• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training at Fort York (meeting)

Upper deck? Not my scene. Couldn‘t hear the person next to ya w/ the music playing so loud. Cover charge was outrageous too.

Danjanou: Heh, I bet half of these guys aren‘t even old enough to get into those type of joints :)

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys thought of the first training weekend.

What you expected?
Enjoy it?

Since I never got my call (paperwork was backed up) I‘m just wondering what I‘m missin out on!

Let me know!

:cdn:

Kurokaze, true but neither were we at that age eh.

Spin Doc, you fell for that one too?

Seriously for the guys on course at FYA on this thread, the idea of playing the grey man is good.

This is not a leadership course per say, although if the instructors are on the ball, they will be hunting for signs of potential leadership. It‘s never too early to start identifying potential leaders.

Being the grey man though does not mean not showing true signs of leadership, such as taking the initative when the instructors aren‘t around for example cleaning up the shacks) Ok I know you‘re not in shacks but you get the idea).

It‘s more a realization of when to keep your head down and when to shine. It‘s also to avoid standing out as the idiot or poser. Comments such "we did it this way in Cadets (or paintball or whatever) M/Cpl" will almost guarantee you are not going to enjoy the rest of your military experience.

Finally remember not everything about the life you have chosen is taught in the classroom lectures. A lot of it comes during the breaks and down time. You just may not notice it at the time.

Anyone elses course start tommorow?!

Cause mine does! Finally!

Ill be at dennison in the morning getting the rest of my kit .... and then fort york at night.

Any one have any idea what the best way to get there is? im comming from bathurst and steeles area

all i know is what bus stations to go to and what bus to take. For denison it‘s Downsview station in the North then just walk. For Fort York, Bathurst station and that 511 bus that goes to Cne, by the time u reach fort york almost everyone clears out of the street car so it‘s more comfortable to move. Then u see the Big brown building. I wish i had a car.

well i got only sleeping gear tonight and thats it!

next thursday i get issued winter kit and next saturday i get issued a uniform FINALLY...

if all is well by the end of the course ill finally be equipted to take the course...lol I met two guys today Leung and Gonzalas if you guys are on here ill see you tommorow...and for everyone else ill see you guys then

Which one of the 4 regiments do you belong to at Fort York ? Or are you training at Fort York and are from another reg‘t (perhaps an Engineer one)?

im with the 25 service battalion from dennison armoury and training at fort york

ya, a lot of people train at fort york. there‘s a few regiments that come outta there. and the cots suck if your over 6‘ft, unless you like sleeping at attention.

Well the first weekend was "Fun" to say the least!

I had a good time it was nice meeting you vigilant and hopefully i will see a couple more of you guys there in two weeks...

vigilant ill be seeing you this friday again

Trp. Orange, it was great working with you, bud. Leung and Gonzales were a bunch of good guys too.

Hey Arty Aygun, I saw your name on the list for 3 Platoon 1 Section.

We get Weapons issue next week which I‘m looking forward to.

Man, my legs are still hurting from all of that drill.

You don‘t need ID discs unless you‘re going overseas, and that will be quite a while if you are just doing BMQ now.

On the other hand, they might help you pick up chicks in the bar/class, if that‘s your thing.

Good luck on your BMQs. I was there this time last year. The noise of the rad pipes in the basement at Fort York STILL drives me nuts!

On the id disks it depends. On my BMQ coarse they have to be on you at all times.

That‘s lame, unless perhaps you‘re in the regs. There is no need for ID discs in a reserve BMQ course, except that it‘s another piece of kit to be inspected.

Thankfully, I don‘t have them yet, since I still haven‘t discovered what my blood type is (nor do any doctors or clinics seem to be interested in taking my blood and telling me, unless of course I volunteer to give blood, which I haven‘t).

That said, I do have the temporary ID card, and I carry it any time I am in uniform or on army time.

Yeah it is lame, just like that little piece of paper that you are ‘supposed‘ to carry on you that says who your next of kin to be notified are. (sigh)

Wasn‘t that the form that we had to fill out every time we went away for a weekend exercise or down the street to the 7-11? I filled out that form so many times in my 5 years in. I‘m quite convinced that form has no purpose other than to give some poor ADM type a reason for existence.

Neil

The NOK form is not supposed to be carried on your pers. it is held in your pers file at the unit. Should something happen to you the look at your pers file and then contact the appropriate person on it.

Wrong form I think, we have that one as well but this one says THIS IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT on the bottom and is not Protected A and is not a full piece of paper in size. It just had to be filled out and is supposed to on us at all times just like our ID. (sigh) it never happens though. useless... ;)

Back