• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Storage of household goods?

Prariedawg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,hopefully someone can help me with this.Im currently awaiting an Avotp transfer and have a question about storage of my stuff.I am posted to Shilo and live on the economy in Brandon,and have an apartment full of furniture and whatnot.The crse im expecting to get is a year long and takes place in two different provinces and at the end I have no idea where I will be posted(737,med-tech).My question is will the military store my stuff,or cover the cost so I can resume my life when all this is settled down a little and im finished my crse and posted somewhere?Or should I plan for a yard sale before I depart on crse and suck up the loss?Any help anyone has would be appreciated,Thanx.

Better contact your OR on this one. Cheers.

So, if I re-enroll in Winnipeg, I get posted to Ontario. I sell my house in Winnipeg but opt not to buy a permanent residence at my new base until all my initial and refresher training is done.

How long can my junk be stored at public expense and where? I read CFAO 209-28, which is probably obsolete or rescinded. The closest I could find to an answer which I interpret to say that my collective worldly priceless possessions may be stored in Winnipeg until I can receive them is this:

ENROLMENT -- MEMBER WITH DEPENDANTS OR MEMBER WITHOUT DEPENDANTS

22.    Entitlement on enrolment is as follows:

a.  For a member with dependants, entitlement to move DF&E
          commences from the member's residence provided that residence is
          located within the geographical area of responsibility of the
          recruiting unit at which the enrolment occurred and the move is
          only to commence upon the lifting of the restriction by the CO of
          the gaining unit, in order to ensure that the DF&E arrives at
          the new place of duty to coincide with the availability of the
          secured accommodation.

b.  For a member without dependants, storage of F&E may be
          authorized at public expense, at the place where they are
          located, provided that location is within the geographical area
          of responsibility of the recruiting unit at which enrolment
          occurred.

Hey that sounds like my job?
Best thing to do is call base traffic in Winnipeg,  loc 5026 and they will give you first hand information on what needs to be done.
Royal Lepage  (irp) will be giving you a spiel on your benefits.

Basically it works like this.
You go to IRP they fill out a 484 you come and see traffic they set up a contract with a local company to place your furniture in LTS. (Long Term Storage)
You do your refresher training and get posted to wherever get a cushy pad . That's when you go to see IRP and Traffic to get your stuff taken out of storage and delivered to your residence.

The length of time  your entitled to depends on your benefits, trade, training time etc etc. We have had some in storage for up to a year *looks at his LTS register* yep up to a year (or more).
And you have a maximum number of free days AFTER your training before we start dinging you for storage costs out of pocket.

Again it all depends on what IRP tells you. 

they just may tell you to F*** your hat  :blotto:

mover1 said:
they just may tell you to F*** your hat  :blotto:

lol..wouldn't be the first time....this week...thanks for the info, mover1..appreciate it...nothing concrete for me yet. I have been advised my file is moving through the various departments, unhindered and was in Toronto this week for an Air Factor. I passed all the medical stuff, so it shouldn't be an issue. I've also been given 'tentative' course dates by the CM and a posting intent. No messages, of course. Just planning information.

If things go as anticipated (they rarely do) I'll be picking up kit next month and on my first course in September.

NP let me know where you end up. Maybe we can go hat shopping together.

Interesting question actually.

Im single, no dependents, no house, appartment.  With a fair amount of furniture.
From what I understand, the typical training cycle for new Officers in the Cbt Arms right now is about 2-3 years, all depending (Im pretty sure Ill be SLT exempt, so maybe slightly shorter).

In any event, say I finish Ph IV (DP 1.2) and get finally posted to my unit...  And I elect to stay in the shacks...  how much free time am I getting in storage...  can I access/sell things frmo that storage at any time?  Also, any ideas what such a cost to the member would be if I say said to keep it in storage for several months?

In any event, say I finish Ph IV (DP 1.2) and get finally posted to my unit...  And I elect to stay in the shacks...   how much free time am I getting in storage... Ask IRP or your OR they have they know all about the entitlements  

can I access/sell things frmo that storage at any time?  NO

Also, any ideas what such a cost to the member would be if I say said to keep it in storage for several months? Depends on weight and the Lent of time in storage. We get charged the hundred pounds so it's variable.

Meridian said:
Interesting question actually.
Im single, no dependents, no house, appartment.  With a fair amount of furniture.
From what I understand, the typical training cycle for new Officers in the Cbt Arms right now is about 2-3 years, all depending (Im pretty sure Ill be SLT exempt, so maybe slightly shorter).

