• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]

I know this can vary from year-to-year, but how many months per year/weeks per month are ships typically deployed?

You have your answer right in your question...it varies all the time. Depends on how much money is available, manpower etc etc etc

It varies from time to time, and it varies from ship to ship. In any given year, some ships will be going into drydock, so won't be sailing for quite a while, some ships will be getting out of drydock and will be ramping up, some ships will have finished ramping up, and will be high readiness, and likely be headed on some sort of tasking that requires a high-readiness ship (Such as a gulf deployment), and some ships may be shifting down from high readiness to standard readiness, and will be spending most of their sea time doing things like fisheries patrols.

In general, 1 - 2 ships per coast are typically sent on a 6 month deployment. If you're hoping to avoid said deployment, you might get lucky. If you're hoping to go on said deployment, well, try to tailor the ships that you're asking to be posted to based upon the OPSCHED of the ships in the fleet. Keep in mind for either case that you might just not get what you want.

Also, this will very likely change soon when the frigates come due for their mid-life refits. The number of ships we have available to send elsewhere will greatly decrease for a number of years.

I received a 6 figure retro pay spanning 5 years and had the tax adjusted retroactively using the T1198

This spread the income over a much lower tax bracket, but my RRSP limit was still calculated as if I received it all in 1 year

My last sea posting:

1st year - deployed 1 month.

2nd year - deployed 7 months.

3rd year - deploed 9 1/2 months.

Under normal circumstances, taxes are paid on income for the year in which it was received.  However, under certain circumstances, CRA will re-open your tax files and reassess your taxes for those years, thus not dinging you in a much higher tax bracket for the year you received it.  Please note though that the Pay Office can't help you with this.  You need to write a letter to CRA explaining the circumstances. 

This may affect a few people on this forum.

CANFORGEN 159/09 201743Z AUG 09
TAX RELIEF ISSUES
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 117/08
B. CFAO 203-3
C. SUPERVISORS AIDE: OVERPAYMENTS AND RECOVERIES - EXTENSION AUTHORITY

SECTION ONE - TAX RELIEF CORRECTIONS. IN 2007, CANADA REVENUE AGENCY (CRA) PROVIDED A CLARIFICATION TO DND ON THE SUBJECT OF TAX RELIEF FOR DEPLOYED MEMBERS. AS A RESULT OF THIS CLARIFICATION, CORRECTIONS WERE PROCESSED FOR MEMBERS WHO HAD BEEN GRANTED TAX RELIEF FOR THE 2007 TAX YEAR. THE CORRECTIONS REFLECTED CRA POLICY THAT THE TAX DEDUCTION AMOUNT RECORDED ON A MEMBER S T4 SLIP MUST CORRESPOND TO THE TAX YEAR THAT THE MEMBER WAS ON THE MISSION, AND NOT THE TAX YEAR THAT TAX RELIEF COMMENCED IN CCPS. THE DETAILS OF THE CORRECTIONS WERE RELEASED AT REF A. THE MESSAGE DIRECTED UNITS TO MAINTAIN RECORDS IN DEBIT BALANCE FOR THOSE MEMBERS WHOSE T4 S WERE BEING AMENDED, AND TO RECOVER DEBIT BALANCES FROM THOSE NO LONGER ENTITLED TO TAX RELIEF FOR RETROACTIVE PAYMENTS APPROVED AND INPUT INTO CCPS AFTER THE MEMBER S DEPARTURE FROM THEATRE

