• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Seal Hunt Mega-Thread

Pieman,
Let me check into this a little first.
Unfortunate. Here I thought that you might like these folks over for tea. ;)

Strike,
wouldn't be surprised. If a woman can sell her pregnant belly on ebay, for advertising space, gawd only know what's next. Seeing as you appear to be a tachel type, would you consider banner towing? A little extra revenue never hurt, eh?

Isn't there a guy who is also on e-bay looking for a min bid to stop him from hunting bears?  Think I heard that on CBC.

They made him take it down, the highest bidder contacted him outside of Ebay to buy it though.

I think the tail rotor might get in the way.  If you're willing to pay for my renewal endorsement on a Cessna I may think about it.

Here I thought that you might like these folks over for tea

I would, but I am sure they would get all in a huff when they saw the mounted dear head in my study. (BTW, before anyone else says it, I shot Bambi's mother. She died slowly. lol)

I also don't need anyone chaining themselves to my front door and dancing around shouting "Save Cuddle's!" on my front lawn. I just sodded it last spring.

mmmmmmmmm CUDDLES    <drool>

I like Seal Sautee and Flipper Flambe.

Huh, no one remembers the thing about supressed weapons and seal hunting eh? Maybe it was one of my haullucinogenic visions then....

a472.gif

That's friggin hillarious Britney.
I thought they didn't use projectiles to kill the seals because it could/would ruin the pelts? what difference does it make if its quiet?

I have been privy to be the chef on seal day, here on the rock they're called "Flippers" and come in such tasty dishes as "Flipper Stew" We grew up shooting them for the meat, which is actually not bad. Onewing, I think you must be eating the actual body of the seal which does taste like liver  :p but the actual Flipper part is meat, just like any other meat. All in your mind I guess  :D

Strike,
I think the tail rotor might get in the way.  If you're willing to pay for my renewal endorsement on a Cessna I may think about it.
Aw, c'mon...little bit 'o peddle, little collective caress...no problems ;D

Pieman,
too bad, I was all set to get the media over to your place. T'would really boost the fundraising effort. Just remember, time is running out.

Rhyno,
damned if I know what parts I have eaten. Same guy who has the vats of oil just kept bringing it over. Fried, stewed, boiled, baked. BLECH. Probably as no-one in his household would touch it. I would think that a person would really have to grow up eating seal, to really like it.

Just remember he'd do your whole family if he ever got the chance.

Just for interest's sake, thought I'd let you know that Mr. Twist is simply a grown up manchild Star Wars geek, complete with glasses and scraggly ass beard to boot. He's one of those granola crunchers who lets his wife boss him around and pick out his shirts every morning. He is occassionly funny though, especially when his column whines about his middle age travails.

Now a question; does an overhand club (ala tennis) or a golf style swing work best?

I find that straight jack booting them in the head provides the most satisfaction while remaining as effective as any over or underhand swing.

On a related note, does anyone know how to get blood out of a white "I hate baby seals/puppies/babies and daylight" t-shirt?

Britney Spears said:
Huh, no one remembers the thing about supressed weapons and seal hunting eh? Maybe it was one of my haullucinogenic visions then....

I remember hearing that some time ago! So the other seals wouldn't startle and take off when the shooting starts... I guess they don't see anything wrong with seal buddy's head exploding! lol...

Seriously, it show's how good the west has it when we can afford to worry about such meaningless things like cute little seals being killed... I bet there are billions and billions of people around the world who would trade us for our problems in a heartbeat... "what? baby seals being killed in Canada? No I haven't noticed... I guess I missed it between the bouts of malaria and hiding from government militia... maybe if I have some money left over after I feed my 6 kids and pay for AIDS medication I'll make a donation..."

Hmm, Even a supressed rifle would be more humane than a bat, I suppose. But what effect would the drop in muzzle velocity have on the round's ballistic performance in seal muscle?

Mike_R23A said:
"what? baby seals being killed in Canada? No I haven't noticed... I guess I missed it between the bouts of malaria and hiding from government militia... maybe if I have some money left over after I feed my 6 kids and pay for AIDS medication I'll make a donation..."

That pretty well says it all, People like that should go and live in some of those countries, and get their priorities sorted out.

But what effect would the drop in muzzle velocity have on the round's ballistic performance in seal muscle?
Wouldn't matter, all shots to the head. As regards the club being inhumane, its the same idea as the bolt shot through a cows head. If the first misses, the animal is out of it anyway and you can take your second whack.

Was bored and stumbled on this thread, but here in NL this always remains a hot topic, so I figured I'd bring it back to life.

Time and time again I've sent messages to these 'animal rights' organizations regarding their stand on the 'seal hunt'. It's been a way of life for many of us Newfoundlanders. The only reason that this is getting so much publicity is because the animal appears to many as 'cute'. You don't hear of the killing of rats in the big cities, do you?

Sticky traps just catch the rat and hold it there. Sometimes it starves before it is discovered and killed. Many are poisoned.

There are only a few hundred thousand killed each year. How does this compare to the approx 10million cows that McDonald's butchers every year? That's just one company.

I'm not even going to get into chickens.

My point being? I think it's based on the 'cuteness factor'. Seriously, look at all of the animals they 'protect'. Most, if not all, for the majority of the organizations are what many call 'cute'.

I'd also like to know what are the salaries of the top suits running these organizations.

Basically, leave the sealhunt alone, we will continue to do it, it helps our province economically, and personally, I love the taste of seal meat. The pelts also make nifty coats :)

I may be wrong but I see the seal hunt being largely similar to the deer culls that happen - regrettable but necessary. The clubbing thing may not matter - as someone said, after the first blow, it MAY be unlikely that the seal feels the following blows. The only thing that bugs me about the seal hunt is the whole "hooking" affair - if the thing isn't isn't dead and still feeling, stabbing a hook into it and dragging it around while it's still alive is on the ripe side of cruel. If it has to be killed, ok - hell, we do it with other animals too, but at least make sure the thing is dead. Same goes for pigs - make sure the things are dead before you string them up and send them through the steam. There's no reason to be cruel about it.

Glorified Ape said:
I may be wrong but I see the seal hunt being largely similar to the deer culls that happen - regrettable but necessary. The clubbing thing may not matter - as someone said, after the first blow, it MAY be unlikely that the seal feels the following blows. The only thing that bugs me about the seal hunt is the whole "hooking" affair - if the thing isn't isn't dead and still feeling, stabbing a hook into it and dragging it around while it's still alive is on the ripe side of cruel. If it has to be killed, ok - heck, we do it with other animals too, but at least make sure the thing is dead. Same goes for pigs - make sure the things are dead before you string them up and send them through the steam. There's no reason to be cruel about it.

Right on. I'm against being barbaric too, no need of that whatsoever. As to the method of killing... doesn't bother me, as long as it kills em... as long as it isn't barbaric. I know from experience, clubbing is safer and less costly than using a gun, and well... just as effective, if not more.

Glorified Ape said:
but at least make sure the thing is dead. Same goes for pigs - make sure the things are dead before you string them up and send them through the steam. There's no reason to be cruel about it.

Can't. They have to be alive and have a pulse when they're hung. Otherwise they won't bleed out when you cut the throat. Even worse with turkeys, they go through a brine bath and recieve a jolt of electricity to speed up the heart and make 'em bleed out faster.

Back