• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist probed for 'racist activity' as police prepare for white pride rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This from the Calagry herald shared with the usual disclaimer.

As Calgary police gear up to monitor a white pride rally on Saturday, a Winnipeg-based teenage Canadian Forces member who’s apparently intending to attend the event is being investigated by the military over “serious allegations of racist activity.”

Capt. Karina Holder of the Canadian Forces Military Police said a probe was launched after the allegations came to light this week.

The 17-year-old reservist’s name isn’t being released, but Holder said he’s a “recent entry” to the Canadian Forces.

“Racist attitudes are completely incompatible with the military ethos and with effective military service,” she said. “Any conduct that reflects such attitudes will not be tolerated.”

Holder said “racist conduct” is banned and could lead to administrative or disciplinary action — including release from the military.

The military wouldn’t reveal the allegations against the teenager.

In unverified postings on his Facebook page, in which he describes himself as a Canadian Forces armoured crewman, he quotes Hitler and Mussolini. The teen has also put up a post looking for others interested in carpooling to the White Pride World Wide march in Calgary. Posts have been made in his name on a white supremacist online forum.

The teen could not be reached for comment to determine whether he was behind the postings. His mother said she was unaware of the allegations against the teenager, adding that she doesn’t condone white pride activities.

Harder said the military is taking the allegations seriously.

“The vast, vast majority of Canadian Forces members are respectful towards all people,” Harder said. “This a very isolated incident and we are taking it very seriously.”

The military received information about the individual this week via an anonymous e-mail, which was also sent to the Herald.

The probe comes as Calgary police said they have met with white supremacists and counter-demonstrators in an effort to prevent any violence during a planned march on Saturday.

A similar “white pride” event in 2009 turned briefly violent as members of both sides briefly skirmished and some in the crowd threw rocks and full soup cans at the white supremacists.

Police said they have spoken with both groups to get an idea of how many people are expected to attend this weekend’s event and officers will be prepared.

“We have a plan in place to make sure we can keep the two groups apart,” said Insp. Keith Cain.

Investigators believe the violence in 2009 was started by people who infiltrated the crowd and weren’t affiliated with either group.

While a majority of Calgarians may find the white supremacists’ message offensive, police stressed their ability to gather and hold a demonstration is constitutionally protected.

“The reality is, the Charter protects that right,” said Chief Rick Hanson.

The Criminal Code has three sections relating to hate crimes, however, the offences are narrowly defined and police need permission from the provincial attorney general before using them to lay charges.

The Criminal Code makes it an offence to advocate genocide, publicly incite or promote hatred, or mischief to a place of worship that’s motivated by hate.

The Criminal Code also has a provision that allows judges to impose a more severe sentence if it can be proven a crime is motivated by hate or prejudice.

Let's let the investigation run it's course before we begin making any sort of judgements.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hence "if this is accurate".

I will say more generally that any such conduct by a CF member is, in my mind, inexcusable and should result in a briskly processed release. If this kid turns out to fall in that category, well, tough cookies.

recceguy said:
Let's let the investigation run it's course before we begin making any sort of judgements.

Where's the fun in that??

Brihard said:
Hence "if this is accurate".

I will say more generally that any such conduct by a CF member is, in my mind, inexcusable and should result in a briskly processed release. If this kid turns out to fall in that category, well, tough cookies.
I have to agree. Mind you, we all held pre conceived notions when we were that age, and when we expressed them openly we were brisquely told to smarten up. Maybe all he needs is a good old fashioned session of "counselling". Maybe C & P would help.

Jim Seggie said:
.... we all held pre conceived notions when we were that age, and when we expressed them openly we were brisquely told to smarten up. Maybe all he needs is a good old fashioned session of "counselling". Maybe C & P would help.
You're right about how young people were (not that much different than now, I guess), but the biggest difference is that now, they have all sorts of new ways to reach broader audiences with their folly.  Is it just me, or do a lot of people out there who've grown up with social media just not realize how PUBLIC it is?

milnews.ca said:
......of people out there who've grown up with social media just not realize how PUBLIC it is?

I could not agree more.  That is one of the reason I don't use facebook anymore, it is creepy.

This monday will be fun for sure. I have attended the March 21 rally since '07, and I hope the nazis show up this year so we can let them know their filth isnt weclome. Oddly, this is not the first time a CF member has been accused of such. A group called Anti-Racist Canada (a better cut of folks than those commie ARA types), has profiled another CF member accused of making racist internet postings on Stormfront, the white nationalist forum.

nuclearzombies said:
This monday will be fun for sure. I have attended the March 21 rally since '07, and I hope the nazis show up this year so we can let them know their filth isnt weclome. Oddly, this is not the first time a CF member has been accused of such. A group called Anti-Racist Canada (a better cut of folks than those commie ARA types), has profiled another CF member accused of making racist internet postings on Stormfront, the white nationalist forum.