ALSO INCLUDED AT REF A, WAS INFORMATION REGARDING THE PROCESSING OF AMENDED T4 SLIPS BY CRA. TO DATE, CRA HAS NOT PROCESSED, AS A PROJECT, THE AMENDED ELECTRONIC SLIPS SUBMITTED BY DND AND ARE UNLIKELY TO DO SO IN THE NEAR FUTURE. TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF DEBIT BALANCES FOR SERVING MEMBERS, DMPAP WILL PROVIDE AMENDED T4 S DIRECTLY TO AFFECTED MEMBERS. A COVERING LETTER WILL BE PROVIDED ALONG WITH INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING HOW TO SUBMIT THE T4 FOR REASSESSMENT. A LIST WAS PROVIDED TO EACH PAY OFFICE IDENTIFYING MEMBERS WHO MAY EXPECT TO RECEIVE AN AMENDED T4. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT MEMBERS WHO FILE THEIR TAXES ELECTRONICALLY WITH CRA CAN REQUEST A REASSESSMENT ON LINE, INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR DMPAP TO ISSUE AN AMENDED T4

MEMBERS WHOSE ACCOUNTS WERE DEBITED AS THE RESULT OF THE NON-ENTITLEMENT TO TAX RELIEF ON BACK PAYMENTS SHOULD ALREADY HAVE PAID BACK THE DEBIT. UNITS THAT HAVE NOT YET COMMENCED RECOVERY ACTION ON THESE MEMBERS WILL COMMENCE RECOVERY ACTION ON RECEIPT OF THIS MESSAGE. PROCEDURES FOR APPROVAL OF EXTENDED RECOVERIES ARE DETAILED AT REFS B AND C

SECTION TWO - ADMIN DELAY - IMPACT ON TAX RELIEF. CRA S CURRENT POLICY ON TAX RELIEF HAS THREE MAIN CONDITIONS:

MEMBERS MUST ACTUALLY BE IN TAX RELIEF STATUS (I.E. DEPLOYED WITH ELIGIBLE OPERATIONS) IN ORDER TO BE ENTITLED TO THE TAX DEDUCTION

THE TAX DEDUCTION MUST APPEAR ON THE T4 OF THE YEAR FOR WHICH THE MEMBER WAS IN THEATRE, NOT WHEN IT WAS APPROVED IN CCPS AND

RETROACTIVE BENEFITS GRANTED AND PROCESSED AFTER THE MEMBERS TOUR ENDS (SUCH AS RETROACTIVE PAY INCREASES) ARE NOT SUBJECT TO TAX RELIEF AS THE ENTITLEMENT DID NOT EXIST WHILE MEMBER WAS IN TAX RELIEF STATUS

WHILE THE CRA CLARIFICATION IS VERY LIMITING, DND HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN OBTAINING RECOGNITION OF THE DIFFICULTY IN COMPLETING ALL ADMIN WHILE THE MEMBER IS ACTUALLY IN THEATRE. THIS RECOGNITION WILL PROVIDE DND SOME LEEWAY IN PROCESSING BENEFITS WITHIN A REASONABLE TIMEFRAME. THIS WILL ALSO ENSURE THAT MEMBERS ARE NOT DENIED THEIR ENTITLEMENTS SOLELY DUE TO ADMIN DELAY. AS AN EXAMPLE, A MEMBER WHO WAS PROMOTED WHILE SO EMPLOYED WHILE ON DEPLOYMENT WOULD BE ENTITLED TO A TAX DEDUCTION ON THAT SALARY (SUBJECT TO THE MONTHLY CAP) EVEN IF THE PROMOTION COULD NOT BE ACTIONED IN HRMS UNTIL AFTER THE MEMBER S DEPARTURE FROM THEATRE. HOWEVER A MEMBER WHO, WHILE IN THEATRE, FILLED A HIGHER RANK POSITION IN HIS OR HER NORMAL RANK AND WHO, AFTER DEPARTURE FROM THEATRE, WAS RETROACTIVELY GRANTED THE ACTING PAY OF THAT HIGHER RANK, WOULD NOT BE ENTITLED TO A TAX DEDUCTION ON THE BACKPAY. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE TWO CASES RESTS ON THE FACT THAT IN THE FIRST CASE THE ENTITLEMENT WAS APPROVED WHILE IN TAX RELIEF STATUS AND THE DELAY WAS ADMIN IN NATURE. IN THE SECOND CASE, THE RAISE WAS APPROVED AT A TIME WHEN THE MEMBER WAS NOT IN TAX RELIEF STATUS, THEREFORE AN ENTITLEMENT TO THE TAX DEDUCTION DOES NOT EXIST

