• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recon 3690 on US personal purchase kit, split from Re: Polishing Brass

Recon 3690

Reaction score
Yah they cheap out on the materials Sgt majors still want shiney shiney. Same with the boots thats why they hated the CADPAT boots, no polish needed. The spit & polish, everybody has to look the same parade ground mentality is alive & well. Both UK MOD & US DOD aprove private purchase gear for use by their troops in the field.

Recon 3690 said:
US DOD aprove private purchase gear for use by their troops in the field.

Its not all that "private" since they have to be from aproved models sold at the PX/NEX/MCEX.

No they have aproval for Spec-ops, Blackhawk, Tactical Tailor, Altama, Bates, Lowe Alpine, Wiggy's etc., etc. all you have to do is check out the sites authorised items have GSA emblems or numbers. Any item that has this number is approved. If a unit command purchases an item for issue to their unit DOD issues a GSA # for that item & sometimes even a NSN #. Any individual can purchase and use such item. NB: some items might have additional restrictions such as Force authority USA, USMC, USN, or USAF ie. boots

brown or black jump boots are no longer approved footware but the new Corcoran tan suede jump boots are.

Thanks, more than I ever needed or wanted to know about the fascinating world of American footwear.  What's the skinny on hats and gloves?

there are GSA numbers for a lot of gloves ie. Hatch or Blackhawk, but no restrictions that I know of for gloves, head gear is ARPAT Boonies, BDU patrol caps, [LWH, ACH, or MICH helmets with ARPAT cover] in the field, Black Beret in garrison. 

Recon 3690 said:
Both UK MOD & US DOD aprove private purchase gear for use by their troops in the field.

Umm, the UK's MOD does not approve specific private purchase gear.  They are just not anal about everyone looking the same, and you will get the piss ripped out of you if you show up with something stupid.

Thanks I was not clear on specifics for UK only that private purchase was allowed

Back