• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Saudi group wants Canadian oil facilities hit

milnewstbay said:
That's a good point - in spite of our doing heavy lifting in AFG, what do you think the US's response would be if there's even one terrorist attack in Canada?  Unless we jump all over it, it would be too easy for them to say, "ya know, we don't want them coming over here, too", and shut down the border to trade.  Not so much skin off America's nose, but lots off ours.

Tony.......

If the US did anything so bold as to blockade our border..... would they include oil & other energy resources (hydro)? Probably not
If the oil continued to flow..... would Canada continue to sell oil at it's current price or impose tarifs?

This is all rhetoric, our border with the US is safe & nothing is about to happen

geo said:
Tony.......

If the US did anything so bold as to blockade our border..... would they include oil & other energy resources (hydro)? Probably not
If the oil continued to flow..... would Canada continue to sell oil at it's current price or impose tarifs?

This is all rhetoric, our border with the US is safe & nothing is about to happen

You've posed an interesting dilemma.  I highly doubt that the Hydro deal between Quebec and NY (and the rest of the US NE) will be terminated/suspended.  It may, however, in a scenario as you have put forward, cause the splintering of Canada, starting with Quebec Separation, followed by the West.

... I would put forward the probability that the US would dearly wish to protect "their" energy resources - of all kinds... Hydro & oil... it's all the same - it makes things go.... so the US have a vested interest in Quebec, Alberta AND Newfoundland remaining on their prefered vendor's list.

geo said:
If the US did anything so bold as to blockade our border..... would they include oil & other energy resources (hydro)? Probably not If the oil continued to flow..... would Canada continue to sell oil at it's current price or impose tarifs?  This is all rhetoric, our border with the US is safe & nothing is about to happen

geo said:
... I would put forward the probability that the US would dearly wish to protect "their" energy resources - of all kinds... Hydro & oil... it's all the same - it makes things go.... so the US have a vested interest in Quebec, Alberta AND Newfoundland remaining on their prefered vendor's list.

George Wallace said:
  You've posed an interesting dilemma.  I highly doubt that the Hydro deal between Quebec and NY (and the rest of the US NE) will be terminated/suspended.  It may, however, in a scenario as you have put forward, cause the splintering of Canada, starting with Quebec Separation, followed by the West.

To be honest, never thought of it that way - very good points.  I was thinking in very general terms regarding any perceived threat from Canada's side potentially leading to (as one option) the US saying, "no thanks, we won't take any of those goodies you sell to us."  Wouldn't have to be as big as a blockade to apply pressure here, though - just slow down the lines of traffic coming into the US, and hear people/businesses scream.

I think that a guy in a turbian and sandles with a AK walking around northern Alberta might attract some attention from the locals. ;D

Actually, nowhere man, they wouldn't. As a kid growing up in the boonies of the Yukon Territory, we'd watch with amazement the shear numbers of pilgrims ..err.. tourists that rolled on by in their RVs driving the Al-Can.  Locals could care less what the pilgrim looked like as long as they brought that huge RV and paid top dollar per litre for gas and ate in the zillion greasy spoon cafes along the highway and hooked up to the RV park at night.  At any given time, there is a long line of American tourists tripping on up the Al-Can on their way to see their northern state.  Border crossing is a joke as they (Americans and Canadians) close the border at midnight.  With the amount of imported workers in the oil fields, a few "turbans and sandals" aren't going to stick out. 

Another point to consider, who is going to look closely at someone who has a skin colour that isn't freckled and fair when there is a large First Nation population in the north? If I get, "gee you look Spanish or Mexican" from someone who is unfamiliar with First Nation and their appearance, I doubt anyone is going to draw the distinction at first blush that "that darker complexted person is an Islamic terrorist" over a person who, being First Nation, is perhaps as dark complexted.  And I really doubt that anyone not skilled in linguistics is going to be able to tell the difference between a few words in Farsi over those spoken in say, Tutchone or Dogrib. (I've been asked by eavesdroppers if I'm speaking Chinese when I speak my language so to the average citizen, the distinctions are not always so clear). We're going to have to come up with a much better mechanism to identify a potential terrorist than simply their outer wear or skin tone. 

milnewstbay said:
To be honest, never thought of it that way - very good points.  I was thinking in very general terms regarding any perceived threat from Canada's side potentially leading to (as one option) the US saying, "no thanks, we won't take any of those goodies you sell to us."  Wouldn't have to be as big as a blockade to apply pressure here, though - just slow down the lines of traffic coming into the US, and hear people/businesses scream.