THE DECISION TO GRANT THE TAX DEDUCTION DESPITE AN ADMIN DELAY WILL BE ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS. AS SUCH, CCPS WILL NOT BE REPROGRAMMED TO AUTOMATICALLY PROCESS THE NECESSARY TRANSACTIONS. WHEN A UNIT BELIEVES AN ENTITLEMENT EXISTS, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES SHALL BE FOLLOWED BY THE ACCOUNTING OFFICER:

AN OBSERVATION WILL BE RAISED TO THE APPROPRIATE REGIONAL HELP DESK AT DMPAP

AN EXPLANATION DETAILING THE DELAY IN PROCESSING THE ENTITLEMENT WILL BE PROVIDED AND

SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION CONFIRMING THAT THE ENTITLEMENT WAS KNOWN WHILE THE MEMBER WAS IN TAX RELIEF STATUS WILL BE ATTACHED OR FAXED

ONCE DMPAP HAS VERIFIED THAT AN ENTITLEMENT TO A TAX DEDUCTION EXISTS, CORRECTIVE ACTION WILL BE TAKEN IN CCPS. IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT CORRECTIVE ACTION WILL BE LIMITED TO ENSURING THAT THE TAX DEDUCTION AMOUNT WILL BE REFLECTED ON MBR S T4. DMPAP WILL NOT CREDIT TAXES FOR SUCH CASES THROUGH THE MEMBER S PAY ACCOUNT. CRA/RQ WILL REIMBURSE THE MEMBER WHEN THE ANNUAL TAX RETURN IS PROCESSED, PROVIDING THAT THE MEMBER DOES NOT OWE CRA/RQ FOR OTHER REASONS. WHEN AN ADMIN DELAY RESULTS IN A CORRECTIVE ACTION BEING TAKEN IN A TAX YEAR DIFFERENT FROM THE ORIGINAL ENTITLEMENT, THE TAX DEDUCTION AMOUNT WILL APPEAR ON THE T4/R1 OF THE YEAR THE CORRECTIVE ACTION IS TAKEN. THIS IS THE ONLY EXCEPTION TO THE RULE REQUIRING THAT THE TAX DEDUCTION BE APPLIED TO THE YEAR WHEN THE MEMBER IS IN A TAX RELIEF SITUATION

SECTION THREE - TAX RELIEF ON POSTING ALLOWANCE. FROM TIME TO TIME MEMBERS POSTED DURING THEIR TOUR WILL ACTUALLY MOVE THEIR FAMILIES WHILE STILL DEPLOYED. IN SUCH A CASE, THERE MAY BE AN ENTITLEMENT TO A TAX DEDUCTION ON A PORTION OF THE MEMBER S POSTING ALLOWANCE. IN THIS CASE, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES SHALL BE FOLLOWED:

THE ACCOUNTING OFFICER WILL RAISE AN OBSERVATION TO THE APPROPRIATE REGIONAL HELP DESK AT DMPAP

DMPAP WILL PROVIDE THE UNIT WITH THE AMOUNT OF ROOM AVAILABLE UNDER THE MEMBER S MONTHLY CAP

THE ACCOUNTING OFFICER WILL PROVIDE THE INFORMATION TO THE MEMBER AND

THE MEMBER WILL FORWARD THE INFORMATION TO IRP FOR INCLUSION ON THE T4/RELEVE 1 ISSUED BY THAT ORGANIZATION. THE TAX DEDUCTION WILL NOT BE REIMBURSED BY IRP

