• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Residency Requirements for SECURITY CLEARANCE

Mileender

Inactive
Reaction score
How strict is the 5 year residency requirement for joining the res? Although I was born and raised in Canada, and I'm a Canadian citizen, I've spent a good part of my working life overseas, and I only moved back to Canada about two and half years ago. At the recruiting center here in Montreal, they said it was pretty strict - any time you spend more than 6 months outside the country, the clock resets to zero and you have to wait 5 years. Others have told me different... that it's cumulative. Anyone know?

That sounds rather odd to me.  I am not an expert on the Admin matters involved, but was always under the assumption that if you were a Canadian citizen by birth you should have no such problems.  If the children of Cdn Service Members who were serving overseas for several years and return to Canada have no problem joining the Reserves, then the same should apply in your case.

GW

Well, I hope you're right. Although I haven't put in my papers yet, that's the one thing I really worry about.

I've been searching the other posts as well as the forces website but I could not find the answer to this question. With the security check, they must investigate any time that you have left the country. HOw long do you have to be away for it to be considered, living away? I have spent 3 months living in China as well as spending 5 summers working in the US.

Sorry if this has been covered

You need to account for all employment and residential addresses for the period being investigated, there can be no gaps.  While you don't need to account for the 2 week vacation to Mexico (this goes under travel if required) if you considered yourself to be â Å“livingâ ? in a location then you need to account for it.  Failure to do so will only raise flags if/when this information is found via other means.

Security Clerance - another big disfactor in getting in the CF.  Takes WAY to long to process - Someone really needs to get back the resources we had (Military Policemen) local/DND wide and get on with this process.  Either that or hire an organization with real technology to get on with this process for us!  I am still amazed - we had LESS MPs and resources back in 79, but you were still enrolled quicker then?  I see no excuse other than the above for this not being quicker.  Seeing we pay our MPs more $ now, lets see if THEY can come up with better ideas on how to make this process quicker - or give RMS Clerks spec pay and we will do this for them  >:D  (just kiddin guys - I am still kinda miffed with 3 MOCs into One and we still get paid the same $) - and I know you spend 2 years getting trained - god someone is at least working for you guys and certainly not for our MOC - STILL love being a Clerk!
Again, for those complaining about the processes with enrolling - you as a civilian STILL have a choice without being black...
contact your Member of Parliament and complain seeing you pay them as a taxpayer to HELP you.

EmilyB said:
I've been searching the other posts as well as the forces website but I could not find the answer to this question. With the security check, they must investigate any time that you have left the country. HOw long do you have to be away for it to be considered, living away? I have spent 3 months living in China as well as spending 5 summers working in the US.

Sorry if this has been covered
You're probably going to have to do the long form.  It goes back 10 years, and it involves some exchange of info with different Sovereign Nations.  Unfortunately, for you Canada and China are not too pleased with each other at the moment so it may take up to two years.  Be patient.

Jebo asked about his Yugoslav background.  I have a similar question.  I plan to join the reserves  (either infantry or armoured) and I spent 15 years in Republic of Korea (South Korea, of course) as a citizen (also born there).  I also spent 5 years in Japan and 5 years in the US before coming here.  Been only 2 years since I got the Canadian citizenship.  If I decide to join, would my background and record of foreign residency in Korea, Japan, US be a problem like Jebo?  Is any east asian country like Korea or Japan, not China or North Korea, also considered security sensitive?  ??? :-\

the question should be are any of these
"Scheduled" countries,  Any country where the UN or Canadian Troops are currently involved in operations are considered scheduled countries. To my knowledge South Korea and Japan are currently not scheduled but please double check with the recruiting staff when you apply for the forces.

Thanks a lot for the information.  Korea still has small UN observers after the armistice and I heard there's also a small Canadian detachment there.  Just wondered whether my Korean background would hurt or help if I decided to join CF.  Thanks! :cdn:

Cuba is scheduled, isnt it?
Russia too?

Was watching the news yesterday and some federal employees were having problems because Canada and Japan dont share security info and a background check was taking an exceptionally long time.

This is one that a recruiter or someone from int could help you out with a little more. It probably wont prevent you from joining but expect a delay on your background check.

Thanks, everyone for the feedbacks.  Yea... I guess I should expect some delays on the clearance process.  And yes, Japan is a constitutional monarchy.  I meant Republic of Korea AND Japan.  ;D

Back