• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve training (Elgins)

Craig M

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘m seriously looking at joining the Elgins, but I have a few questions that need to be answered regarding training.

Since I‘m currently employeed I cannot afford to take the summer off to attend BMQ/SQ. I know that it is possible to do the training on the weekend but this would take most of the year (if done every other weekend). What would be tasks would I be doing on the Thurs. nights that the regiment meets as I would not be offically classed as a soldier until finished this training.

Then after completing the BMQ/SQ the norm is to do MOC at Gagetown for 6 weeks in the summer. Seeing as I only have 3 weeks of holidays a year this agian is not possible. So do they offer the MOC during weekends?

Just wondering how do other/your companies deal with reservists? Do they respect the fact that you may need extra time off for training? I know that there is no job protection within the CF, so have any of you talked to your employers regading your commitment to the CF?

Any comments regarding the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
CM

no, moc is not generally offered during the year, only summers. bmq/sq is offered during the year but In most cases training is cancelled due to lack of funding. So if you will never be able to leave for the summer and your job is too important to leave than the reserves might not be a good fit for you

Talk to your employer about a leave of absence to complete your training. Tell them what being a Reservist will entail, and what the value added for them is - discipline, leadership & management skills, teamwork skills, and an overall higher level of personal effectiveness. While we have no official legal job protection, a lot of employers will be alright with a bit of extra unpaid absences for you to train. Get it in writing, though!

I want to be a Combat Engineer. I have wanted to be a Combat Engineer before I knew there was a name for it. Aside from that making me an unusual child, it has presented some strange 'tip toeing' conversations with soldiers in Canada and America. I am a Canadian by birth and would prefer to serve in the CF over any other military. What restrictions will I encounter if I, being female, pursue my chosen career path in the CF?

If you meet all the basic requirements for age and citizenship and medical you should be good to go. If you are asking may a female join the beloved Engineer Branch as a Combat Engineer...but of course. Go see your nearest recruiter.  :salute:

Outstanding! Question round 2:

I grew up in the American Midwest; In public school Physics was a joke and Math and Science requirements fell off the face of the earth in 10-11th grade. Will I need to take some time to work on these before I take my entry exams, or will I be trained up? (I am a little nervous that despite the time I spent working on these things outside of highschool, I will be behind other recruits with a Canadian education.) What academic disciplines do you lean on the most on a day to day basis?

Any words of wisdom from you Sappers on PT? I am planning my pre-basic routine right now and I meet/exceed the minimum for females already. Is training mixed in the CF? Can you male Sappers handle a female colleague who can run as fast or lift more? What areas of PT should I focus on now for training and work as a Sapper?

-Padawan

TheCuriousPadawanofUbique said:

....SNIP.......
Any words of wisdom from you Sappers on PT? I am planning my pre-basic routine right now and I meet/exceed the minimum for females already. Is training mixed in the CF? Can you male Sappers handle a female colleague who can run as fast or lift more? What areas of PT should I focus on now for training and work as a Sapper?

-Padawan

I would suggest you aim for the men's standard  will make basic alot easier for you.

I grew up in the American Midwest; In public school Physics was a joke and Math and Science requirements fell off the face of the earth in 10-11th grade. Will I need to take some time to work on these before I take my entry exams, or will I be trained up? (I am a little nervous that despite the time I spent working on these things outside of highschool, I will be behind other recruits with a Canadian education.) What academic disciplines do you lean on the most on a day to day basis?

All you really need to be able to do math wise is to be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide without a calculator.  If you can do that you will be fine.

I am a Canadian by birth and would prefer to serve in the CF over any other military. What restrictions will I encounter if I, being female, pursue my chosen career path in the CF?

Do you think the CF is that far back in the stone age ???

I want to be a Combat Engineer. I have wanted to be a Combat Engineer before I knew there was a name for it. Aside from that making me an unusual child, it has presented some strange 'tip toeing' conversations with soldiers in Canada and America. I am a Canadian by birth and would prefer to serve in the CF over any other military. What restrictions will I encounter if I, being female, pursue my chosen career path in the CF?

NL_engineer said:
All you really need to be able to do math wise is to be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide without a calculator.  If you can do that you will be fine.

Do you think the CF is that far back in the stone age ???

Did you read the original post? She is currently in the States and therefore it is a valid question as we are one of the few (maybe only?) member of NATO that allows women in front line combat roles.

And therefore to give a clear answer, there is no restrictions for females in the Canadian Forces.

Back