In any event, say I finish Ph IV (DP 1.2) and get finally posted to my unit...  And I elect to stay in the shacks...   how much free time am I getting in storage...  can I access/sell things frmo that storage at any time?   Also, any ideas what such a cost to the member would be if I say said to keep it in storage for several months?

Careful with this stuff.  I am literally undergoing my move as I type.  Be careful what you put into storage, and how you pack your stuff.  I had to make several phone calls and encourage some recalcitrant movers to record the serial numbers and models of my most valuable stuff.  Eg.  What they record on the moving sheet: "guitar case."  What's in the guitar case: 72' Les Paul in mint condition signed by Jimmy Page.  What redress you have when your stuff comes back to you and you get a guitar case with nothing in it?  None.  So, I made sure everything was recorded and signed for.  Also, I made them check the things I did pack, and sign off on them.  What happens in most cases is they put your box in their box, thus transferring liability to the company and not you.  All parties are satisfied.  Based on my experiences today, if you can avoid having things putting into storage, you might want to think about it carefully.  I am already planning on getting rid of a lot of things which I simply don't need.  Good luck.

shorinsakka said:
Careful with this stuff.  I am literally undergoing my move as I type.  Be careful what you put into storage, and how you pack your stuff.  I had to make several phone calls and encourage some recalcitrant movers to record the serial numbers and models of my most valuable stuff.  Eg.  What they record on the moving sheet: "guitar case."  What's in the guitar case: 72' Les Paul in mint condition signed by Jimmy Page.  What redress you have when your stuff comes back to you and you get a guitar case with nothing in it?  None.  So, I made sure everything was recorded and signed for.  Also, I made them check the things I did pack, and sign off on them.  What happens in most cases is they put your box in their box, thus transferring liability to the company and not you.  All parties are satisfied.  Based on my experiences today, if you can avoid having things putting into storage, you might want to think about it carefully.  I am already planning on getting rid of a lot of things which I simply don't need.  Good luck.

Obviously someone never read their pre-move package given to them by base traffic and neglected to read the one given to them from the moving company AND DIDN'T Listen to IRP BTFC or the contractor when they gave their spiels to them.

High Value Items (HVI)
Members are to identify any item that's a High Value Item at the time of the pre move survey and the pack. In the forms and sheets that the moving company gave you there would have been an inventory list for you to identify these items. Serial numbers are recorded and we encourage everyone to TAKE PICTURES of their items THE DAY OF THE PACK. Items over 5000 dollars must be appraised by a third party and an appraisal certificate must be produced to prove value.
Items of an intrinsic value. (sentimental stuff) Will only be covered on a replacement cost. Your Dads old beat up guitar is just an old beat up guitar worth .... to buy one of the same condition.

Packed By Owner (PBO)
Boxes packed by owner are not covered by insurance. If you pack a rubbermaid container yourself the items inside are not covered. If the movers pack them they are. 
Insurance companies work for themselves not the moving companies in your case of a packed box being put into another box may cause some liability issues when you submit a claim for a damaged good that YOU originally packed incorrectly.

Contrary to popular belief, Just because you move once or twice it does not make you an expert on moving. The contract changes and is constantly evolving.
IF you have any questions please feel free to contact your local traffic office or PM me. I will set you straight.

3/4 of the horror stories out there are caused mainly by members being Barrack Room Lawyers and giving contractors a hard time. Be nice and courteous. You'll have and easier move.

mover1 said:
Obviously someone never read their pre-move package given to them by base traffic and neglected to read the one given to them from the moving company AND DIDN'T Listen to IRP BTFC or the contractor when they gave their spiels to them.

High Value Items (HVI)
Members are to identify any item that's a High Value Item at the time of the pre move survey and the pack. In the forms and sheets that the moving company gave you there would have been an inventory list for you to identify these items. Serial numbers are recorded and we encourage everyone to TAKE PICTURES of their items THE DAY OF THE PACK. Items over 5000 dollars must be appraised by a third party and an appraisal certificate must be produced to prove value.
Items of an intrinsic value. (sentimental stuff) Will only be covered on a replacement cost. Your Dads old beat up guitar is just an old beat up guitar worth .... to buy one of the same condition.

