• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why are we importing dead Canadian soldiers?

FireMission said:
Gentlemen,

I am a daily reader of Bourque - quite right, similar to the Drudge Report.  I checked and re-checked the headline - about importing dead Canadian Soldiers, which then also had a Poll attached to it.

For those who are freaking out - well, just slow down and engage brain.  The subtle point is - our Country to Country Trade is virtually nil, with Afghanistan.  Thus, so far, the implied intent is - all we are importing from the 'Stan is our own dead soldiers.  

As a serving Reg Force officer - feel free to check my profile - the headline is controversial - but certainly not meant to be insulting, to the sacrifices of our soldiers.  Anyone who is a regular reader of Bourque will see he posts a significant amount of both pro - and con - info on his site.  And certainly, I would submit he has been a very strong supporter of the serving CF members, in my opinion.  

Perhaps most telling, in my opinion, is that the Poll on site, has the majority in favour of remaining in the 'Stan, vice pulling out.

So, those of you who wish to wage war, with a fellow who is, on balance, a friend of serving CF members, would be taking, what I believe, is ill considered action.  We are in the 'Stan to protect freedom of speech, freedom from tyranny, yadda yadda - so it seems a bit hypocritical to then attack someone in our own country for writing a perhaps, too subtle, headline.  However, in a free and democratic country, go forth and exercise your democratic rights - as you see fit.  

Well sir I put it to you this way.  People on this site posted a link to that poll.  Discussion about it started which then was interpreted as a "Declaration of War against Bourque".  You'll see his link back to this thread and also you'll see the post that indicates that indicates he did this. Everything before was quite docile in my view.  We can disagree with what he said but then he turns that into a declaration of war on our part.  Thus some of the more sarcastic comments related to that declaration (myself included).  Frankly that poll and the headline (now removed it would seem) is inflammatory.  Look at the two questions and tell me that is a balanced approach.  So he should expect a reaction.  He has a right to his opinion as do we. No one is saying otherwise.

Well sir I put it to you this way.  People on this site posted a link to that poll.  Discussion about it started which then was interpreted as a "Declaration of War against Bourque".  You'll see his link back to this thread and also you'll see the post that indicates that indicates he did this. Everything before was quite docile in my view.  We can disagree with what he said but then he turns that into a declaration of war on our part.  Thus some of the more sarcastic comments related to that declaration (myself included).  Frankly that poll and the headline (now removed it would seem) is inflammatory.  Look at the two questions and tell me that is a balanced approach.  So he should expect a reaction.  He has a right to his opinion as do we. No one is saying otherwise.

Crantor - well put. 

The third post on this link, in response is as fols, by Frederick G:

People somehow managed to get forsakethetroops.com to shut down. Maybe the same can be done to that traitorous idiot?

As of one minute ago - the Bourque Article link to the Army.ca site remains up - and the Poll sits there was well. 

Always makes for an enjoyable day, reading the news. 

All the best.

Sorry, I meant to say that the original headline was removed. Not the poll.

Crantor said:
...  Frankly that poll and the headline (now removed it would seem) ...

Still there - check the "Recent News" button at the top of the page.  It's just been moved off the "Front Page" by more recent items being added.  Quite normal, nothing sinister about it.

Not matter what people say, the original comment on that web site was very, very tasteless.  :threat:

What an utterly tasteless headline.

Although it isn't in my self-interest to say so, Bourque does run a pretty good site, ethical issues notwithstanding, and he's good at capturing the biggest stories of the day.

Nevertheless: I think aggregator.ca is more agreeable with this crowd than Bourque could hope to be. We're a news aggregator service focusing on freedom, capitalism, anti-communism, politics, climate change and the war on terror-- we are staunch supporters of the troops, the forces in general and the mission in Afghanistan.

Bourque and National Newswatch are, in my opinion, little more than RSS feeds for the Globe, CTV and CBC. Aggregator always goes farther and deeper to get the honest and important stories.

As I said I am biased, so please do check out www.aggregator.ca for yourselves and make up your own mind.

Yes tasteless.
However why waste a saturday in anger?It basically turns into a group of civilians arguing about bushes war.Do you think anything your "army brainwashed"mind types is taken seriously?Of course not.
It sort of like yelling at a parrot that tell's you to "go **** yourself".He's going to keep saying it as thats all his feible mind can grasp.And all he hears coming out of your mouth in drabble.