If the Americans did that it would simply mean that the terrorists win. It would cripple our economy which is one of their goals, an American embargo or blockade would be a very symbolic victory for the terrorists. It would also give them the perfect strategy to beat the Americans; attack their allies so the Americans are forced to close their borders to them. And as America is very dependent on other countries economy wise that would be devastating for them, this might force America to become isolationist again hence a victory for the terrorists. So therefore I would think an American blockade on us would be extremely counter productive for them.

ok I have worked the patch, near Cold Lake...... lived in Bonnyville, and frankly except for the AWR security at any of the "major" sites is laughable...... I wil not go into details in open air... but surfice it to say..... a 12 yrld could easily do some serious damage that would take far more then a week to repair...... have someone motivated enough well a group motivated enough and it would make such a symolic statement that it will raise massive stink.

You can't forget BC. We supply power as far down as California, and we also supply water. Without BC's business The western United States would be desperate.

did it ocer that a security threat to Canada may mean a Vested intrest by US security forces?
meaning a attack in Canada may mean US troops on our ground defending Our resources so we can sell it to them.
think about it we run their lights full their cars ans pump their drinking water.
the NEED us to run

Dogboy said:
think about it we run their lights full their cars ans pump their drinking water.
the NEED us to run

I'm pretty sure there's no drinking water involved, unless you're just trying to wind up a few western provincial politicians.

flamingbear said:
I'm pretty sure there's no drinking water involved, unless you're just trying to wind up a few western provincial politicians.

On the contrary, there are several projects that have been blocked by Canadian authorities over the years that some US businessmen would love to proceed with.

Ummm... the garrison project would be one - taking water from Alberta & senidng it down to California

then there is the people who want to flush a reservoir towards Winnipeg...

BattleHawk said:
You can't forget BC. We supply power as far down as California, and we also supply water. Without BC's business The western United States would be desperate.

Seems to me at times cutting off the US maybe a good idea. Remember the multi billion default by several California power companies. BC hydro ate that bill and then passed it on to us the consumers. I do not know what part of BC your from BH but there a several thousand in the logging, and related spin off industries that have the same view. Soft wood lumber anyone, plant relocation, down sizing, export of raw logs to US finishing plants( also overseas). Trade protectionism ............. the list goes on and goes back a hundred years or so. Can anyone spell Arrow?

Fact or Fiction: Raiding the Icebox; Behind Its Warm Front, the United States Made Cold Calculations to Subdue Canada
by Peter Carlson, Washington Post, 30 December 2005

"Invading Canada won't be like invading Iraq: When we invade Canada, nobody will be able to grumble that we didn't have a plan.

The United States government does have a plan to invade Canada. It's a 94-page document called "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan -- Red," with the word SECRET stamped on the cover. It's a bold plan, a bodacious plan, a step-by-step plan to invade, seize and annex our neighbor to the north. It goes like this:

First, we send a joint Army-Navy overseas force to capture the port city of Halifax, cutting the Canadians off from their British allies.

Then we seize Canadian power plants near Niagara Falls, so they freeze in the dark.

Then the U.S. Army invades on three fronts -- marching from Vermont to take Montreal and Quebec, charging out of North Dakota to grab the railroad center at Winnipeg, and storming out of the Midwest to capture the strategic nickel mines of Ontario.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Navy seizes the Great Lakes and blockades Canada's Atlantic and Pacific ports.

At that point, it's only a matter of time before we bring these Molson-swigging, maple-mongering Zamboni drivers to their knees! Or, as the official planners wrote, stating their objective in bold capital letters: "ULTIMATELY TO GAIN COMPLETE CONTROL."

It sounds like a joke but it's not. War Plan Red is real. It was drawn up and approved by the War Department in 1930, then updated in 1934 and 1935. It was declassified in 1974 and the word "SECRET" crossed out with a heavy pencil. Now it sits in a little gray box in the National Archives in College Park, available to anybody, even Canadian spies. They can photocopy it for 15 cents a page.

Full text: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CHO20051231&articleId=1691

Vancouver, or more specificly, Coquitlam, only acouple of miles awat froVancouver, but still an hour through traffic! :brickwall:

the famed "Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan -- Red,"
Iv heard of it before.
that's what a bored bunch of staff do, they make war simulations don't they?

the point is it may happen not as a war but as a defensive act.
don't forget the treaty we sinned that prevents us from selling oil to anyone else if the US is at War or State of Emergency. I thing we have to sell it to them before we can use it or something silly.

Back