• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signal Trucks and equipment.

1911CoLt45

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day

I have been looking around the DND website and some other sites that profile the CF vehicle's.  The only ones that are listed looks like the combat arms IE LAV, Leopards etc and a few general purpose  ex. G wagon.  Does any one here know which specific types of vehicle's the signals use in land operations?  Ex. 3 ton truck.  Since I do not know which are used and am looking on entering the trade a heads up on what is what in a  typical squadron layout would be appreciated.

:cdn:

Well the local Reserve Comms Sqn has a nunber of:

LSVW - Cable Layers
MILCOTS SILVERADO - Cable Layers
LSVW - CP
MLVW - Cargo (I think)
EDITED TO ADD
Also some CIVY PATTERN VEHICLES

10-4

The LSVW how is that for a mode of transportation?  Reliable?  I would take it that some of the deployed guys are riding around in Lav variants for mobile signal platforms?  Is  the G wagon used at all to anyones knowledge?  The possible job is with 700 Comm sqn Borden, any past experiences with this sqn?

1911CoLt45 said:
10-4

The LSVW how is that for a mode of transportation?  Reliable?  I would take it that some of the deployed guys are riding around in Lav variants for mobile signal platforms?  Is  the G wagon used at all to anyones knowledge?  The possible job is with 700 Comm sqn Borden, any past experiences with this sqn?

The LSVW is powered by a 2.5-liter turbocharged diesel engine, developing 115 hp. Very underpowerd... if the turbo goes the vehicle crawls.

NFLD Sapper said:
The LSVW is powered by a 2.5-liter turbocharged diesel engine, developing 115 hp. Very underpowerd... if the turbo goes the vehicle crawls.

You have just become the master of understatement.

Good to know.  Ill have the field recovery guys on speed dial.
Thanks

Good luck having National Recovery on Speed Dial. Some days your're much better of using a rotary telephone. lol

And 700 Comm Sqn shouldn't have any integral assets for recovery, they might have a Veh Tech. But generally they are with the Svc Bns. So always bring some form of entertainment with you on a Sqn road move. Even when the Reg force moves, recovery and repair can be quite the waiting game. And we have all of our assets integral to us.

New guy question: Do RRRs go through strange control or unit transport?

I've done one before, but for the life of me I can't remember who I called.  I think it might have been the coy CP, and they pushed it.  Is it one of those things that depends on the unit/base?

I think it depends.... here at CFS St. John's all recoveries go though Station TN. Then again we got limited recovery resources.

Most of the recoveries are done by civilian contract with HLVW WRECKER backup.

NFLD Sapper said:
I think it depends.... here at CFS St. John's all recoveries go though Station TN. Then again we got limited recovery resources.

Most of the recoveries are done by civilian contract with HLVW WRECKER backup.

Actually, it's supposed to be the other way around, base maintenance does the recoveries using the service batallions HLVW Wrecker, the towing company is the backup. That being said, the majority of recoveries are done for reserve vehicles, which translates into the majority of recoveries being done during the evenings and weekends when base maintenance isn't working.

As far as signals goes, there are command and control as well as miscellaneous signal role vehicles mounted on every sort of chassis the army uses.

The most "common" signals vehicle is the under-powered over-weight LSVW, typically with two common shelters. Inside these shelters, there are a dizzying array of possible installations.

Given that "signals" is an extremely broad category, pretty much all sorts of vehicles used by the army are used by various signals units, though not all signals units use all vehicles.

1911CoLt45 said:
Good day

I have been looking around the DND website and some other sites that profile the CF vehicle's.  The only ones that are listed looks like the combat arms IE LAV, Leopards etc and a few general purpose  ex. G wagon.  Does any one here know which specific types of vehicle's the signals use in land operations?  Ex. 3 ton truck.  Since I do not know which are used and am looking on entering the trade a heads up on what is what in a  typical squadron layout would be appreciated.

:cdn:

The LSVW is used in Canada, but not in Afghanistan(aside from being used in a static loc ie a FOB). Overseas outside the wire Sigs will work out of a Bison CP/RRB or a LAV III Command varient. Theres also the Queen Mary(TLAV/M113) although I haven't actually seen it employed overseas but I heard it was used an I got the driver course as a just in case we need to use it on roto.

In the Reserves AFAIK you won't be seeing the Bison, LAV, etc unless you get attached to a Reg Force unit for a tour, etc

Ahhhh, I do miss the days of recovering cable from the massive platform that was the Iltis ;D

-Skeletor- said:
In the Reserves AFAIK you won't be seeing the Bison, LAV, etc unless you get attached to a Reg Force unit for a tour, etc

It's rare, but I've dealt with them on purely-reservist exes. Did comms support for an engineer unit's field ex, and I spent a fun night installing 522's and getting them to talk to the NAU.

They're not integral to reserve units, but they can borrow them for training if they can convice a reg force unit to let them do so.

LineJumper said:
Ahhhh, I do miss the days of recovering cable from the massive platform that was the Iltis ;D

Urrrgghhh....from back in the day when men were men and Linemen all walked around with one really big arm ;D.  No power recovery :p.  I don't miss them, although my days of recovering cable are pretty much over, now days it's easier to just point and say "pick that up boys" and the cable magically jumps, fully serviced, back on the reel.

Swingline1984 said:
Urrrgghhh....from back in the day when men were men and Linemen all walked around with one really big arm ;D.  No power recovery :p.  I don't miss them, although my days of recovering cable are pretty much over, now days it's easier to just point and say "pick that up boys" and the cable magically jumps, fully serviced, back on the reel.

I held onto a 2:1 ratio from the the old 5/4 before they were put to pasture, so my arms were almost close to equal 8)

Back