• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

thinking of joining the regular army

G

geofftheref

I have a few questions, since the recruitment website is quite limited really:

1. Is 34 too old to join as an officer ?
2. What is the medical like ? Iam healthy but shortsighted.
3. How quick is promotion ?
4. Are Communications officers out in the field much ?
5. What is the average length of of an overseas posting ?
6. How often in a career do officers move location ?
7. Can I live on a second lieutenant‘s salary ?
8. Is field training limited due to lack of funds eg do Artillery fire live rounds frequently enough to stay sharp ?
9. How long does the selection process take ?

I finished my tests not long ago, so I can‘t tell you much, but I can tell you about the selection process.
You get an answer about a month after you sent your application form. You receive a letter telling you that you got to be at your Recruiting Center the next week to do an intellectual aptitude test.
Then, it depends if the Center is in a hurry or not...
Personnaly, my other tests (physical, medical and interview) were a month later, but one of my friend had his first test two weeks ago, his physical test was tuesday and his medical and interview were wednesday.

In the medical test, they ask you about any medical problems you ever had. Having to wear glasses shouldn‘t be a problem if you want to become an communiaction engineer.

You should call your recruiting center, they know a lot more than I do!!
Good luck!!

Anyone one know if officer basic training starts in a particular month or if there are courses starting all the time ?

There are IAP/BOTP serials run a few times a year: January, May, September and a summer serial for RMC :eek: candidates. There are also a few other serials a year for re-coursed people or Civilian university :crybaby: people. Talk to your recruiting center, they have all the info on dates etc... :cdn:

1. Is 34 too old to join as an officer ?
A. When I was a recruiting officer I once enrolled a 47-year-old as an officer - he finished first on his Basic Officer Training ... (so, even though 34 is older than the average age for newly enrolling officers, it isn‘t "too" old ... depending on how physically fit and mentally tough you are - you‘ll get sorted out during your training)

2. What is the medical like ? Iam healthy but shortsighted.
A. There are minimum enrolment standards, and then minimum standards for each military occupation/trade - as already mentioned, it is possible to be enrolled if you wear glasses (depending on how strong/weak your perscription is - you‘ll find out definitively during your medical examination)

3. How quick is promotion ?
A. It depends on a number of factors - i.e. you mentioned something about communications - if you mean Army "Signals" (vice public relations thingey) you‘d be a CELE - a reasonably healthy branch. The recruiting centre can explain the normal career progression (i.e. how long from Officer Cadet to Second Lieutenant - which might be accelerated if you‘ve already got your degree, and then to Lieutenant and Captain - these are fairly automatic, after a couple of years if I remember correctly - once you get beyond Captain it depends more on vacancies at Major and above, along with the inevitable politics ... but don‘t be discouraged - somebody I know has been a captain for eighteen years, but they say he‘s an okay guy ... chuckle)

4. Are Communications officers out in the field much ?
A. Depends on where you‘re posted (stationed) - if you‘re with a field unit, you‘ll get dirt under your fingernails - if you get a desk job, watch out for those killer paper cuts.

5. What is the average length of of an overseas posting ?
A. Well, once upon a time when we had bases overseas it was a different story. Today, however, the most common form of foreign vacation is a six month peacekeeping tour. There are also year-long tours, and sometimes there are "postings" to jobs which can last two or three years - however, these are normally highly coveted, and not doled out to junior communications weenies still wet behind their ears ...

6. How often in a career do officers move location ?
A. Depends how long a career you‘re talking about. Once upon a time, postings were usually three years long - sometimes two, or four as well. Today, the Army is a little smaller, so in order to fill a sudden vacancy or urgent requirement some people get posted after only one year, while others can remain for relatively long periods in a job if they‘re willing to stay and nobody else is willing to replace them ... (i.e. Toronto is a good example - not too many people want to be posted there, but sometimes there‘s somebody who‘s from there, or happy to stay a little longer for various reasons)

7. Can I live on a second lieutenant‘s salary ?
A. Depends upon your vices, the cost of living wherever they send you, and how quickly you blow your enrolment bonus (assuming you‘ve got an engineering degree).

8. Is field training limited due to lack of funds eg do Artillery fire live rounds frequently enough to stay sharp ?
A. That‘s a loaded question (pun intended) - the Army‘s budget seems to keep shrinking, and shrinking ... and there‘s no such thing as too much ammunition ...

9. How long does the selection process take ?
A. Others have already given up-to-date replies - depending on how eager you are, it will seem to take forever ... or else it will be the old Army adage "hurry up and wait" ...

Thanks for all your replies. I actually live in Holland, hence it is a little difficult to drop in at the recruitment office ! CELE is not my first choice, although I am well qualified for it. First choice would probably be armour, followed by artillery, then infantry. It would seem quite illogical to take a big pay cut, and move to Canada to join the CF, but I just don‘t want to spend the rest of my working days in an office. There is no challenge here anymore. Holland is so overcrowded, if you love the great outdoors, it can drive you mad sometimes. Anyway the Recruiting office has probably had my application only 1 week, I guess I will have to be patient.

Back