• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Qualification Course (Questions & Answers)

Maybe it was my circumstances, but my transition from BMQ to DP1 (ie. SQ) was some of the least fun I had in the army.

Thats one way of saying it.

Another way would be to say that SQs regularly lose 30% of the candidates to injuries and VRs in the first 3 weeks. Look at the guy to your left, the guy to your right, then look at yourself. One of you is going home.

Have fun! ;D

I was told a parade night before stand down I'd be on SQ/Dp1 This summer. My problem is that I only know the dates, not what to bring ect, I mean I know no winter crap. Also Will I be contacted on how I'm getting there and what not? I was just told I was going and nothing else, where to go how to get there, etc Never done a summer course, I know it's kinda off topic just wondering how did it workout for you guys when you were put on a Summer SQ.

Crisco said:
I was told a parade night before stand down I'd be on SQ/Dp1 This summer. My problem is that I only know the dates, not what to bring ect, I mean I know no winter crap. Also Will I be contacted on how I'm getting there and what not? I was just told I was going and nothing else, where to go how to get there, etc Never done a summer course, I know it's kinda off topic just wondering how did it workout for you guys when you were put on a Summer SQ.

Doesn't your unit still have a clerk or two in the summer? See if you can call and find out.

honestly..as a tech trade, i do not see an SQ course as a requirement to do my job ...

regardless, 4 weeks TD pay to go play soldier..all i can sat yes sir.

Wow. 

My buddy wears the same badge as you and he is headed to the sandbox for 9 months. I know for a fact he does not share your opinion.

popnfresh said:
Doesn't your unit still have a clerk or two in the summer? See if you can call and find out.

They should. Actually, most still have admin nights where you might be able to ask your questions or leave it with someone who can find the answer for you.

Sorry if this question's already been asked, but are there any major differences (besides duration) between reserve and reg force SQ?

GrassGreenPte. said:
Sorry if this question's already been asked, but are there any major differences (besides duration) between reserve and reg force SQ?

Reg F is more training days, and spends more time on some things.  Reservists might do it all at once (summer), or spread out over evenings and weekends during the fall/winter/spring), but with the additional stress of school and job to worry about.  Each course situation is different and has different impacts of different people.

Actually no, there is isn't. The SQ was reduced to a 4 week course about a year and half ago and now the reg/reserve SQ is the same. Its a joke IMO and I have seen the quality of the SQ graduates go down. Thank god infantry candidates don't do it anymore.

I agree, 4 weeks is way too short a time to do that course....and so does everyone, right up to LFCA commander (who visited our course in Meaford).  From what I understood the army is trying to re-instate the 7 week SQ, as EVERYONE, from Pte up to BGen can see that the course is FAR too short. 

JAWS228 said:
I agree, 4 weeks is way too short a time to do that course....and so does everyone, right up to LFCA commander (who visited our course in Meaford).  From what I understood the army is trying to re-instate the 7 week SQ, as EVERYONE, from Pte up to BGen can see that the course is FAR too short. 

When I heard the story's from people who did the four week course it sounded like a cake walk. No inspections, week or two in class with a week on the range and week in the field. Sounded like such a joke. I did the seven week course and it was a good go. Inspections were quite intense(I recall having a lock whipped past my face), the field was a bag drive and it was just go go go all the time. Three weeks of classroom. Week on the range. Two weeks in the field followed by the final week of getting ready to head out again. Hopefully they do decide to bring back the seven week.

It depends on which base you get sent to do your course.  I went to Meaford and it was go go go, move with a sense of urgency all the time for the whole duration of our course, the inspections were also intense and our staff were always finding ways to make us work our asses off.  On the other hand, Ive heard that the SQ courses being done elsewhere are rediculously easy, like PRETC with machine guns to quote a friend of mine.  They were shocked when I told them what Meaford was like, and I was equally shocked when they said how lax Gagetown and Shilo were...Im also all for bringing back the 7 week course, my impression when I went through 2 months back was that that was definitely a work in progress...hopefully it will change soon.

i just finished my res SQ at meaford and it was aparently ran as tough as some reg force. Although regs do have it harder, as they do 10 week bmq 14 week dp1 (respect to those men). The difference between the two is like academic and applied differences in highschool.. reserve being applied,they show you the concept of how everythings done and regforce being academic which they show you how its down and the mechanics of it, more indepth. They both produce good soldiers and its what you take out of the training not how long it is. You could have some regforce slackers who forgot even how to do drill because so much is crammed during their training.. and vice versa.

CDN Aviator said:
I have no idea what you just said....... ???

You must be confused easily. In highschool how they have like levels of education, academic and applied.. applied touches the surfaces of things and academic goes more in theory, thats how I would compare reg force and reserve force training.. but it's like in reg force alot more is being thrown at you so you forget the little things reserve force basically shows you the essentials of soldiering, reg shows you that and then some, like more indepth.. but like I said its not always the training, its the soldier.. is that abit more clear? lol

Crisco said:
You must be confused easily. In highschool how they have like levels of education, academic and applied.. applied touches the surfaces of things and academic goes more in theory, thats how I would compare reg force and reserve force training.. but it's like in reg force alot more is being thrown at you so you forget the little things reserve force basically shows you the essentials of soldiering, reg shows you that and then some, like more indepth.. but like I said its not always the training, its the soldier.. is that abit more clear? lol

I think he is pointing out your statement
Crisco said:
.. thats all I gotta say about that.

As your not an expert in the area, I recommend that you not post statements like that.

Edited to add

you may want to use the spell check.

NL_engineer said:
I think he is pointing out your statement

As your not an expert in the area, I recommend that you not post statements like that.

Who said I was an expert, I'm saying what I do know, my buds week 10 of reg dp1 he told me and can't remember anything from like bmq. Thats why I said it's not necessarily the training it's the soldier. Motivation to remember and take in all the training and what not.. some can handle reg force some can't alot mores thrown at you. But when did I say I was an expert, this is pretty much basic knowledge I'm not talking about whats being taught on the course I'm just talking about how ones more extensive than the other .. if in that you see someone speaking of things he shouldn't know about your then thats sad..

Edit.. Sorry not everyone has perfect grammar and has a degree and what not.. the efforts there that's all that matters, second spell check never picked it up or anything because I do use it.

I was just pointing out that your post was all over the place and written in such a way that i was not sure what you were trying to say. Thats all.

Yea your right but the other guys statement was not necessary, because I'm not trying to act like a pro on the subject, I'm just pointing out diferences an average person should know. I don't see why one should be subject to criticism when all they're trying to do is help.

the efforts there that's all that matters
??? Ummmm..... ok.....

I'm saying what I do know, my buds week 10 of reg dp1 he told me and can't remember anything from like bmq

Someone told me what it's like to fly a helicopter once, I don't think that qualifies me to post comparisons of driving my own car vs flying a helicopter, on the internet. I think that is the gist of what people are trying to tell you.

Army.ca Staff

I'm now amazed that i remember the rank structure and how to wear my uniform. I went through a RegF course after all.....

I kid because i care..... ;D

Back