• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Red Cross in Afghanistan gives Taliban first aid help

R933ex

Inactive
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted but...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/south_asia/10161136.stm

Providing first aid care to all wounded irrespective of nationality, side, etc is what one would expect of the ICRC, as well as with our own troops.  Having said that, my question is this: is providing training to them going beyond?

I ask, because I don't know.

I would hardly consider this to be out of line with their principles or values. Specifically, the seven basic principles are:

Humanity
Impartiality
Neutrality
Independence
Voluntary Service
Unity
Universality

Emphasis mine. More details here.

Understood; however, would not training, even first aid training, be considered military training?  (Again, playing the role of advocate for Lucifer here)

Technoviking said:
Understood; however, would not training, even first aid training, be considered military training?  (Again, playing the role of advocate for Lucifer here)

Well, my mom's got her first aid course ... and she's never served a day. ;)

The Red Cross' mandate is to treat ALL sides the same, and ensure the reasonable treatment of ALL fighters, so this isn't a surprise.  IMHO, if they're training people who would be protected by wearing the Red Cross/Red Crescent/Red Whatever-the-symbol-of-the-week-is, they're not training combatants, per se.  Re:  "neutrality", it appears they read that to mean "help any side that asks", not "don't help anybody lest it look like we take sides". 

Now, since it appears the Taliban don't recognize the protection of the Red Cross symbol, it seems ironic at least. 

I'd be happy to hear more from anyone with more legal expertise.

Some excerpts from this piece:

Jim Davis says it's "disgusting" that the Red Cross would teach Taliban fighters how to save the lives of their wounded comrades on the battlefield. Maureen Eykelenboom says it's the right thing to do.

Mr. Davis, whose 26-year-old son Cpl. Paul Davis was killed in 2006, says he wouldn't go that far, but insists no outside agency should be teaching the Taliban how to heal its wounded.

"The Red Cross should be there to help civilians harmed in the fighting, but if the Red Cross is teaching the Taliban how to administer first aid to their fallen, well then they're helping the Taliban," he says. "I think that's disgusting. I wonder why they'd want to do that?"

(....)

"When wounded Taliban come into our custody, we don't patch them up and let them go and say, ‘Here's your rifle, go back at it,'" Mr. Davis says. "The Red Cross is teaching the Taliban to fix their wounds and maybe fight another day. That's harming our soldiers."

Ms. Eykelenboom, whose 23-year-old son Cpl. Andrew Eykelenboom -- an army medic -- was killed by a Taliban suicide bomber in 2006, says Andrew treated battle-wounded insurgents in Afghanistan, so why shouldn't the Red Cross?

"They're still humans. And maybe by giving them that kind of training and support, there's the potential that they could be better humans," she says.

(....)

Ms. Eykelenboom agrees that the ICRC's actions raise some difficult questions for Canadians, but says the only way out of the Afghan war is for all sides to treat each other with more humanity, not less.

"It's an ugly situation, the whole war," she says.

"But I don't believe not training the Taliban to look after their injured is going to solve the problem. It's only going to heighten the problem. Because when you have injured Taliban dying, you're going to get their families more up in arms and only strengthen the insurgency, and then what? The cycle of hate and anger just continues."

It all makes perfectly good sense. Treat, Train and supply the Taliban injured or other wise.

Therefore, in doing this we are enabling their return to a Combat roll, just to remind you IED's. RPG's, Mortar and Rocket Attacks and the ever so popular Suicide Bombers.

Sounds like a good plan. Now when they come begging for their annual contribution funds.
I guess you could almost say, we are enabling them to Attack and Kill us by our contributions.
Now I know there you that will say, this is the wrong way to look at this.

Regardless of all the High Fluting Legal and Moral Crap, I'm sorry, If it Quacks like a Duck, Waddles like a Duke, looks like a Duck. You can call it what ever you want. But to me its a God Damn Duck and wrong.

If any of you Red Cross people out there are reading this, you'll never get another dime from me.

Ms. Eykelenboom agrees that the ICRC's actions raise some difficult questions for Canadians, but says the only way out of the Afghan war is for all sides to treat each other with more humanity, not less.

I think our side has shown it is treating the Taliban very humanely, except for the few bad apples that have tortured and whatnot.
The Taliban follow no such rules.  They behead civilians and kill their own. If the Taliban were following the Geneva convention, I'd understand...but they don't.

That being said:

FastEddy said:
It all makes perfectly good sense. Treat, Train and supply the Taliban injured or other wise.

Therefore, in doing this we are enabling their return to a Combat roll, just to remind you IED's. RPG's, Mortar and Rocket Attacks and the ever so popular Suicide Bombers.

Sounds like a good plan. Now when they come begging for their annual contribution funds.
I guess you could almost say, we are enabling them to Attack and Kill us by our contributions.
Now I know there you that will say, this is the wrong way to look at this.

