the war. If he was alive, he would be in his mid 90s.

Here is the tag. There is noticable wear as the chain hole is enlongated from chain wear. Anyways, a true interesting find for anyone who is interested.

OWDU
He was a National Guardsman from the 9th Corps area. HQTRS Presidio of SF. Units from WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, NV, UT, AK fell under it's administrative command.

Tetanus series 1942
Blood Type A

He was a Member of the 41st infantry Division, from one of these units:

HQ 41st Infantry Division
162nd Infantry Regiment
163rd Infantry Regiment
186th Infantry Regiment
41st Division Artillery
146th Field Artillery Battalion
167th Field Artillery Battalion
205th Field Artillery Battalion
218th Field Artillery Battalion
41st Reconnaissance Troop
41st Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment
41st Military Police Platoon
41st Signal Company
741st Ordnance Light Maintenance Company
641st Tank Destroyer Battalion
116th Engineer Combat Battalion
116th Medical Battalion
116th Quartermaster Company

Theodore Roosevelts son Archibald commanded 2nd Bn, 162nd Inf until wounded on August 12th, 1943 when a Japanese grenade shattered his right knee, the same Knee which was shattered in WW1.

The division fought at
Buna
Gona
Wakde
Aitape
Salamaua
Biak
Palawan
Zamboanga(where the Monkeys have no tails)
Sulu Archipeligo

743 KIA
3,504 WIA
217 DOW

Not sure if you’re still out there or if you still have the dog tags for Hal D Lynn, but I would be interested in retrieving them for my mother, Hal’s daughter that he never knew.

Back