Packed By Owner (PBO)
Boxes packed by owner are not covered by insurance. If you pack a rubbermaid container yourself the items inside are not covered. If the movers pack them they are. 
Insurance companies work for themselves not the moving companies in your case of a packed box being put into another box may cause some liability issues when you submit a claim for a damaged good that YOU originally packed incorrectly.

Contrary to popular belief, Just because you move once or twice it does not make you an expert on moving. The contract changes and is constantly evolving.
IF you have any questions please feel free to contact your local traffic office or PM me. I will set you straight.

3/4 of the horror stories out there are caused mainly by members being Barrack Room Lawyers and giving contractors a hard time. Be nice and courteous. You'll have and easier move.

Hmmm.... I think you skimmed my post.... otherwise you would have realized that pretty much everything you wrote was done.  Obviously I should have stated that a number of the things I did were as a result of reading the moving materials.

Being nice and courteous is nice, but it doesn't really cover the reality of the situation.  These movers are on a schedule and want to complete things as quickly as possible.  Ergo, they are not interested in writing serial numbers down and checking numbers.  As I mentioned, I had the movers check the things I packed which moves the liability to the company.  If they were not satisfied with the way it is packed, I immediately unpacked it and had them do it.  Otherwise, as confirmed by the packing agent, they placed my box in one of theirs and signed off on it.  So, none of the stuff was PBO.  Also, one of the guys tried to convince exactly what I mentioned had to be checked, that a guitar case written down as a guitar case is only a guitar case and doesn't include the guitar.
Previously in the meeting with the packing agent, I had pointed out all the items which were duly recorded, but when the movers arrived they were not interested in checking those items.  I politely and courteously (and firmly) told them to wait and contacted the packing agent, who then instructed the movers to record all the items properly.  Your point about reading the instructions is a good one, but it certainly wouldn't have made a first time mover confident they knew what was going on.

And for the record, I have not moved once or twice, I have moved over 15 times, both on my own and using government contracted packers all over the world.  And anything that hasn't happened to me, has happened to my father, who was standing in the room with me (a retired 39 year veteran of the CF).  Asking someone to perform the agreed task in the agreed manner is not giving the contractor a hard time.

shorinsakka said:
Being nice and courteous is nice, but it doesn't really cover the reality of the situation. 

i moved from storage too and i didnt have a single problem with the movers, serial numbers, recording of items or whatever....

These movers are on a schedule and want to complete things as quickly as possible.  Ergo, they are not interested in writing serial numbers down and checking numbers.

Then it is up to YOU to tell them to do it.  If they refuse, you tell them to leave and call the TFC section so a rep can deal with it.  I have had to do this before, it works.

And anything that hasn't happened to me, has happened to my father, who was standing in the room with me (a retired 39 year veteran of the CF).  Asking someone to perform the agreed task in the agreed manner is not giving the contractor a hard time.

My father was in the military 22 years and we moved alot as a kid as well.  That being said, His experience was not mine and neither was your fathers experience yours.  You will find that being an army brat doesnt constitue real experience

No hard feelings Dude.

Its just coming to the end of of posting season and I can tell you that over 85% of the problems are caused by members themselves.  Very frustrated with people telling me or my staff how to do our jobs.  We have three types we watch for and you can tell who they are as soon as they come in for their briefing. Usually the first thing out of their mouths is  "You don't have to tell me I moved before"
  "Or HI I'm Maj so-and-so my move in unique" (not its not its just like everyone Else's)
The third type is all about me not being able to parlez bien and signals being crossed. No real fault on anybody but  misunderstandings happen.

As well another note for storage. If it goes in for any longer than 120 days. That's SIT (Storage in Transit) not LTS (Long Term Storage) you have 120 days free on the crown anything after that is your dollar. This all has to be approved by IRP. A few people have taken leave between postings and had their stuff taken off the truck and put in SIT. They were not authorised so they had to pay the storage charge.

Hi all, just a quick question.

I'll be moving to Winnipeg for just over a year and because I'm on a restricted posting (I get a move, but no HHT), does anyone know if/how I can request to keep my F and E in storage for that time?  The Royal Lepage people told me that I have 6 months from my COS date to get my stuff moved out of storage, but I was really hoping just to stay in quarters for my course and move everything when I got posted out to wherever. 

Thanks!

Ask IRP, your OR & Traffic section as it is all dependant on your Posting Instr.

Actually you want to call IRP but only AFTER you have your message in your hand. IRP gives you your entitlements all we do is set up the contracts.

Back