• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

world war one soldier Write up

CADPAT SOLDIER

Inactive
Reaction score
I have to hand this in tomorrow to be put in a Time capsule and buried at Vimy ridge, It's supposed to be one page in length, can anyone think of something to add, I don't have alot of stuff to go off of other than rank, its still a work in progress.

On april 9 1917 David wilson Aitken prepared the company under his command for the coming attack, he knew the risks, he knew that he had several platoons of young men, barely more then boys under his command, at least a hundred young green privates that had signed on the dotted line to serve their country. All these young men looked at there Sargeant Major, David Aitken for leadership and guidance for the battle ahead. They signed up to serve there country. Aitken wasn’t from Canada, he had come here looking for a better life, he came from Scotland after being born in Edinburgh, he serve with the military in Scotland, defending freedom ran in his viens, but where he was from didn’t matter in the trenches, Lester B. Pearson once said  “I had as comrades in my World War I army section men whose names were: Cameron, Kimora, English, Gleidenstein, de Chapin, O'Shaughnessy. We didn't fall in or fall out as Irish Canadians, French Canadians, Dutch Canadians, Japanese Canadians. We wore the same uniform, with the same maple leaf badge, and we were proud to be known as Canadians, to serve as Canadians and to die, if it had to be, as Canadians.”
  CSM Aitken wasn’t always a warrior, he was a tailor by profession but always a soldier first, he had a wife and a home which still stands to this day, perhaps that in itself is a testament to CSM Aitken’s contribution to the world, He may have been a soldier and a tailor, but he was also a farmer, a farmer of freedom he sowed the seeds of freedom and never lived to see his crop reaped, because on that morning, the morning of April 9, 1917 the CSM, no doubt one of the first to lead the charge towards the German Hordes, was killed, he died in the mud in Vimy, It’s that field in which he planted his seeds of freedom and it’s his blood that seeped into the muck and mud that day to fertilize them.
We as a people have to remember that freedom isn't free. It's paid for with human lives and shed blood.

Did you order his service records from the Library and Archives Canada? (LINK)

Have you reviewed the 78th Canadian Infantry Battalion's War Diary? (LINK)

Did you know there was a photo of  Company Sergeant Major  DAVID WILSON  AITKEN on the CANADIAN VIRTUAL WAR MEMORIAL? (LINK)

I don't mean this as any offense, but I would love to edit this for you dude, the content looks good, I don't have much to offer there. If you get a chance, give me a shout, I'll be up at 0700 EST (GMT-5) if you want. Let me know!
-Fyuri

Fyuri said:
I don't mean this as any offense, but I would love to edit this for you dude, the content looks good, I don't have much to offer there. If you get a chance, give me a shout, I'll be up at 0700 EST (GMT-5) if you want. Let me know!
-Fyuri

I, too, think you did a great job, but as this is going into a 'historical' time capsule, you would like to remembered as being literate.  You should check your spelling and grammar before you submit it.  For instance, you have used "there" several times, instead of "their".  There is a big difference in their meanings.  You don't want to be remembered in the future for your poor grammar and spelling, now, do you?   ;)

Back