• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Seal Hunt Mega-Thread

I know for a fact that in China they raised a certain type of cat specifically for food, but it turns out this cat is dangerous for human consumption. There was a news link somewhere on Yahoo!News about a year ago on it.
Britney Spears said:
Reputable cite please, because I call BS.
It's called Ginger Beef   ;)

Britney Spears said:
Everyone read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel. There are practical reasons why certain animals have been domesticated and raised for food over the centuries and not others. Eg. why no one to this day has been able to domesticate gazelles, zebras or elephants.

Excellent book, I'm about half way through it now, highly recommended.

Britney Spears said:
Put two seconds of thought into it and you can see why the idea of using cats as food is completely ludicrous. I know of NO Asian culture that engage in this practice and I think I know a fair bit about them (Asian cultures, not cats).

Well, I did see a video of an asean fella in a restaurant type setting dunking a live cat into a basin of boiling water and then, after 30 seconds or so, peeling it like a banana.  It was years ago though, so I doubt I'd be able to find the clip again.  Eating cats might not be as common in asean countries as eating dogs is, however, it does happen.

Britney Spears said:
Everyone read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel. There are practical reasons why certain animals have been domesticated and raised for food over the centuries and not others... 
Exclusively carnivorous mammals as a whole(apart from bear and whale) are unsuitable for consumption by humans, as their muscle by nature is extremely lean and contains very little fat. "

Good book. In it was an interesting personal anecdote by Mr. Diamond on tasty lion meat. What Mr. Diamond was getting at is that exclusively carnivorous animals are not inherently less edible, but an animal that is worth raising (over a 100, 150lbs I recall) is all too capable of turning the tables. So the assumption is the first guy who tried to domesticate lions either died or was forced to give up and kill his stock when it tried to eat him.

Another problem in raising a major carnivore, aside from the obvious, is that you need even more animals to feed the thing. In terms of energy input, it would be an order of magnitude greater  to raised a 100 lions as opposed to 200  similar sized herbivore.

Exclusively carniverous mammals as a whole(apart from bear and whale) are unsuitable for consumption by humans

Not quite. I was surprised to hear from many different hunters here in Arizona at least that mountain lion is some of the best wild game you'll ever eat. Unexpectedly, it's light, and lion hunters here often sport a bumper sticker that says something like "Mountain lion - the other white meat". My daughter and I actually sampled some at a recent elk foundation function, but it was done up in summer sausage, and not really a representative sample....  it was yummy though  Mountain lions are not rare here, as a matter of fact, tags are available "over the counter"

okay, looking at this thread again, with a dip and a coffee, I think we're all on net, even the Ultra-fox.

We all agree we don't want people to starve.
We all agree we don't want critters to suffer.
We all agree that I'm probably the smartest man alive.

I stand corrected on the large carnivour bit, then. It might have had something to do with how cats in particular taste, and was extrapolated to include all big cats too. That WASN'T actually mentioned in GGS, I didn't mean to insinuate that it was. 

paracowboy said:
okay, looking at this thread again, with a dip and a coffee, I think we're all on net, even the Ultra-fox.

We all agree we don't want people to starve.
We all agree we don't want critters to suffer.
We all agree that I'm probably the smartest man alive.

Paracowboy
While I agree with your the first two points, I have to call you on your last one. People who jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft are not smrt ...smart.

Britney Spears said:
Civets are wild, and are a seperate species distinct from domestic cats.

It's still a cat. Just a funny looking one nobody wants as a pet. It's just a variation within a species, not a different species.

"Paracowboy
While I agree with your the first two points, I have to call you on your last one. People who jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft are not smrt ...smart."

- No problem, all but four of my jumps were out of CANADIAN aircraft, vice perfectly serviceable ones.

Tom

Jumper said:
Paracowboy
While I agree with your the first two points, I have to call you on your last one. People who jump out of perfectly serviceable aircraft are not smrt ...smart.
you show me one, and I'll stay for the landing! :D

atticus said:
It's still a cat. Just a funny looking one nobody wants as a pet.
I'd like a pet civet!

It's still a cat. Just a funny looking one nobody wants as a pet. It's just a variation within a species, not a different species.

They are NOT the same species.

* Order Carnivora
          o Suborder Feliformia ("Cat-like")
                + Family Felidae: cats; 37 species in 18 genera
                + Family Herpestidae: mongooses and allies; 35 species in 17 genera
                + Family Hyaenidae: hyenas and aardwolf; 4 species in 4 genera
                + Family Nandiniidae: African palm civets
                + Family Nimravidae: false sabre-tooths (extinct)
                + Family Viverridae: civets and allies; 35 species in 20 genera

o Suborder Caniformia ("Dog-like")
                + Family Ailuridae: red panda; 1 species in 1 genus.
                + Family Amphicyonidae: beardogs (extinct)
                + Family Canidae: dogs and allies; 35 species in 10 genera
                + Family Mephitidae: skunks; 10 species in 3 genera
                + Family Mustelidae: weasels, ferrets, badgers, and otters; 55 species in 24 genera
                + Family Odobenidae: Walruses
                + Family Otariidae: sea lions, eared seals, fur seals
                + Family Phocidae: true seals
                + Family Procyonidae: raccoons and allies; 19 species in 6 genera
                + Family Ursidae: bears; 8 species in 4 genera

Britney Spears said:
They are NOT the same species.
so I can't have one? I'd pet him and love him and squeeze him. You get me a civet, George, or I will do mean things to you, like stroke all your fur backwards.

If its not a cat then what is it and why is is called a cat?

Getting back to the title of this thread... Yes, the seal hunt does reflect Canada's true colours,  red blood, white ice.  Works on so many levels; seal hunting, hockey...gads, I love this country!

Kat

It does show Canada's true colors. Shows that we have common sense, and aren't brainwashed by some Walt Disney/Berenstein Bears bullshyte... which applies to those who agree with it at least. Those who are against it claim that it's wrong, yet they don't mind biting into a cheeseburger, wearing that schnazzy leather jacket/fur coat, or using those cosmetics/drugs that were tested on animals first. Those who don't agree with it are just victims of stupidity and hypocrisy, period.

So, if clubbing a seal is wrong, how about a rabbit?  Anyone who does BSERE has to, or they don't eat that day.  Considering the next meal is AFTER the 48 hr solo (no food), you tend to put the heebie jeebies aside.

Semper,  as for the leather issue, you do realize that when you get in, your boots will be leather, right?

Back