• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

Report that to you internet provider and check out the SQ web site, they may have something on this kind of fraud.

Yrys said:
Wow, don't remember receiving one of those!!!

To whom can I forward it for legal follow up (which cops) ?
The returd adress is hotmail.fr, which I presume is in France....

And anyone want to play with Mr. Ibru  >:D ?

A local radio Quebec station...talked about it and "prenteded" to be interested and contacted the guy wich is a African in Ivory coast. they talked and every thing the radio dud even requested a bigger amount and the fraud guy accepted...at one point the radio dude...started to say to guy he was a fraud, a theif, a jerk..etc...etc...

The guy in Ivory coast,  never reacted, and continued on without ever changing his message and never answered to the provocation.

It was funny yo listen to. This fraud has been on going for years...and if it is still ongoing....probably means that there some people who are beliveing it.

:D

You can contact these folks to report any sort of on line fraud activity:

http://www.recol.ca/

These scams have been around for a long time, but it still doesn't hurt to report it when it comes across your screen.  Knowledge is law enforcements best weapon. 

Yrys said:
Well, I saw people with university degree  in a TV reportage that suck it up
for tens of thousand of dollars...
I don't think they give Masters in Common Sense. :p

My favourites are the poor wife/daughter of the millionaire killed during some coup in Africa.  Although they are supposedly in a refugee camp they still manage to have access to a computer and email.  Unfortunately, there are still people falling for it.

Is it wrong to scam a scammer?

http://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm
http://www.419eater.com/html/hall_of_shame.htm

Quite funny yet sad.

TCBF said:
I get hundreds of these a week.  You would have to be an 87 year old granny coming out of a ten year coma to get suckered by one of these. 

Not necessarily.  I saw a retired teacher in his late 50's get hit repeatedly with the same scam to the tune of almost $100M.  He was too ignorant to believe us (his bank!) when we tried to intervene, instead he went around us and just kept sending money.

Redeye said:
Not necessarily.  I saw a retired teacher in his late 50's get hit repeatedly with the same scam to the tune of almost $100M.  He was too ignorant to believe us (his bank!) when we tried to intervene, instead he went around us and just kept sending money.
Remember what P.T. Barnum said "There's a sucker born every minute"

:)

I found those adress while looking into the matter:

Abuse@Hotmail.com

abuse@yahoo.com

They are supposed to close the account when fraud is reported.
I hope Abumani will lose some fish that way...

A new one out west here is an email from the Canadian Ministry of Finance advising you that you are now elderly for a new rebate based on a reprisal of you tax information. Just click the box and fill out the required information and your rebate will be deposited into your bank account. Only problem is tax information, processing, refunds, etc is under Customs and Revenue not the Ministry of Finnance.

VP

In the last couple of days I've received 4 seperate emails supposedly from my bank (TD Canada Trust) asking for confidential account info ( which they would already have  ???) as part of a security update. Funny how all four emails came from seperate places and I wasn't aware my bank now had branches in Asia?

They did look offical but anyone with photoshop and some of the other softeware out there can create logos etc.

Danjanou said:
In the last couple of days I've received 4 seperate emails supposedly from my bank (TD Canada Trust) asking for confidential account info ( which they would already have  ???) as part of a security update. Funny how all four emails came from seperate places and I wasn't aware my bank now had branches in Asia?

They did look offical but anyone with photoshop and some of the other softeware out there can create logos etc.

Thanks for posting.. My mom got the same and was asking me about it.

Told her to erase it.  If TD really wants to get in touch with her they do
it via a more offical means.

Danjanou said:

I've been receiving the same, and they get deleted right away at the Server.  I won't even download them.  I've also got the same from Banks that I don't even do business with and at least twice a year from EBay saying something about my account there, which I don't have.  Interesting.  I wonder how many of, or which, of the online services for companies I deal with, have sold my email address for a price? :-[

Trinity said:
Thanks for posting.. My mom got the same and was asking me about it.

Told her to erase it.  If TD really wants to get in touch with her they do
it via a more offical means.

They were pretty realistic looking. I'll be printing and sending them all to my branch after the holidays.

BTW that 419 fraud buster site is hilarious. The trophy photos and how they get them from these scammers are really interesting.

But what if it wasn't a scam?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2mKRAjCsid8

;D

TDcanadaTrust said:

EasyWeb Important Messages

Protect yourself from email fraud
December 29 2006

Phishing emails can be deceiving. Fraudsters are increasingly learning how to create persuasive messages designed to fool recipients into divulging personal information. Effectively, the fraudsters hijack brand names of legitimate companies in hopes that the recipient will respond.

Always remember, TD Canada Trust will never send customers emails asking for passwords, account numbers or personal information.

If you receive one of these emails, delete it immediately and do not respond or action it.

For more information on an exclusive, free software download to protect you from phishing visit our Norton Confidence Online page.

Tips and Hints:

* Use the 'Remember my Access Card and Description' feature. This feature is unique to the legitimate EasyWeb login page and cannot be duplicated. Your Access Card number will appear every time you navigate to the legitimate EasyWeb login page provided that you have not recently deleted your cookies.

* Look for the secure transaction symbol on your screen before entering any personal information. This will look like a key or a padlock on the very bottom of your browser. Do not enter personal information without seeing that symbol. As an added step you can also double click on the padlock. A "digital certificate", issued by a trusted Certificate Authority such as Verisign, should appear.

* Look at your browser's Address/Location bar. Verify that the login page that you are visiting is in fact the legitimate EasyWeb login page - https://easyweb.tdcanadatrust.com.

Remember, at TD Canada Trust you always have the protection of our EasyWeb Security Guarantee.

For more information on Phishing and online security in general, please visit our Online Safety & Security centre.

Welcome to the world of phishing.

Bottom line;  banks don't ever contact you and ask you for your information.  Period.  So if you get one like that, report it and dump it. 

A bank being proactive and interested in it's customers should be your first clue that it's a fraud!

Danjanou said:

TD has been warning people about these going around but any bank will tell you that they will NOT contact you via email about such things and certainly not ask you to do anything over the internet. 

Here's a copy of an email I received....nice diversion...get you all worried about a fictional charge and get you to click on the link and enter your information

Dear PayPal Member,

This email confirms that you have paid LWP ELECTRONICS (sales@lwpelectronics.com) $274.99 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL LWPELECTRONICS*".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PayPal Shopping Cart Contents

Item Name:  BRAND NEW NOKIA 7270 CELL PHONE
Quantity:  1

Total:  $274.99 USD

Cart Subtotal:  $254.99 USD
Shipping Charge:  $20.00 USD
Cart Total:  $274.99 USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipping Information

Shipping Info:  Bill Chang
202 N Magnolia Dr.
Saco, ME 04072
United States

Address Status:  Unconfirmed   

If you haven't authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund.
                          Dispute Transaction 

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team
Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.

PayPal Email ID PP924

Back