• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking of joining the Reg force

Old Naval Guard

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello I am a former CF member, I am intrested in the possibilty of joining the reg force. I am 44 years old ( I served in the 1980s early 90s in the Milita and Naval Reserve). I am intrested in joining the Navy Reg Force becoming a Steward,or any job as long as its Navy DEU and staying in this time till retirement. Can anyone give adive please, Ive read that their is a shortage of Saliors on this milnet, and its always my dream of being  Regular Navy ;D :salute:. I would need time to get back into shape say 6 months and will take it from there Any advice , tips, hot leads or inside jobs  :eek: please let me know thanks and cheers  :cheers:Old naval Guard

Old Naval Guard said:
Hello I am a former CF member, I am intrested in the possibilty of joining the reg force. I am 44 years old ( I served in the 1980s early 90s in the Milita and Naval Reserve). I am intrested in joining the Navy Reg Force becoming a Steward,or any job as long as its Navy DEU and staying in this time till retirement. Can anyone give adive please, Ive read that their is a shortage of Saliors on this milnet, and its always my dream of being  Regular Navy ;D :salute:. I would need time to get back into shape say 6 months and will take it from there Any advice , tips, hot leads or inside jobs  :eek: please let me know thanks and cheers  :cheers:Old naval Guard

There is lots of information here already regarding mature recruits, getting into shape, Stewards, and with regard to the shortage of personnel in the CF, not just the Navy. My suggestion would be to go to page that displays all the forums and use the advanced search function. Your questions will be answered.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Having said you want to be Navy specific DEU, only my belief here; You may want to look at something other than Steward as that one tends to fill quick. I don't know what your back ground or current 'hobbies' are but trades like Stoker, ET, NE and NW Techs are always short. I have seen several people in your age group join and they tend to bring something unique to the group. Last year following the Consecration of the Queen's Colour, out of all those people involved, when the group was asked to nominate one individual who contributed the most to the group, it was a 'mature' sailor(Ordinary Seaman).
You will find somewhere on here the pre-reqs for fitness, but if that is all that is holding you up, do not be overly concerned-There are programs within the CF. One of the Mods may have the overwhelming desire to butt stroke me after having answered you after a recommendation to search through the other threads but I am in your age group and am tired of trying to keep up with the 20 year olds in foreign ports-I need some company man!!!!

Best thing to do is go into the RC and talk to a Recruiter. They'll be able to tell you what's hot and what's not. Also most centres have at least one sailor on staff to regale you with tales of stormy seas, foreign ports and chowder on Friday!!

Retired FDO said:
Also most centres have at least one sailor on staff to regale you with tales of stormy seas, foreign ports and chowder on Friday!!

This is true for the Mississauga CRFC, lol. What can I say, it worked!

Thanks for the advice, I guess I am going have to hit the gym. Question, would I have to recurit again, or would I get a bypass and go to trades training? I know how to march, wear a unifrom and use a service rifle.Map and compass, the gas hut and the whole nine yards. I dont see the point. I took my GMT and Recuirt with a Milita Infantry Unit :warstory: :camo:Cheers and Thanks in advance Old Naval Guard

Old Naval Guard said:
Thanks for the advice, I guess I am going have to hit the gym. Question, would I have to recurit again, or would I get a bypass and go to trades training? I know how to march, wear a unifrom and use a service rifle.Map and compass, the gas hut and the whole nine yards. I dont see the point. I took my GMT and Recuirt with a Milita Infantry Unit :warstory: :camo:Cheers and Thanks in advance Old Naval Guard

They will review all of your documentation as part of the PLAR (prior learning and recognition) process.  The final result of the PLAR is the only sure answer to this question.  My guess, since you were last a member of the CF in the 90's, is that you will have to complete BMQ because of the time that has elapsed.

I am in a similar position to you with regards to when I had previously served in the Reg Force and do have to take BMQ again although now it looks like it will be BMOQ instead depending on my Air Crew Medical.

OkanaganHeat said:
I am in a similar position to you with regards to when I had previously served in the Reg Force and do have to take BMQ again although now it looks like it will be BMOQ instead depending on my Air Crew Medical.

A PLAR will be done and the Career Shop will determine what you need to do. If you are going back in as a OCdt then you'll have to do BMOQ. Sometimes if you've done ILQ then they will wave the need to do BMOQ.
Good luck

Thanks for the advice ,Pat for the encouragement. I will go a a chat, start working out. Keep you posted cheers Old Naval Guard

Back