• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jairusdavid

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I made up my mind and I am joining the Army as a reserve Armoured Soldier.

I read somewhere that I can do the basic training at Quebec then after training come back to the local unit.

Is that true?

For Reg F you would go to Quebec for basic. For reserves you would do your basic either at a local armoury on weekends, or full time in the summer at a base like Meaford or Gagetown, or Valcartier (if you speak French).

It says on the Infanteer video on CAF youtube page:

âï¸ Reservist returns to home unit

“Once straight qualified, infanteers are posted at an infantry battalion at bases accross Canada. Reservists in this role will return to their home unit to where they continue their training on a part time basis.”

Do they mean I get to train where the full time train? Then return to the home unit as soon as I’m qualified?

It’s because your basic is not done at your home unit. It is done at a nearby armoury like I said. Or full time at another base in the summer. After which you return to your home unit, meaning the reserve unit that you joined.
You would not train with the Reg F. There are things taught on the Reg F basic that reserves don’t need, admin things that they are not entitled to because they are part time.

So ideally you do BMQ part time on the weekends, and then you go to a training base for your infantry training, which is anoth 5-7 weeks I believe. Infantry training and BMQ are different courses and you cannot do infantry training (DP1) until BMQ is successful.

Lastly you said you wanted to join as an armoured crewman. You will NOT do infantry training. You will do basic training (BMQ). Your BMQ may have infanteers in that course. You may have medics and clerks and vehicle techs as well. After that has been completed then your home unit will let you know when and where armoured training will happen.

It’s because your basic is not done at your home unit. It is done at a nearby armoury like I said. Or full time at another base in the summer. After which you return to your home unit, meaning the reserve unit that you joined.
You would not train with the Reg F. There are things taught on the Reg F basic that reserves don’t need, admin things that they are not entitled to because they are part time.

So ideally you do BMQ part time on the weekends, and then you go to a training base for your infantry training, which is anoth 5-7 weeks I believe. Infantry training and BMQ are different courses and you cannot do infantry training (DP1) until BMQ is successful.

Lastly you said you wanted to join as an armoured crewman. You will NOT do infantry training. You will do basic training (BMQ). Your BMQ may have infanteers in that course. You may have medics and clerks and vehicle techs as well. After that has been completed then your home unit will let you know when and where armoured training will happen.
I apologize, I don’t know which one to choose until now. I like the Infantry too because it’s a cooler job but I feel like armoured soldier is the safer job of the two.

I apologize, I don’t know which one to choose until now. I like the Infantry too because it’s a cooler job but I feel like armoured soldier is the safer job of the two.
So you need to decide if you want to do Armoured (drive around in the TAPV as a reservist or Leopard 2 as Regular Force) or Infantry (Back of trucks or foot borne in the Reserves and LAV 6 in the Regular Force). Regular Force (Full time job) or Reserves (Part Time with some full time mixed in if your interested depending on trade and availability). I think you've chosen Reserves.

As for "cooler" or "safer", both trades have cool training/deployment opportunities, so either would be good, but if your looking for a job in the Army that is safer than others, Combat Arms probably isn't the place to be. Both trades are at the tip of the spear (along with many others) and NOT safe. I recommend Postal or perhaps Personnel Selection Officer as safer choices. Pick a trade you feel you would like to do, not based on cooler or safety etc...

Your BMQ, as mentioned above could be ran in a number of different places, depending on need and availability. In Halifax, reserve soldiers over the last couple of years have done BMQ at their Unit in Halifax, in Aldershot NS, at another Unit in another province, etc... It depends when you get on a course, and what ones happen to be running at that time. There is no guarantee of where you will go for BMQ, nor do you typically get a choice.

I wonder if I can do the full time training of infantry then when I’m fully train go back to the reserve unit? Just so my skills are honed well then come back to the reserve force unit so I can come back to my duty in God’s house. I think I can train up to 6 months full time.

I really wanna go through the normal training of infantry but after that I want the life of a reserve soldier (I can choose which war to volunteer to).

I chose infantry because I don’t wanna lose ever again on fights, I could have chosen non combat position but I like to become skilled in fighting.

I wonder if I can do the full time training of infantry then when I’m fully train go back to the reserve unit? Just so my skills are honed well then come back to the reserve force unit so I can come back to my duty in God’s house. I think I can train up to 6 months full time.

I really wanna go through the normal training of infantry but after that I want the life of a reserve soldier (I can choose which war to volunteer to).
Resserves training for infantry is equivalent to Reg F training.. Reserves training for infantry is normal training for infantry. There is nothing in the Reg F version that you won't get in the reserves version if it is critical to your role as an infanteer. Trade training for reserves is typically done full time in the summer, regardless.

You are going to have to make a decision - either you want to be a full time Regular force soldier, or you want to be a part time soldier. You can't have both.

Not sure why you think you will get fighting skills as an infanteer. There isn't much hand to hand combat or fighting skills involved in being an infanteer. You will be disappointed.