THE NUMBER OF MEMBERS AFFECTED BY THE LATTER SITUATION WILL BE RELATIVELY SMALL. FIRST, MOST MEMBERS USE THEIR POSTING ALLOWANCE FOR INTEREST BUYDOWN PURPOSE, WHICH MEANS THE AMOUNT IS ALREADY TAX EXEMPT. SECOND, IT ONLY APPLIES TO THE PORTION OF THE ALLOWANCE THAT IS UNDER THE MONTHLY CAP, SO A MEMBER WHOSE TOTAL PAY AND TAXABLE ALLOWANCES EXCEED THE SALARY OF A CF CWO WILL NOT HAVE ROOM LEFT AGAINST WHICH TO APPLY THE TAX DEDUCTION

QUESTIONS REGARDING THE ABOVE MENTIONED DIRECTIVES MAY BE ADDRESSED TO DMPAP MIL PAY REGIONAL HELP DESKS, BY PAY OFFICES

So.....some will get some money back, and some will have to pay extra to correct this error.... this will probably have some pretty heavy implications for some...

Ive read this a few times and I'm still having trouble absorbing the info...

MEMBERS MUST ACTUALLY BE IN TAX RELIEF STATUS (I.E. DEPLOYED WITH ELIGIBLE OPERATIONS) IN ORDER TO BE ENTITLED TO THE TAX DEDUCTION

OK, so first a no brain-er, you can't be given the tax relief status for being deployed unless you are deployed.

THE TAX DEDUCTION MUST APPEAR ON THE T4 OF THE YEAR FOR WHICH THE MEMBER WAS IN THEATRE, NOT WHEN IT WAS APPROVED IN CCPS AND

Again, a no brain-er, the tax relief goes on the T4 of the year you received it

RETROACTIVE BENEFITS GRANTED AND PROCESSED AFTER THE MEMBERS TOUR ENDS (SUCH AS RETROACTIVE PAY INCREASES) ARE NOT SUBJECT TO TAX RELIEF AS THE ENTITLEMENT DID NOT EXIST WHILE MEMBER WAS IN TAX RELIEF STATUS

so assuming one was on a mission from April to October, a raise gets approved for April, but it doesn't get actioned until December; are they claiming that although it was approved by the treasury board before April during your mission, because it wasn't applied while in theater you still pay full tax on your retro?

not that it's a whole lot I suppose but it still confuses me because they don't specify who's approval is required to show that you have entitlement to tax relief.

c_canuk said:
so assuming one was on a mission from April to October, a raise gets approved for April, but it doesn't get actioned until December; are they claiming that although it was approved by the treasury board before April during your mission, because it wasn't applied while in theater you still pay full tax on your retro?

Depends on why it wasn't applied until Dec.  If it was actually approved prior or while you were in theatre and not actioned due to an admin delay then it could qualify for tax relief.  If it was approved in Nov with an effective date of 1 Apr then you will pay full tax.  The approval for tax relief is them - CRA.

Hatchet Man said:
Not mention there is also this very nifty site called "google".  Its like using the search function here, but it searchs other websites, based on things called "keywords", its quite ingenious actually.  I typed in "Canadian Forces Pay Scale" and right near the top was this link http://www.forces.ca/html/payscales_en.aspx to what appears to be an official government site (that is probably kept updated regularly), plus it has some nifty little colourful graphs. >:D

I'm sorry Hatchet Man, but that quote kind of got under my skin.  I happened to be looking for the various IPC levels on a pay scale.  I googled pay scales 2009, and got the link your referencing.  Unfortunately, the link your referencing does not have what I wanted to find.  Incidentally, your referenced link has nothing to do with either DEO officers (which is what one of the members was looking for), or IPC levels.  Your condescending attitude is offensive, and perhaps you should do a little more reading into the information which is actually contained in the links you provide, so that you actually answer a relevant question accurately and politely.

cook647, time to cool your jets.  You'll need to learn that if you don't like someone's posting style, it may be best to ignore them.  Debate facts, point out that what he indicated didn't answer the question and move on. If you choose to debate people on their posting styles and attitudes you will end up locking horns with those who enjoy creating train wrecks just to be assholes about it and to spur your greater indignation. And that only wastes your time and energy, and leaves messes for the staff here to clean up.

