• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Westies

RiflemanPhil

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking for some members of the westies regiment. I tried to send an email to the recruiter of the reg't, but i have not received a response. I am a member of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles. I enlisted last June, and I took my BMQ/SQ during the summer. I took part in the urban warfare training this year, and I just finished Exercise Charging Bison (the 38 Brigade Ex). This July, I am going to Wainwright to take my BIQ. However, I may be going to UBC next year for college, and I am considering transfering to the Westies. Could you tell me about your training schedule, the length of time it would take to commute to yiour armouries from the UBC campus, the activities you have been working on this year, and if you still go down to the states and train with the national guard every now and then?

Hi....

Being a Westie, I can tell you that it's a great place, with great guys.

Call and leave a message, 604-666-4282......The Sgt. will get back to you.

The Westies are a great unit, however if you are going to be living and studying at UBC then you may want to consider the Seaforth's  as they are a lot closer. If you are interested give the BnOR a shout at (604)-666-4379.

39 BCG units still train at Ft.Lewis and on occasion at Yakima, however it is rare that they train with the National Guard.

Cheers
Noneck

Gonna have to go with Noneck on this one......

Seaforth would be the best route. If you're into a frustrating commute, you can come out to New West....Seaforth is a hop skip and a jump from UBC.

The trip to the Westie armouries wouldn't be that bad, probably around 30min. We will probably be going to Ft Lewis next year but that shouldn't be a factor. We will be doing patrolling and urban ops prior to Cougar Salvo along with some interesting range ex's. It is shaping up to be a good year. Way to try and cut my grass noneck!!!!!!! TM are you planning to change units??????? hehe

Fort Lewis, check here http://www.lewis.army.mil/  it's a US Army Base

Yakima, a city in the state of Washington. I guess its a US Army training area (? can someone inform if info is incorrect)

Yakima has a ginormouse firing range system, up to and including ADB's (I think).

Air Dropped Bomb.... I guess the acronym du jour has changed sinse my HA course..... :-[

Ah ok, got to remember Kat us "rentals" don't get those alphabet courses  ;) ;D

I'll be transferring to the westies after the next tour out of Edmonton.I'll be moving to the Chilliwack area.

Ahhhhh Dean! No buddy, I won't be leaving the unit! I just remember the commute when I was a young lad from Surrey to the SHoC.....It was tough trying to get out there right after work and make the parade timing.

I can't imaging commuting into Vancouver now from where I live.......

You'll enjoy either unit you decide to go to.....Decent guys pretty well everywhere you go.

RiflemanPhil- "Commute or kilt" up to you....but this being Canada in 2006 no units are structured around ethnic lines so that shouldn't really be a factor in your decision. Apart from one officer and one other SNCO there are only 3 people in the regiment who were born in the "old country". That being said the Seaforth's and the Westies are usually combined to form a Company for any big exercises such as Cougar Salvo. The units have historically worked well and played well together.

I would have to disagree with Westie47 on the commute time as well, I think you are going to be WELL over 30 minutes on your way in, however 30 minutes is probably accurate for your return trip.

Noneck
P.S
Westie47, TM was a Seaforth!! TM saw you on TV but not for a good reason..stay safe.

Haha, noneck, I certainly see what you mean. For me its not a rascist or ethno-biased point, just some sentimental history. My family has fought in British army units (not highland ones) for centuries, quite literally, and I'd rather not break the chain. I have no problems with highland units in their skills, just for me, sentimentally, i prefer others. I won't mind the commute, I'll just do homework or something and I'll get a locker at the armouries for my kit. And I know about the composite companies (eg charging bison 06). Here in winnipeg, we have the cameron higlanders and the rifles, and we work together all the time, though theres been many a time where all of us rifles roll our eyes at the cameron mentality, lol.  ::)  ;D. Anyhow, thanks for the imput, and I look forward to working with you guys soon!

Back