• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Profs say students lack maturity, feel entitled

PMedMoe said:
Oppositional Defiance Disorder??  Give me a freakin' break!  ::)
Boy, can I tell you some stories!
Seems like everyone is diagnosed as something today ::) I have issues with lazy kids; can I get an IEP for that?

Think ODD doesn't exist? Spend an afternoon with my oldest, then you'll need a break.  ::) back atcha.

Kat Stevens said:
Think ODD doesn't exist? Spend an afternoon with my oldest, then you'll need a break.

Sorry, I gave up babysitting a long time ago.  ;)

The problem with many authority challenged people is that they are used to authority caving in to their demands which just reinforces their behavior the next time. Doesn't matter the age. It's always learned behavior, at least in most cases.

What the majority of them need is to be taken down a few pegs with a good old fashioned shit kicking. In the case of minors a trip to the woodshed on a regular basis wouldn't hurt.

All we have to do is get the touchy feely, new wave, left leaning meddlers to mind their friggin' business when our behavior modification is being practiced.

My  :2c:

Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job
Article Link

A recent college graduate is suing her alma mater for $72,000 -- the full cost of her tuition and then some -- because she cannot find a job.

Trina Thompson, 27, of the Bronx, graduated from New York's Monroe College in April with a bachelor of business administration degree in information technology.

On July 24, she filed suit against the college in Bronx Supreme Court, alleging that Monroe's "Office of Career Advancement did not help me with a full-time job placement. I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

The college responded that it offers job-search support to all its students.

In her complaint, Thompson says she seeks $70,000 in reimbursement for her tuition and $2,000 to compensate for the stress of her three-month job search.

As Thompson sees it, any reasonable employer would pounce on an applicant with her academic credentials, which include a 2.7 grade-point average and a solid attendance record. But Monroe's career-services department has put forth insufficient effort to help her secure employment, she claims.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

More on link

If this isn't a sense of entitlement then I don't know what is... someone needs to inform her we are in a recession.

Here is a link with a retort to this story which includes some interesting comments Suing Her College Because She Can't Find Work?! Allow Me to Retort!

JBoyd said:
Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job
Article Link

Good Grief!!!  This girl is not using her head; she really needs to re-think life and how things work on planet earth.

Three months?  Wow.  :eek:  She's probably applying for jobs way above her training level.

A 2.7 GPA, not exactly something to write home about.  Brings to mind a comment from Resumania (see Bad spelling = No job thread):

"EDUCATIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS: Maintained a 2.0 GPA."
We can't "C" why you highlighted this fact.  ;)

Wonderful! Do I now need to keep counsel on retainer?
Oh wait, they don't pay to come to high school. Better sue the go'vt  ::)

On a side note, based on some conversations at work, we are starting to see this pop up in the teaching world. Expecting to get a job, get the courses they want to teach, other people's resources...you get the point.

PMedMoe said:
A 2.7 GPA, not exactly something to write home about. 

I was thinking the same - you can follow the code of "C's get degrees" all you want, but it doesnt help you get a job in a tight market when employers are picking the best available...

Just out of curiosity (and not really wanting to work), I googled Monroe College as they are one of those (too) often advertised on TV.  Here's the link for the Bachelor Degree Program for IT.

"They're supposed to say, 'I got this student, her attendance is good, her GPA is all right -- can you interview this person?' They're not doing that," she said.

No, Trina, according to their website:

Every student at Monroe College has a Career Advisor, who provides one-on-one assistance with career decision-making, resume and letter writing,  and job search strategies.  The Office of Career Advancement helps with career assessment, resume writing, job search and strategy, employer recruitment and placement, interviewing skills, and other job search guidance.

Besides, even if you get the interview, it's not a guarantee to getting hired.

I haven't read the 10 pages of this thread (I promise I will, hopefully the power doesn't go out during this storm before I finish ;D), but has anyone considered the fact that more and more jobs require a High School diploma, or a College degree, or a Graduate degree, than did before?

Perhaps the quality of the education is lessened because the requirements are lessened because the needs have not lessened but the eligible pupil list has?

Neo Cortex said:
I haven't read the 10 pages of this thread (I promise I will, hopefully the power doesn't go out during this storm before I finish ;D), but has anyone considered the fact that more and more jobs require a High School diploma, or a College degree, or a Graduate degree, than did before?

