• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Leather Jacket (merged discussion and mocking)

ballz said:
"What's in a name? that which we call "coveralls"
By any other name would look just as horrible with CANEX leather jacket" or something like that...

Honestly, why is it so offensive to refer to it as coveralls? I've worked many a job where I wore something that looked like a 'flight suit' but we called them coveralls. What is so offensive about that, exactly? I just Googled it and half the company's that make them refer to them as "flyer's coveralls."

Oranges vs Oranges?

The 1 CAD Orders, Wing Dress Instructions, etc refer to them as flying suits or flight suits.   

When I wore a black beret, a "crew suit" and "coveralls" were both technically coveralls, but had a definite distinction in which was which.

bigzoomie said:
3. Cap badge. Not sure what it is (Log maybe?) but it sure isn't Air Ops. Must've just grabbed the first wedge they found in the costume box and flopped it on his melon.

I thought it look a little like a PA badge.

Let's just call them specialized coveralls and be done with it. :argument:

Dimsum said:
Last time I was in KAF, I half-joked about getting the guy on the boardwalk to make those jackets for $100 and selling them for $150

You could have had them made from cat fur as well.

Dimsum said:
If the jacket wasn't $400 or more, since the USAF and others manage to have jackets sell to the public for $250, and if it didn't *seem* like the design was just plucked out of a Sears catalog vice a recognizable "flying jacket" pattern
USAF jacket quality has gone downhill lately - I've seen the "leather" flaking off a 2 year old jacket.  Also - squadrons purchase these jackets for their members.  These jackets are also mass produced - so of course the price point is lower.  The RCAF jacket is manufactured specifically for us - so we're going to pay a little more.

Jim Seggie said:
I bet the model in the photo isn't even RCAF. Plus he needs a haircut.

See how quickly you contradicted yourself there?  8)

Ditch said:
USAF jacket quality has gone downhill lately - I've seen the "leather" flaking off a 2 year old jacket.  Also - squadrons purchase these jackets for their members.  These jackets are also mass produced - so of course the price point is lower.  The RCAF jacket is manufactured specifically for us - so we're going to pay a little more.

Fair enough.  I do remember someone (maybe you?) mentioning that a USAF sqn pays for everything, incl. pens, travel, etc. 

Jim and Brian, I was thinking of getting a haircut while on leave.  You guys just convinced me not to ;)

Dimsum said:
Jim and Brian, I was thinking of getting a haircut while on leave.  You guys just convinced me not to ;)

Which one were you thinking of cutting? ;D

Dimsum said:
I do remember someone (maybe you?) mentioning that a USAF sqn pays for everything, incl. pens, travel, etc. 
Aye, that sounds like something I would say.  Let me clarify - while the member does pay for his/her dress uniform and initial issue of ACU's, boots etc.  The Squadron can also use their "RA" budget to purchase operational gear for their members (to include flight suits, boots, leather jackets) plus all the day to day sundry items needed to run a 400 man unit (toner, paper, pens, desks, chairs, etc).  At my current Sqn, once a member attains CMR status (Combat Mission Ready) he/she adds their name to the leather jacket list - outlining their size and CMR date.  When the budget allows, they purchase jackets and issue them out to the member in the order of which they got CMR.  I'm pretty sure I could add my name to the list - as the Airmen have already asked what size I am - I won't though, lots of deserving (and poor) Airmen out there.

Privateer said:
... compensation includes cool new leather jacket...

LMAO!
That jacket looks hideous, IMO. :))
Why can't they have RAF or USN style jackets?

Although, when the RCN had its own air arm in the 1960s, they did use USN leather jackets for their aircrew. Which, AFAIK is the only Canadian use of leather flying jackets unless you go back to WWII and count the bomber crew style leather jackets.

So really, the USN style jacket is the traditional Canadian Leather Jacket....

Journeyman said:
Because this isn't the RAF or USN.
Of course, it is apparently better to look foreign than to have something like a wrong service.  So, that suggestion should be all good ... Right?

Traditional Irvin jackets:

http://www.flying-jacket.com/jacket-category.aspx?id=1

http://www.aceshighjackets.com/

http://www.iwmshop.org.uk/product/18893/RAF_Irvin_Flying_Jacket

The current RAF leather jacket:

http://www.flying-jacket.com/product-details.aspx?id=20

This is me chuckling quietly to myself on how this managed to become another "RCAF aircrew leather jacket" thread. 

^-^

ETA:  If you look at the "Current RAF Jacket" link that Loachman put up, it's the same (or very, very similar) to the RCAF jacket but in blue.  The RCAF jacket is dark brown.

That new RCAF jacket would be right at home outside a Romanian dance club.

To be honest, I didn't give the jacket much thought either and dismissed it after seeing the "ad".

I then went to the Canex for an unrelated pit-stop and they had the demo going. It changed my mind. The jacket is actually a dark "chocolatey" brown and doesn't have near the shine of the one in the ad. I also think the shine that is will quickly go away once you wear it.

It's actually made by Thinsulate and has a removable liner for those in Winnipeg  ;D

Overpriced? Hell yeah. As bad as everyone makes it out to be? Not at all

SeaKingTacco said:
Although, when the RCN had its own air arm in the 1960s, they did use USN leather jackets for their aircrew. Which, AFAIK is the only Canadian use of leather flying jackets unless you go back to WWII and count the bomber crew style leather jackets.

So really, the USN style jacket is the traditional Canadian Leather Jacket....

SKT nailed it. Here's a RCN G1, based on the classic USN G1.

RCN Flight Jacket 1.jpg

RCN Flight Jacket 2.jpg

RCN Flight Jacket 4.jpg

Put this jacket into service and there'll be line ups into the CANEX parking lot.  ;D

B-but....there's no place to put the rank slides!  How will people know who to salute and stand back in awe of while walking down the street?! 

:sarcasm:

In fairness, it's a nice jacket.  Maybe someone will bring that up as an Option B when CANEX starts realizing that less people are lining up for the current one  :nod:

Back