• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

If they are calling your references now, It may just mean that your medical came back and was finalized. References are pretty much called last from what I can tell, then the application (if all goes well with the calls) is usually finalized 1-2 weeks later.

Can anyone confirm that the references are called last (AFTER the medical is cleared)?

Thanks,

Nites

In my case, my references were only called after my medical was cleared.

You do know that the reference checking has been contracted out?  So I wouldn't worry about when your references are checked just be grateful that that part of the processing is moving along.

scouthern said:
Yes, the DND no longer runs the reference checks. It is a company called "Backcheck". And they contact the references at their own discretion. My medical was not complete yet my references (all of them) were contacted.

BackCheck does not contact the references "at their own discretion".  They are contracted to contact the references (5) and complete their contract within 48 hrs in the majority of cases.  They bid for and received the contract to do this, and will be held to it.

Is this the case for all candidates/recruiting centers? Or is this a fairly new procedure? I was only asked for three references and of those only one was contacted by the interviewer himself who said there was no need to contact the others. This was a few weeks ago.

LuvsMud said:
Is this the case for all candidates/recruiting centers? Or is this a fairly new procedure? I was only asked for three references and of those only one was contacted by the interviewer himself who said there was no need to contact the others. This was a few weeks ago.

This is the new procedure, but it has not been implemented at all CFRCs just yet, so be prepared for it.  It is in the process of being implemented at all CFRCs now.  It may be implemented at your CFRC before all your processing has been completed.

Similar experience to Luvsmud, I believe only 1 of 3 of my references were contacted and the rest he said was unnecessary. My application got finalized so they probably would not be calling any more now?

I am getting feedback from my references that this ist he case. Only 1 of my 3 references was contacted.

Nites

Perhaps your first reference was sufficiently convincing and impressive that no further checks were required.  Or, it could have gone the other way.  >:D

My reference was contacted over 3 months ago. Im still waiting to get my medical back from Ottawa

koopa said:
My reference was contacted over 3 months ago. Im still waiting to get my medical back from Ottawa

:/ yeah people have had some long waits with medical from what I have heard

Niteshade said:
Can anyone confirm that the references are called last (AFTER the medical is cleared)?

Thanks,

Nites

Just as an update. I have spoken to the Medical officer at the CFRC, and while my references have been called, by medical is not yet cleared by Ottawa.

Nites

Niteshade said:
Just as an update. I have spoken to the Medical officer at the CFRC, and while my references have been called, by medical is not yet cleared by Ottawa.

Nites

So by the posts in this thread.. It pretty much depends on when they have the time to call the references it seems.

I have for the past several months been doing all of my testing and paperwork for the forces. After successfully completing my final test (medical was last) and what seemed to be a long wait, i recieved a phone call from the recruiting center. They told me that they got my file back from Ottawa and that everything was looking good, but that they had changed the process for the references and back ground check to the new BackCheck system. I was told they had sent me the new forms via email and to fill them out promptly, return them, and expect another phone call after BackCheck was finished reviewing the forms.  So i did this right away. Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of wait to expect this time before i get another phone call.

umm..

is this what you're talking about...
http://www.backcheck.ca/home.htm
looks like a commercial type "full range of clearances" that the CF might have decided to sign up for.

Backcheck has been contracted to do telephone reference interviews from the list of names you provided. Their mandate is supposed to have the majority of them completed in 3 days or less once the CFRC sends them the file. Once the CFRC's open up your file should move fast if that is all it is waiting for.

CFR FCS 

Excellent news - will ensure much faster turnaround for basic reliability checks on applicants.
3 day turnaround is VERY good IMHO - much better than when it was done "in-house"

I recently finished all of the elements of the application process the CFAT, medical, interview and PT test. I passed all of them. When I called the recruiting centre they told me they were in the process of doing my background/reference check. They told me that they should be finished by the end of the week so I was wondering when it is complete will  finally get in? My process seems to have taken forever and even my friend in the Navy said that it doesn't sound like a "normal" process? I just want to know roughly how long before I can be sworn in? Is there is anything left for me to do?

DND1980...
Enrollments made in the period leading up to XMass unfortunately fall into the black hole that is "Block Leave".

Many CF members have the oportunity to be off between Dec 13th & Jan 6th.... at the cost of one week's paid vacation time... so not much gets done during that time...

Things should speed up now.  If you think you have waited too long.... give them a call - they may have been trying to reach you.

Not to mention that everyone's application is different and what was "normal" for your Navy friend may not be "normal" for you.

Back