Declaring war?Thats kind of lame.Next they will be typing in comments like "their home from overseas trying to rule,now they want to rule us at home."

Why entertain them?Why attempt to take them out of their cozy life and try to make them understand how this would offend soldiers?

Firemission: I'm guessing you know the soldier being carried below the caption?Otherwise I would suggest you think about the poor bastards who watched this man die.I suggest you think about his family.Then think about the caption.Otherwise STFU.Personally if that was my brother,friend,crewmemberI would be greatly offended to him being ******* IMPORTED.

Uhg*  what a waste on Mike's server.
Mods if you want to close the hole in our supposed "battle-line," might I suggest you delete the thread? That way the link on Bourque's webpage will lead to some dead end causing others to just turn around. Lets plug the hole.

career_radio-checker said:
Uhg*  what a waste on Mike's server.
Mods if you want to close the hole in our supposed "battle-line," might I suggest you delete the thread? That way the link on Bourque's webpage will lead to some dead end causing others to just turn around. Lets plug the hole.

I don't understand why you'd want to do this.  Why would you NOT want others to see what is on offer here (no matter how they get here)?

I don't get the reasoning behind your suggestion.

Roy

Roy Harding said:
I don't understand why you'd want to do this.  Why would you NOT want others to see what is on offer here (no matter how they get here)?

I don't get the reasoning behind your suggestion.

Roy

Remember a little while ago Mike asked for people to watch the tone of the website?
Well, you said it yourself

Roy Harding said:
I see four types of people who will click on the link:

• Those who will look around, decide it's not for them, and leave
  • Those who will look around, disagree with us, and engage us in intelligent conversation
  • Those who will look around, agree with us, and become members
  • Those who will come in, leave a drive-by smearing, and leave

I see it as free advertising for the site!

The fourth type may make some work for the Mods.  I guess we'll just have to see.  It may also give an indication of how popular Mr. Bourque's site is (not that it matters - just idle curiousity.)

yes it will cause work for the mods, but why should it?
We've seen these threads before. Even the one's who engage in intelligent debate end up, sooner or later, getting band. You can spend hours and hours arguing with them and they still won't agree to "Why we fight"; just as they spend hours and hours trying to convince us of their position. It never works, its a waste of time, and it digresses into name calling. Let's agree to disagree and carry on.

Remember a little while ago Mike asked for people to watch the tone of the website?

Huh? 

yes it will cause work for the mods, but why should it?
We've seen these threads before. Even the one's who engage in intelligent debate end up, sooner or later, getting band. You can spend hours and hours arguing with them and they still won't agree to "Why we fight"; just as they spend hours and hours trying to convince us of their position. It never works, its a waste of time, and it digresses into name calling. Let's agree to disagree and carry on.

I think you're leaving out the third type of visitor I mentioned.

And I'm quite happy to "agree to disagree" and carry on - I'm even happier to understand what people who I generally respect (and this includes you) are driving at.

I haven't seen this thread get too out of control.  Seems fine for now.  Although I don't think that there is very much left to add.

But I'm not  a mod. So what do I know.

True wisdom lies in understanding that you know nothing.  Hey, I should get that on a tea towel or something!

Frederik G said:
People somehow managed to get forsakethetroops.com to shut down. Maybe the same can be done to that traitorous idiot?

A whois search returned this:*
*This is all publicly available on the internet.

Do yourself a favour and quit posting for awhile....

This Topic is not solving anything....what people out on their own sites is really not a concern of Army.Ca. Don't drag the site into a war with another site.

Army.ca Staff

Bourque admits running paid for stories. Who came up with the headline, I couldn't say.

I will speculate that what has happened goes like this.

Bourque runs paid for CBC piece.

Bourque takes the hornets nest that someone was trying to set up and

runs his OWN Story which lobs the nest right back at CBC.

G*d Bless every one of you shaping events in that "extraordinary piece of desert"

John Weller

For a one day thread, that must be a record :

Read 2865 times

Michael O'Leary said:
It's tabloid journalism, giving it attention only serves their purpose.

Oh so very true! Wasting your own precious time paying attention or replying to it, only adds fuel to thier own fire and this is what they want.

Rebecca

Back