kaspacanada said:
Last I saw, in the reg force you didn‘t get a hook until you‘d had a year after being trained.  The reserves work differently, or at least all the units I worked with and have seen did.
I checked the CFAOs 49-4 for Reg Force:  30 months qualifying time (needs QL 3)

CFAO 49-5 for Res Force:  a.    successful completion of General Military Training (GMT) (Recruit and Basic);  b.  successful completion of QL1 training as defined by CHQ; and  c.  attainment of six months service.

Do the recruitment allowances for much needed trades change as they come and so is there a list put out every month or when needed?

Regardless, I would like to know if the RegF Air Force is in desperate need of RMS Clerks.
I am a QL3 qualified one who has already VR'd with previous reserve experience.
I have been out of the service for 2 years now.
I read through CBI 205.525
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/205-eng.asp
Which explains this, but I don't know if RMS is needed that badly in RegF Air Force...
the allowance is very nice...

Does anyone know if I would be eligible?

Thanks.

IIRC, a CANFORGEN comes out, dictating what trades have a recruiting allowance and what the qualifications are to receive it.  Yes, the CF needs RMS clerks but there is no recruiting allowance for them.

You might get your BMQ and QL3 written off, but speak to a recruiter at a CFRC and I'm sure they'd be able to tell you more.

However, if the CF needs them and according to the CBI stated, I am skilled and I would be eligible...
As for the QL3 and BMQ - CFRC said they would have to wait until a PLAR is done and Ottawa has the final say in that.

rayduran said:
However, if the CF needs them and according to the CBI stated, I am skilled and I would be eligible..

Only if RMS Clerk was listed as an understrength trade.  Not to mention, each one has specific requirements.  For example only, you might only be eligible for an allowance if you are QL5 qualified.  The CBI also states:

the non-commissioned member must have previously served in the Canadian Forces, but not have served in the Regular Force at any time during the three-year period prior to the date of enrolment or transfer

So if you got out two years ago, you wouldn't qualify.  (Edit to add:  My mistake, I missed the Reserve part of the first post).

Seriously, don't read so much into the CBI.  I doubt that RMS will get a recruiting allowance any time soon.

A former RMS Clk should know not to try twisting regulations to suit themselves.

I rather doubt (although I am not in a position to KNOW) the CF is paying any kind of bonus for RMS Clks.

You state you have previous Reserve experience, and accomplished your QL3.  That's good, and it'll hold you in good stead, but it is a VERY basic qualification.  It enables you to know what  CBIs, DAODs, CFAOs, QR&Os, and other publications ARE, and how to look things up in them - period.

As a retired RMS Clk, I notice when the abbreviation "RMS" is mentioned.  Consequently, I've read a few of your posts over the past few minutes.  You seem to be fixated on the idea of being an "Air Force" RMS Clk.  Disabuse yourself of this notion.  RMS is a "purple" trade - you're liable to serve in all three elements.

This is not to say you may not serve exclusively in the Air Force - I know some that have.  Personally, I spent my entire career with field units - with the exception of one two year posting to an Air Force Squadron, and one 2 year posting to a HQ (although that time included a fairly lengthy deployment to Bosnia, so I sometimes refer to it as a year long posting).  And that was what I wanted.

I was lucky in my choices and my time of service.  At the time I served, RMS Clks who WANTED to serve in field units were fairly rare - so the Career Manager was usually able to acquiesce to my desires.  Such wasn't (and imagine still isn't) always the case for those desiring Air Force or static postings.

Many of your questions (here and on other threads) can only be answered by a CFRC.  Go to one.  Let us know how you make out. 

Oh - and READ a lot more here, try the search function - which can be accessed here: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php?action=search .  The "Search Box" at the top of your screen will search ONLY the thread you are currently in.

Back