• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Psoriasis

Thaedes

Inactive
Reaction score
Was just curious, whats the Forces take on Psoriasis? For those that don‘t know, its a chronic skin condition wherein inflamation and shedding of the skin occurs. There is no cure, so medical treatments can be costly throughout the course of a year. Does the military cover such medical spending? Will they even except you in if you have it?

Thanks

When I was in Meaford they were in the process of discharging a guy because he developed the condition. He tried to fight the discharge but I don‘t believe he won. Based on this case I don‘t think they will take someone with this condition but I don‘t know for sure, they said it was because of over seas duty or something like that.

I‘ve heard similar stories. I‘ve also heard from a lot of guys who have it, that the best way to go about it is not to bring it up at all to the medical staff when being checked up in the intial testing.

If its under control, no one will notice. And really, there is no valid reason that I can see to discriminate against someone who has a condition that does not effect his or her ability to perform in a physical or mental capacity.

Jeeze I hope it is not a problem. I have it on my elbows and a little on my arms, and on my head a bit (but they call it dandriff when its up there). I have a cream to put on it but I don‘t even bother because it is more hastle to apply the cream, then to just ignore it. It does not bother me, so I never even thought it could pose a problem (although I‘ll probably look a little funny once I get my head shaved, and its all red)...

In regard to Psoriasis and the CF. I know from experience, the CF will not accept you as a recruit. I know I was turned away at the medical, for the reg‘s back in the 80‘s.
Reason was if your condition flares up while on manouvres, you become a casualty, the CF wants to keep them to a minimum..They do not want to be taking care of you when they should be taking care of other more serious casualties in the field.
C‘est la vie :eek:

Reason was if your condition flares up while on manouvres, you become a casualty
Interesting, I fail - again - to see how you become a casualty. It literally takes months for my own psoriasis to flare up, and thats when not using any medication. Though I realize this isn‘t always the case for all individuals.

Did you eventually get in Norm? I know my psoriasis like the back of my hand, and know that it wouldnt pose a problem. Whats the best course of action do you think? Not informing them?

nbk - psoriasis of the scalp is not dandruff. Dandruff is caused by a ph imbalance in the scalp and is easily treated with shampoo or even vinegar.

Psoriasis is a far more serious disease related to the human immune system. The major reason that the military wont accept recruits with psoriasis I‘m sure has to do with the distinct possibility (up to 30%) of developing and associated form of arthritis. So yes Thades there is a reason to discriminate, here‘s a quote from psoriasis.org:
You may be tempted to "work through the pain" of psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, but overdoing it can trigger exhaustion, and potentially worsen the flare. Instead, set priorities and pace yourself. List your tasks in order of importance, and do the most important ones while you feel strongest and most energetic.
This seems like it may cause problems. Unfortunatly even though there are mild cases of the disease there is no way to ensure that they wont get worse and I don‘t think the military is willing to take the chance.

Sorry guys.

No that is bull****. They can‘t not accept me just because of this. Its such a non issue for me, I don‘t even think about it. If I go out through training and out in the field and I don‘t cut it, then they have the right to tell me to take a hike, but they have to at least give me a chance....they can‘t just prevent me from joining right off the bat for such a stupid reason.

Frankly I‘m not worried, my psoriasis is not even noticable to the eye.

E-town, thanks for trying to be informative. At least giving us the perspective of the Military‘s.

I will not, however, allow this to impede me in any way shape or form from joining the forces. I will see first hand how well the other guys, who don‘t have it, perform in PT and on exams. They‘re going to have a hard time keeping up with me.

Thaedes - I admire your determination. Good luck and I hope you make it.

nbk - Grow up. The military can reject you for any preexisting medical condition that they feel can become a physical or financial burden. It is their decision to make. It is not bull****. That‘s just the way it is. If you don‘t like it you can always appeal the decision (if and when it is made). Whining about it just makes me not like you. So take a note from Thaedes and suck it up princess.
:evil:

By the way I believe it was also because the person in question psoriasis reacted to the CLP use in oiling the weapons, his case was very minor indeed but they still released him.
And but the way, when I first joined they almost didn‘t take me because my family has a history of high cholosterol so they can decline you for just about anything they want sory.
:(

Re: Did you eventually get in Norm? I know my psoriasis like the back of my hand, and know that it wouldnt pose a problem. Whats the best course of action do you think? Not informing them?

Did I get In???...No I did not...But thats water under the bridge.

If you do not come straight with MO who does the physical and they(CF) can prove it as a pre-existing condition.. your caboose is cooked man...
You can loose out on medical benefit etc.

You see Psoriasis can also be set off by stress.. in combat, you are under stress... psychological stress, the stuff that pumps you up can also flare up the Psoriasis...and effectively tie you and several others members who could be out there helping the platoon/coy etc. So if Psoriasis is there be very certain they are aware of it... Combat is NOT where they are going to want you to be...

Question, and I will try not to sound like I am whining:

What is the CF policy on Seborrheic Dermatitis? My dermatoligist said this is what I have, and it sounds a lot more likely then Psoriasis, because I don‘t have arthritis, flare ups, or any injuries or anything else that would make a problem in my CF career.

And if you loose your medical benefits, can you join up without the benefits? If I got injured in a combat zone, I could just tell the medic to look at someone else first, and disregard whatever the **** slight skin discoloration I have. Because that is all it is, just a discolouration, nothing more serious.

Sometimes for medical questions, you just have to phone the medical section of the CFRC.

Does anyone know if they are the same way for psoriasis as they are for eczema because they are such similar conditions??

Mike_NavRes said:
Does anyone know if they are the same way for psoriasis as they are for eczema because they are such similar conditions??

Psoriasis and Eczema are two very different things.

Eczema is a skin condition that causes intense itching and then a red, raised rash.

Psoriasis (even though it appears as a skin condition) has been found to cause problems with the immune system. With psoriasis the B cell actually creates antibodies that kill and damage healthy skin cells. The T cell starts to over produce cytokines,which turns off a signal that regulates skin growth. So it's actually more of an autoimmune disease and I'd reckon that's why people with it aren't allowed in the us army, if that is in fact the case.

I just know the medical stuff behind it... I don't know what weight it has on the selection process.

Hi,

I searched the net and this site for information regarding the recruiting policy on a chronic skin condition that is called psoriasis. My case is of the light type where I only have it in patches on my scalp as well as on a few little patches on my elbows. Sometimes however when I have a flare up my condition is very visible with short hair and my elbow skin is frail (graze against something and skin will split and bleed) With occasional topical medication I keep it under control (salicylic acid and calcipatriol combo) . The position I want to apply for is infantry. Is there any medic out there who can tell me if this is at all a go for the forces or an automatic bar? I had a Royal Marines package once and the med pamphlet that came along stated psoriasis and other chronic skin conditions are not accepted.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive response. :)

Thank You

Joining reg force? Not too sure about that exactly, but for reserves i have a private in my section who just completed BMQ with the same condition.  My unit is an infantry reserve unit. But i would definitely ask before bothering with the whole application process just to be turned down at the medical.

Looking at the CFP 154 (CF Medical Standards), there is room for concern if it covers a Body Surface Area greater than 18%, problems with psoriatic arthritis or other joint problems, early onset, or have had to take systeic medications/had problems with those meds.  Unless you've had those sorts of problems, you shouldn't have a problem.

MM

Back