• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Threat of Modern Piracy- A Merged Thread

I recall an early 80s Wayne and Shuster comedy special, where one skit was about a celebrity Christmas album, with PW Botha singing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas".

would our gun laws even permit the establishment of such a company?
In theory yes, a Canadian company can get a Firearms business license to have, and manufacture prohibited weapons. I'm not sure about some other criminal code aspects though, as the training, and export of the weapons could be problematic.
But if you had a contract with the GoC, to conduct maritime security missions, you shouldn't have any issues, as Canada does have some private security (IIRC the Nuclear Plant Guards are not .gov personnel) beyond just Brinks etc Armed Guards.

Ok ship nerds let’s have at it. I’m not one…I’ll just enjoy you guys arguing 😉

The better debate is what caused her catastrophic destruction.

Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

HMS Hood was a battlecruiser. As she was classed as such and was intended to fill those duties. Any debate on this is just the whims of ship nerds and lovers of alternative history.

Laid down as a Battlecruiser and then thanks to Jutland, converted to a Fast Battleship when launched. But she teetered on the edge of the two definitions as ship design advanced.

as for blowing up

Laid down as a Battlecruiser and then thanks to Jutland, converted to a Fast Battleship when launched. But she teetered on the edge of the two definitions as ship design advanced.

Although the Royal Navy designated Hood as a battlecruiser, some naval historians such as Antony Preston characterise her as a fast battleship, as she theoretically had the protection of the Queen Elizabeth ships while being significantly faster.[16] On the other hand, the British were well aware of the protection flaws remaining despite her revised design, so she was intended for the duties of a battlecruiser and served in the battlecruiser squadrons throughout her career, other than a few months assigned to Force H in 1940. Moreover, the scale of her protection, though adequate for the Jutland era, was at best marginal against the new generation of 16-inch (406 mm)-gunned capital ships that emerged soon after her completion in 1920, typified by the US Colorado class and the Japanese Nagato class.[17][18]

I think everyone knew the BC concept was dead, but were stuck with BC hulls for the time being. Hence the squadrons. Hood was as mentioned worn out and due for a major refit, which would have pushed her firmly into Fast Battleship territory again. But she never got that chance. Sounds a lot like the current state of the RCN doesn't it?

I think everyone knew the BC concept was dead, but were stuck with BC hulls for the time being. Hence the squadrons. Hood was as mentioned worn out and due for a major refit, which would have pushed her firmly into Fast Battleship territory again. But she never got that chance.

But, Hood was never a Fast BB. She was always classed as a BC. Some folks have played word games after the fact and, as expressed in my quote, have characterized her as a Fast BB, that is not a classification. When you look at true Fast BBs like the Iowa Class they are vastly superior platforms to Hood in all respects. Hood was a WW1 BC that holds a place of high fantasy in many peoples minds. She was poorly designed, weakly equipped, employed improperly at the end; and if I may say so a rather ugly ship, I know sacrilege.

The RN should have employed her carriers and submarine to attack Bismark; and stayed away from a surface engagement at all costs.

Sounds a lot like the current state of the RCN doesn't it?

It sure does. A valiant and dedicated group sailors and Naval Officers who did their duty until the end.

Ok, minus the mutinous crew…
its complicated

When one considers the quality of food, living conditions, the lack of a sense of Canadian identity, suicidal Kamikaze pilots, and pressure from the Commanding Officer, combined with lack of government support, it becomes clear that there was no mutiny onboard UGANDA, and that her ship’s company was far from cowardly. Instead, the vast majority of the ship’s company exercised their democratic right as dictated by the government’s “Volunteers Only” policy. Some time later, Mainguy himself noted this perspective, that with no government commitment, there was no guaranteed commitment from her sailors: “The next signal we got fairly shortly was: ‘Do you volunteer to fight against the Japanese?’ It seemed pretty stupid. [There] were those incentives just to be annoyed and say, ‘Well, if we’re not wanted, of course, we don’t want to fight the Japs if it’s not necessary.’ ”

So. Naval gunnery. Firing from a moving platform on another moving platform.
Or firing at a shore target. The math etc involved must be amazing.

Or is it witchcraft???
Not witchcraft .... just trigonometry

Even Ticonderoga's have an impressive amount of firepower.... too bad they aren't being replaced.

Back