• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suppose a girl wanted to go to one of these Mess Parties...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMolsonIndy

Inactive
Reaction score
...where would she start looking, and would she be encouraged to bring girlfriends?

Happy Holidays,

Lindsay

If you're talking about a mess dinner, it's usually a closed door affair without spouses or girlfriends/boyfriends. There are other mess functions that allow a date to accompany you, but the mess has rules about who can come. All guests must be accompanied by a mess member, you can't just show up. A member is responsible for his/her guest's behaviour and if deemed inappropriate, disciplinary action can follow. So if you're looking for a mess member to take you out of the blue, you better get to know them first before you could expect to go with them.

Good luck and play nice.  ;)

Pretty much, if it's in the mess, you must be accompanied by a member. It's not an open venue. We used to have TGIF in the mess in Moose Jaw on Fri nights, they were a little more lenient there, we would allow spouses in whose husbands were in Portage on course. TGIF is a very informal get together at the mess, but it's still in the mess so guests must be accompanied.

Just one of those little quirks.

I should add, there are exceptions to the rule. The annual flight suit party here in Shearwater is one of them, just about anybody can come, but for the most part, it's pretty rare to have something like that. Every Halloween, St Patrick's day, Christmas party, etc that I've been to have been mess members and their spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends only. No unaccompanied guests.

Yepper, though, if you're looking to meet guys, just make friends with some of the female mess members, they take you to the mess with them and you're accompanied and free to meet whomever you want to meet.

Have fun!

mmi,if ya really want to go to a mess find the nearist reg infantry mess,you'll have no trouble gettin in.there will be about 20 guy's volunterin to sign you and your girlfriends in.they will buy ya free drinks and tell ya all kinds of war stories for the night.seriously you'll probally have a good time and laugh your ass off.you will meet some charactors,just be carefull,have fun,don't break to many hearts.most guys there are usually pretty down to earth,or a little crazy,probally not what your used to.haha ;)

[quote author=bubba]
mmi,if ya really want to go to a mess find the nearist reg infantry mess,you'll have no trouble gettin in.there will be about 20 guy's volunterin to sign you and your girlfriends in.
-.most guys there are usually pretty down to earth,or a little crazy,probally not what your used to.haha ;)
[/quote]

How true.
MissMolsonIndy if you are a girl of any virtue, making a habit of just showing up uninvited at a junior ranks mess is a quick way of gaining a poor reputation.

X Royal said:
How true.
MissMolsonIndy if you are a girl of any virtue, making a habit of just showing up uninvited at a junior ranks mess is a quick way of gaining a poor reputation.

Also avoid a fellow named Carl Gustav...

MissMolsonIndy said:
I guess it's time I start making some new friends then...eh?
That, or go down to the CFRC and join.

My Regiment has Mess Parties fairly often, and on several occassions neighbors from the immediate area showed up for cheap beer, they were welcomed in with open arms. I think it depends on the Unit, as mine seems extremely lenient on the issue.

[Private Message dc445]:
join the fucking army first if you want to be a part of such events...

First and foremost, I am absolutely amazed how ballsy of a statement you managed to put forth, but it just wasn't appropriate for the forum, was it? In that respect, what makes it appropriate for a Private Message?

Check the hostility at the door; I have no interest in it.

At this point, you've only cut your own two feet from below you.

[Private Message qor556]:
So I take it you want to meet some army guys or something eh? Well just showing your eagerness to be situated in a room packed full of mostly men (did i mention somewhat drunk), will make you out to appear as a piece of meat (unless u want that    ). Any guy that sees a civi non-male in one of the messes will assume you are out to meet some guys and will treat you exactly like that. If you do want to party and fully enjoy it, the best and only way, in my opinion, is to join the army or regiment of your choice and actually gain the respect to party with the best.   Just to throw it out there, i do not mean it offensively

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but by undercutting my intentions, and stating the grounds upon which you assume I am walking, you are in fact putting me forth as a piece of meat. I won't deny that I have an underlying attraction to army guys, but unknowingly, you are making unfair assumptions as to how I should approach meeting men. My group of friends consists of mainly men, and in all honesty, seventy-five percent of the time, I would much prefer to grab drinks and shoot the shit with the boys then spend time with my female counterparts. Had you known that from the beginning, would your response have changed at all?

I may be young, but I'm fairly well established in the dating scene, and I am aware that certain men, particularly under the influence of alcohol, have a little more trouble making judgement calls with the proper head. As per your concerns about throwing myself into a feeding zone...the way I figure, most social gatherings that revolve around drinking present the risks of meeting someone who is out for their own, and will as a result treat you as a means to personal fulfillment: there will always be the one sketchcase who is out to use and abuse, regardless of where you go. I recognize this, however it is my belief that one is usually put in the scenario where he/she has to confirm or write off how others perceive him/her. As a female, I'm sure you've put yourself into a situation, or have been put into a situation (party, club, bar, Mess Party...) where you've been looked upon as no more than a slab of red meat...through my eyes, it's inevitable...and I'm sure, like me, you've written off those opinions, knowing they were untrue.

Woman to woman, I appreciate your kind intentions, but I see nothing wrong with grabbing a few drinks, and shooting the shit with a few military personnel, and if I choose to further that, that's my perogative.

How true.

Who are you to judge? In that same line of reasoning...I could condemn you for ever setting foot in a stripclub, or a nightclub, which generally generates the same "meat market" atmosphere, as well as a poor reputation. Please note that I first asked how invitations to Mess Parties work, and made no indication that I planned on showing up without prior notice.

To each their own.

Posting the contents of Pm's is not great "netiquette" regardless of their contents(save the "they started it" argument), if they were that offensive you should contact staff about their contents.

I could perhaps see the sense in posting the first one, as it was moderately offensive and certainly not on.
The second however was constructive and helpful if anything and the sender may not like you posting it.

You're right. I apologize. If she feels awkward about having her private message on a public forum, then I will remove it.

My intentions were not to pinpoint a "he started it, she started it," but instead to show that some resort to unnecessary measures to state their case. Most have conveyed their opinions in a calm and collected manner, and I have nothing but respect for that. I just wanted to make him aware that by acting out, he has cut down all purpose and meaning to his argument. Perhaps I should have done it in a private message?

To somewaht get this thread back on the track i can only assume you meant it to be........

Diffrent messes apply the same policy in different ways.  I'm not sure what base you are close to but when i was in Edmonton, pretty much anybody could get in to the jr mess !  They do however all include in their rules that a mess member must sign in / accompany guests and are responsible for their behaviour.  Here in Winnipeg, you cannot even get onto the base without a member signing you in, much less the mess. Millitia units often operate diferently.

Whatever your reasons for wanting to go there are is none of my buisness and of no great concern to me and should be the same for everyone else, period.

I would have responded by PM and if he(she?) continued on in a rude manner like the first PM I would either block them or if it was warranted contacted a staff. In this case it seems closer to dribble, not verbal assault hence a calm response and/or blocking them would be better....since I'm staff I would have contacted myself I assume. ???

Anyway, this topic in general could very easily slip into the realm of matchmaker in place of innocent (or not so  8) ) query.
So take it to PMs folks and/or deal with the initial question in a calm manner.

Cheerio

PS-Aesop posted while I was typing, and set the right example.

May I ask, what IS a mess party? An after-work shindig type thing?
AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back