• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RPAS (was JUSTAS): the project to buy armed Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAVs

Roger. I didn’t read closely enough on the A Vs B part. My understanding from the 1st article reading between the lines to a degree is that the MQ 9A that flew in the Cdn Arctic was the test bed for some of the MQ 9B systems.

Also, remember that the MND indicated savings would be found by pushing back purchases of new kit.

If one were applying that idea rationally, it makes sense to push back new capabilities rather than replacements for current capabilities. We need new MPAs now, new UAS are a lower priority.

A tidy little op-ed on the MQ-9B Sea Guardian.
I may be a bit biased, but I'm of the opinion that it certainly doesn't get enough attention that the Distributed-ASW package has a "made in Canada" angle. Everything from initial design, development and conduct of operator training right in Kanata!
A real missed opportunity that this capability may not be envisioned on RCAF's variant.
Looking forward to seeing this capability rapidly operationalized by a bunch of our allies!

I may be a bit biased, but I'm of the opinion that it certainly doesn't get enough attention that the Distributed-ASW package has a "made in Canada" angle. Everything from initial design, development and conduct of operator training right in Kanata!
A real missed opportunity that this capability may not be envisioned on RCAF's variant.
Looking forward to seeing this capability rapidly operationalized by a bunch of our allies!
This will be an important platform for Canada and I certainly hope that we get the ASW package to make full use of them.

That being said I think the author is a bit over the top in his claims about the impact of the MQ-9B
Once fully operational, the MQ-9B will end the submarine’s dominance in naval warfare. This is just the beginning, and soon, the MQ-9B will be further upgraded, and the new models will likely be able to simultaneously carry the sonobuoys and depth charges/torpedoes under their wing pylons. The MQ-9B and platforms like it will join the air and naval services of different nations. The proliferation of this technology will not be restricted to any one country.

A revolution in anti-submarine warfare is on the horizon and requires the immediate attention of military strategists and policymakers. The revolution, led by the MQ-9B, will alter the dynamics of naval warfare for generations to come.
The Sea Guardian is simply substituting a long-endurance, unmanned MPA for a manned MPA. There's no new technology for either detection of destruction of enemy subs on the platform and the extended endurance is coming at the expense of overall capability. The MQ-9B is currently unarmed and even when it is armed it will have less payload than a manned MPA. The extended endurance of the Sea Guardian also doesn't necessarily result in greater persistence in conducting it's mission either since it can only carry 40 x A-size sonobuoys vs 129 on a P-8.

Given what I’ve seen on the RPAS IOC/FOC LOT #s…we would need to make serious adjustments to the RPAS project to make this work. That means more money and personnel. To quote someone…

they're asking for more than we are able to give right now

The Royal Navy has been operating pilotless aircraft from its ships for around two decades but the Mojave – a version of the MQ1C Gray Eagle aircraft adapted for take-off and landing from runways even shorter than the flight deck of Queen Elizabeth-class carriers – is much larger and more complex than other models. Mojave is capable of carrying out several long endurance missions from medium altitude, with its maximum altitude being 29,000ft.

Looks like a further delay to RPAS, to make it work in the "high arctic": News article about RPAS project delays due to Arctic performance.

Link removed by staff for Site Guidelines compliance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a further delay to RPAS, to make it work in the "high arctic": News article about RPAS project delays due to Arctic performance.

Ah the make it look like we are doing something but really not doing anything trick!

Edited by staff for Site Guidelines compliance.

It’s not a further delay - the article was just reposted to Defense News. It’s the same article as from a month or two ago, posted on this thread.

Apologies. I checked back to Oct 1, and did not see it, so figured it was new. Also, was not aware of the ban on articles from that particular reporter. Will not happen again.

Pretty sure last time I looked we also had them in Alaska and Thule…
If they operate out of Elmendorf AFB then the climate there is much warmer than North Dakota.

My second point on that post is that Reapers are being operated by the Air National Guard. It never ceases to annoy the hell out of me that the Americans can trust expensive, sophisticated, complex kit to their reservists while Canada gives theirs second class trucks.

:mad:

Back