You may want to rethink attending. These events can get out of hand very quickly, and it doesn't matter why you're there.

You are correct Jim. Several members of the unit got involved wearing civilian attire "defending" the now closed Winnipeg US Counsel office in 83/84. Seems like they formed a human barricade at the door, barring the peaceful peace protesters. Police were called.

One of those guys is currently serving as a RCR Sgt and his brother is an Int Capt.

Awful Werry, the CO, and the RSM had our hands full with the inquiries, from up high and the media swarm.

Fifty years have gone by, therefore let it be said the unit received a "thank-you" hand delivered from an official source south of Winnipeg.

In my opinion members of the CF should NOT involve themselves in political activity of any sort. We are loyal to the country only, and not any political party or cause.
IF you disagree that strongly with government positions, you can take your release and disagree more publicly. We've been down this road before, so I will shut up now!!

it upsets me that my old fireteam partner was accused for public racial comments and having spending 2 month with him, i know he is in fact a white supremist. No action was taken against him except a media awareness class.
Now he works at the BHQ.

I once loosely spoke out(asked a question to conservative representatives at a tour across Canada) at a political conference months ago and it took them less than 10 minutes find out that I'm in the CF and my CoC e-mailed me within that 10 mintues to shut up.
Digital world is scary.

Iffff Im reading your post correctly- you think that you were hard done by because you used an inappropriate forum to ask questions that put the CF in a negative light?

well it wasn't even a forum, it was a conference at school and my question was verbally asked, and all I stated after was my full name

Okay without derailing the thread further- in my opinion, which is worth nothing, it was entirely appropriate for your COC to tell you to be quiet. It is inappropriate for someone to ask questions of political leaders in public about the CF not treating "white supremists" seriously enough (which of course is your opinion).

There is a time and a place for questioning things like that. Doing it in front of your school- about something that in reality you wouldnt be completely privy to ("only getting a media awareness class"). Thats not fighting the good fight. Thats making the CF look like back water fools in front of people who have no idea that its not a rampant problem and its a relatively isolated case.

Further to that- what the hell would the politician be able to do for you? I'd love to hear how you phrased that question.

"I work for the government- my partner was a racist and when he was caught all he got was a media awareness class. What is your government going to do to stamp out all the racists in the CF?"

Container said:
Iffff Im reading your post correctly- you think that you were hard done by because you used an inappropriate forum to ask questions that put the CF in a negative light?

He's allowed to ask questions as long as he's not wearing a CF uniform slash openly stating "I am a CF member blah blah blah."

I don't see anything wrong with a CF member taking part in peaceful protests/demonstrations/etc., as long as they aren't in uniform or openly stating they are a CF member, and if the CF does it isn't reflected in the QR&Os. Is it a good idea? Probably not, because things can go awry and you're setting yourself up to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, even if you didn't do anything wrong.

Also, I'm not a white supremicist, nor would I attend a "white pride" parade, I think it's quite stupid, just like I think a black pride parade is stupid. But I am a bit offended that there are gay pride parades, black pride parades, "insert random thing here" parades, but a white pride parade is expected to be met with violence.

I can't speak on the Hitler and Mussolini quotes, but a CF member shouldn't get in trouble for attending a white pride parade if a CF member isn't going to get in trouble for attending a black pride parade, and I'm quite sure we recently authorized members to attend a gay pride parade in uniform.

EDIT: Was not under the impression that multihobbiest meant his questions were about white supremacy in the CF and his fireteam partner... Might be the green beers kickin in.

ballz said:
He's allowed to ask questions as long as he's not wearing a CF uniform slash openly stating "I am a CF member blah blah blah."

If everyone knows what you do and they know its your reference its the same thing. We're not talking about asking about the new city hydro plan- this is a question that potentially casts a negative light on the CF as a whole. Questions like that need to framed carefully and not tossed about "loosely". What your question insinuates can cause more damage than the "problem" you are trying to fix.

Perhaps its my own green beers.  :st.patty:

That's so awesome I never noticed that leprechaun before ;D

I wasn't even thinking that he asked a question about his fireteam partner and whatnot.

And yes I agree "if everyone knows what you do," which is why I keep my other secret life a secret at university... plus I had run-ins with a few hippies in first year, so I learned from that... but so did they :threat:

multihobbist said:
having spending 2 month with him, i know he is in fact a white supremist. No action was taken against him except a media awareness class.

If I recall correctly, you sign a document acknowledging that belonging to a hate group, although protected under the Charter, is not extended to the CF and is grounds for a release.  Your friend's days in uniform may be numbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back