Perhaps the quality of the education is lessened because the requirements are lessened because the needs have not lessened but the eligible pupil list has?

I don't think I'm following you here.

Are you saying that elitism is less prevalent because there are more elites?

Roy Harding said:
I don't think I'm following you here.

Are you saying that elitism is less prevalent because there are more elites?

Sorry, I'll try and rephrase.

If 20 years ago, you only needed a High School diploma to be a Prison Guard, and there were 100,000 HSD holders, that means 100,000 eligible people for that position.

If, arbitrarily, to "keep up with the times" they suddenly require a 4-year degree, and there are only 20,000 4-year degree holders, you've just cut the eligible population by 80%.

Now, if the demand for Prison Guards doesn't go down, but the amount of people available to fill them does, you may push people through that level of education faster or with lower standards in order to keep up the pool of available applicants.

While it might not work for an isolated career, if there's a society-wide trend towards requiring a certain level of education we might see a society-wide decline in the quality of those obtaining it, for the reasons I stated above.

OK - I think I've got the gist.

What you're saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong), basically - is that an undergrad degree is worth what a high school diploma used to be worth.  Because of societal pressures regarding educational levels - those required levels have been increased, at the same time the actual worth of those levels has been decreased.

I just read that over - and it's not as crystal clear as I'd like it to be.  Forgive me - long day, now drawing to a close.

Neo Cortex said:

This is true and pretty much has been true for the last 30 years, due to the increasing level of technology being used at organizations.  Its difficult to assess personal  experience on a case-by-case basis, and very time consuming, so HR processes emphasize credentials (usually based on the belief that a person with X level of education has X level of technological awareness, competence and experience). 

Another important reason for this is that more and more government departments and private organizations are undergoing HR 'risk mitigation' evaluations - job positions are evaluated to see what education, credentials, and qualifications a person should have in order to occupy that position, and if a person in that position doesnt have the required level, an organization is open to legal prosecution for having 'unqualified' persons in that position.

There are other reasons as well, but those are two big ones...

Roy Harding said:
OK - I think I've got the gist.

What you're saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong), basically - is that an undergrad degree is worth what a high school diploma used to be worth.  Because of societal pressures regarding educational levels - those required levels have been increased, at the same time the actual worth of those levels has been decreased.

I just read that over - and it's not as crystal clear as I'd like it to be.  Forgive me - long day, now drawing to a close.

Yeah, you've got it right :) Sorry, it's been a bit of a long day for me too!

Roy Harding said:

That would also be true...

So?  Would that make a Grade 12, Senior Matriculation Deploma from a Saskatchewan HS dated 1974 of more value/weight than a Bachelor of Economics, BA, Bachelor of PoliSci of 2009?  Is this to say that a 1974 HS Deploma from Saskatchewan was awarded to a more highly educated person than that of a person holding a current 2009 University Degree?

George Wallace said:
So?  Would that make a Grade 12, Senior Matriculation Deploma from a Saskatchewan HS dated 1974 of more value/weight than a Bachelor of Economics, BA, Bachelor of PoliSci of 2009?  Is this to say that a 1974 HS Deploma from Saskatchewan was awarded to a more highly educated person than that of a person holding a current 2009 University Degree?

This is my take on what is meant:

I'm quoting a Sociology professor-statistician (sp?) here, and according to her, the two things you compare Mr. Wallace would be of equal value but variable over time: "in today's world an undergraduate degree is valued, is a social expectation, in the same way a grade 12 high school diploma was valued 30 years ago."  The professor was using it in the context of warning first year students that without pairing up an undergraduate degree with a specialization/profession/trade, an undergraduate degree is not that valuable. She professed this bit of wisdom as a warning to entering students to choose a career path wisely and to point out that a university degree does not necessarily mean success or intelligence.

Anyway, I may be wrong but this is how I understood Neo Cortex and Mr. Harding and Greymatters.

George Wallace said:

The idea wasn't necessarily that it was worth more, but more that it's easier to obtain now because it's more expected that a person will have one.

As society shifts to requiring higher degrees, the standards will shift in order to accommodate the increased demand on the institutions from people who might not be as prepared for the education, but who have to obtain it anyway because their current credentials are of less use in a modern[izing] world.

Back