Regardless of all the High Fluting Legal and Moral Crap, I'm sorry, If it Quacks like a Duck, Waddles like a Duke, looks like a Duck. You can call it what ever you want. But to me its a God Damn Duck and wrong.

If any of you Red Cross people out there are reading this, you'll never get another dime from me.

I agree with this.

Let's see now.  It doesn't place any real strain on an organization to remove the dead from the battlefield, but for every wounded soldier it takes four others out of the battle as care givers.  Then we have to look at the amount of people and resources it takes to give proper medical treatment and facilitate recovery.  The numbers increase as we move along the chain.  That is a real strain on our side.  So far it doesn't seem to have been on the Taliban.  Perhaps this is a underhanded way of putting an extra strain on their operations.

I'm OK with the Red Cross continuing to do this if their mandate is to ensure the saving of lives on ALL sides.  That said, at the local Red Cross branch, you can ask to have your donations earmarked - I'll continue my practice of donating to LOCAL programs only (in our city, breakfast clubs mostly) when people start pouring in $ for big Katrina-Haiti scale disasters.

TN2IC said:
Teach the Taliban first aid.. ISAF sniper dream!  ;D

Think about it folks?
It would be interesting to see how many Taliban medics wear the Red Cross/Crescent/Diamond - or how many vehicles it'll mark with same.

milnews.ca said:
It would be interesting to see how many Taliban medics wear the Red Cross/Crescent/Diamond - or how many vehicles it'll mark with same.

Kind of hard to operate as guerrilla fighters when you have a big F off arm band telling everyone you're providing medical support. Might as well use a big neon sign that says " TALIBAN INSURGENTS RIGHT HERE!"  ;D

...in one of the stories about this:
.... (Red Cross spokesman Christian Cardon) said the three-day courses also were an opportunity to show participants the need to abide by the Geneva Conventions that govern the conduct of war ....
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight....

Teaching First aid to the Civilians is still in a round about way helping the Taliban as that is where they go for help. How ever that being said I'm good with it. Teaching the Taliban direct is a different can of worms.

The Taliban have no regard for the Geneva convention as it doesn't fit in with the Koran, so hoping they will see this a acceptance of the Conventions is a pipe dream

Tank Troll said:
The Taliban have no regard for the Geneva convention as it doesn't fit in with the Koran
Have you even read the Koran?  Do you even realise what it says?  If you think that the Taliban really know what it says either, and if you think that they are applying its teachings correctly, then you are sadly mistaken. 

They have no regard for the Geneva convention for their own reasons.

Edit to add:
Chapter 2, Verse 190: "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors."  (emphasis added)
(Yes, this is from the Koran)

An ICRC statement said the organisation had provided basic training and first aid kits to about 70 members of the "armed opposition" last month.

The ICRC said that it had also provided training to civilians.

A spokesman said that the training had been going on for some time to ensure that everyone is treated humanely.

The spokesman said the ICRC's constitution stipulates that all parties harmed by warfare will be treated as fairly as possible.

He said that giving first aid training to armies and armed opposition groups was "routine" in other conflict areas of the world such as Sri Lanka.

The Red Cross has always done that (they did it in Viet Nam and a whole host of other conflicts also). I may not agree with it, but that's THEIR mandate, and in the long run, if they teach the civilians how better to take care of themselves, it achieves one our goals, no?

Do we, the "West" not treat injured Taliban on the battlefield? Personal excesses aside, I think the ICRC try to maintain a neutral distance from either side....

One wonders if they have a module that explains "When you throw acid on school girls' faces, you must immediately conduct a scene survey and state "I am a first aider, do you need assistance?""

atifa_bibi_acid.jpg

But the Red Cross isn't neutral; they've been excluding Israel from joining for years: http://www.wrmea.com/archives/december01/0112051.html

Technoviking said:
Have you even read the Koran?  Do you even realise what it says?  If you think that the Taliban really know what it says either, and if you think that they are applying its teachings correctly, then you are sadly mistaken. 

They have no regard for the Geneva convention for their own reasons.

Edit to add:
Chapter 2, Verse 190: "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loves not transgressors."  (emphasis added)
(Yes, this is from the Koran)

Yes I have read the koran that is why I said it doesn't fit with it's teachings. Not all of the taliban are illiterate allot of them are educated some of them Highly educated

But yes they mostly have no reguard for the Geneva convetions for their own reasons

Tank Troll said:
Yes I have read the Koran, that is why I said it doesn't fit with its teachings.  Not all of the Taliban are illiterate, alot of them are educated; some of them are highly educated.
There, fixed up your attempt to fool me into thinking that you were illiterate.  >:D

Anyway, don't confuse the Taliban and Islam.  Islam, Christianity and Judaism are collectively known as Abrahamic religions, with very similar morals.  Make Jesus human in Christianity, and you basically have Islam (with some other details thrown in).

Back