I think the OG isn't radically different in their beliefs than many other youngsters coming to the army. Especially true of those people who do not have serving members in their family.

@Jairusdavid - the CAF will be a learning experience and no matter which trade you enroll in you will have opportunities to learn lots of stuff you wouldn't have learned in civilian life. It will be up to you to decide which opportunities you decide to engage. Best of luck.

Resserves training for infantry is equivalent to Reg F training.. Reserves training for infantry is normal training for infantry. There is nothing in the Reg F version that you won't get in the reserves version if it is critical to your role as an infanteer. Trade training for reserves is typically done full time in the summer, regardless.

You are going to have to make a decision - either you want to be a full time Regular force soldier, or you want to be a part time soldier. You can't have both.

Not sure why you think you will get fighting skills as an infanteer. There isn't much hand to hand combat or fighting skills involved in being an infanteer. You will be disappointed.
That is so good to know that it’s the same training.

I mean that’s the job of an Infanteer right? Fighting to death, they must be getting taught how to neutralize an opponent with just hands.

I think the OG isn't radically different in their beliefs than many other youngsters coming to the army. Especially true of those people who do not have serving members in their family.

@Jairusdavid - the CAF will be a learning experience and no matter which trade you enroll in you will have opportunities to learn lots of stuff you wouldn't have learned in civilian life. It will be up to you to decide which opportunities you decide to engage. Best of luck.
What martial arts do the army use sir?

I mean that’s the job of an Infanteer right? Fighting to death, they must be getting taught how to neutralize an opponent with just hands.

No martial arts. None.
If you want to learn martial arts, that's on your own time. A lot of bases have karate clubs, ju-jitsu clubs, some even have MMA clubs. but you won't get any martial arts classes paid for by the military.
You may get close quarters combat training, but the goal of an infanteer is to fight using their weapon, not to fight fistfights. And you fight to win, not fight to the death. They are NOT taught to kill with their bare hands. At least not in Canada.

As I said, the CAF is a learning experience.

I realize that a more even handed approach has been adopted by many on these means when responding to individuals who may have unrealistic expectations (or understanding, for that matter) of what military service will be and whether it should (or could) be pursued. However, sometimes, especially after a more rigorous review of posting history here and on other social media, a more traditional (and honest) response may be called for.

I realize that a more even handed approach has been adopted by many on these means when responding to individuals who may have unrealistic expectations (or understanding, for that matter) of what military service will be and whether it should (or could) be pursued. However, sometimes, especially after a more rigorous review of posting history here and on other social media, a more traditional (and honest) response may be called for.

You looked at my social media? What did you not like about my posts?

You looked at my social media? What did you not like about my posts?

Like or not like has nothing to do with it. But, in my opinion, the tone and content of your posts here and on other sites indicate that you do not know what the military does, do not understand its purpose, make no real effort to correct those deficiencies or are unable to do so, and, seemingly, appear to present as one who is unsuitable to be in the military. If I was still serving and you presented yourself as you have on these means to me as a potential recruit to serve in my unit (and yes, I did at one time command a reserve unit) you would not be enrolled.

As @Kirkhill more kindly put it "the CAF is a learning experience". It can provide a tremendous opportunity for young people to experience personal growth and positive emotional experiences. It can help one mature and know oneself better, strengthen resiliency, improve coping skills, and learn to take pride in self and your associations. In other words, discipline.

But it doesn't do that for everyone. Potential recruits have to meet some basic requirements. Some are very obvious; meeting minimum educational, physical and medical standards. Others not so glaringly obvious; personality and psychological. Based on how you've so far presented yourself here, I think you would fall short on meeting those requirements.

Like or not like has nothing to do with it. But, in my opinion, the tone and content of your posts here and on other sites indicate that you do not know what the military does, do not understand its purpose, make no real effort to correct those deficiencies or are unable to do so, and, seemingly, appear to present as one who is unsuitable to be in the military. If I was still serving and you presented yourself as you have on these means to me as a potential recruit to serve in my unit (and yes, I did at one time command a reserve unit) you would not be enrolled.

As @Kirkhill more kindly put it "the CAF is a learning experience". It can provide a tremendous opportunity for young people to experience personal growth and positive emotional experiences. It can help one mature and know oneself better, strengthen resiliency, improve coping skills, and learn to take pride in self and your associations. In other words, discipline.

But it doesn't do that for everyone. Potential recruits have to meet some basic requirements. Some are very obvious; meeting minimum educational, physical and medical standards. Others not so glaringly obvious; personality and psychological. Based on how you've so far presented yourself here, I think you would fall short on meeting those requirements.
Yea I messaged the reserve recruiting unit and did what people from here told me: tell them everything I told you people. And I still don’t have a reply. Their staff just came back this september 4 and 3 days later no reply yet. I don’t think I can get in in the military now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back