• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Truth, Duty, Valour & CANAM cup.

Enzo

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m finishing this episode of TDV. I‘m impressed with what I saw and surprised by some of what I learned. I‘m not an armoured guy yet I thought I knew a few things about these vehicles. I was surprised that the Yanks considered the Thermals on the LeoC2 to be superior to their own. I paid attention to the difference in tactics, how due to the sighting systems the M1A1‘s were able to back down behind the berm and decide upon the next target (reducing their silhouette) while the Leo‘s remained exposed on the top.

How many years remain for this competition? Will we eventually be sending "Strykers" down to compete??

I do not understand. Armour is the queen, if the Germans have Leopards that they want to part with, why is our government not purchasing them??

I could go on a rant about this, but I would be speaking to the choir.

I just have to take a deep breath and shake my head.

Nuts, I missed that episode. A former RSM of my corp was in it. He was the last cadet from my corp to do para. He recently came back to the corp in December to tell us about his time in the RMC. He also spoke about his time at the CANAM cup. Had some cool things to say.

Boo, I was sad at the end when our reg force guys lost to the National Guard. :crybaby:

Also from what I remember, we lost on the night part of the competition.

:tank:

They made a mistake though....they said our Leopards have 2 12.7mmm machine guns. Back when I wore green the National Guard guys were just as good as the Reg Force guys so it did not surprise me they done well.

I dont fully know about the National Guard, but are they not like our reserve, except they fight at home?

If so, how are they trained so well?

The National Guard is pretty much like the Reserve, except they mainly deal with emergincies state side(ie, floods, earthquakes). A lot of National Guard units are deployed in Iraq also. There not called up much, but since the Active Army(Reg Force) is stretched out so much, the US is/has deployed a good majority of its Reserve units and National Guard.

I figured the Yanks had far superior tanks then ours and would have beaten our pants off. They lost by 3 points.

They made a mistake though....they said our Leopards have 2 12.7mmm machine guns
I noticed that too! I was kind of wondering, since having fired the C6, that unless they supersized the tank version the shells were a *little* bit smaller than 12.7 mm :fifty:

Apparently we were leading the day part of the shoot, and thats the part that the Nat‘l guard teams were so excited about...just as we thought our tanks would have the night advantage.
:confused:

Enzo:

I thought that you were joining the Infantry? :)

The Canadians were suffering some sort of boresighting problem on a couple of the tanks, which meant that they had to aim slightly below the target to get a hit, doesn‘t make it easy! Likely a problem with the linkages in the Primary Sight.

I also noticed the 12.7mm remark and wondered if the weight they mentioned for the Leopard C2 as 62 tons was correct? None of these tanks seem to be equipped with the new armour package, so I am doubtful of the weight. Can anyone enlighten us on this?

Veteran‘s Son - "I‘m not an armoured guy, yet I thought I knew a few things about these vehicles." Sorry, I should have place a comma in there. (guy, yet) I mainly was surprised by some of what I heard on the show. Caught the errors (2x12.7mm? WT?) and surprised by the Yanks comments about the optics. Notice that range came into it as that one Can Officer commented on the advantage of the M1‘s 120mm. I‘d like to see these teams place MILES gear on those tanks and have at ‘er. See who comes out ahead then.

As for the Yank team, this was only one battallion that they drew their guys from, 4500 pers. How many in L Strath‘s?

As for my return to the Infantry, I‘m still awaiting an answer from the CDS‘s office, should arrive by the end of next week, give or take. If it‘s positive, then I‘ll have to pick a unit - as long as I continue with school, I‘ll choose a local reserve unit, deciding upon which one as I‘m an optimist. Since I live on the island, a part of me is giving into my maritime self and considering the Navy - MARS(R), put some of my MED training to use eh. Before it comes to that though, I plan on going down to the C Scot R and seeing if they have room for another officer.

If the letter comes in as a negative, then the OM‘s office is going to review my file and decide upon whether an investigation is appropriate (as of now they‘re leaning that way). Whether any of that will do any good, who knows, most likely waste another bloody year of my life. The weathers improving nicely, so if I‘m going to coast, may as well be on the coast. The mini-skirts will be reappearing on the campus soon, could be worse.

are they useing C2‘s or the C1‘s in that epsiode?

Ok first of all they were in fact using C2's.  The C2 is equipped with a thermal sight far superior to that of any version of the M1.  The C2's were not exposed longer than the M1's as the shoot was all done from the offensive standpoint where the tank is fully exposed.  Also the Sight on the C2 is above the turret as is the sight on the M1A2 and can hide behind hills in a sights up position just as easily.  The difference is the hunter killer sight feature of the M1A2 that allows the CC to search out the next target and program it into the computer as the gunner is engaging a previous target.

There were, I want to say, 6 Leos with 2 reserve or 4 Leos with 2 reserve to MAKE 6 total.  A few SQN mates of mine were at that Can-Am Cup and are STILL bitter about having lost, which most continue to argue :)  There's another competition this year or in the new year in Suffield.  I don't know when it'll be because we (B SQN) are tasked for the month-long BTE and then for SAT II which is also a month.  I heard a rumour about A SQN being on the competition this year as well but I don't know if that's true.

Back