• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PAY RAISE HELD BACK UNTIL MID APR PAY -- CANFORGEN ATTACHED

A lot of it may have to do with the province you're in as well.  In British Columbia, according to the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act:

116 (1) A collector must not communicate or attempt to communicate with a debtor at the debtor's place of employment unless

(a) the collector does not have the home address or telephone number for the debtor and the collector contacts the debtor solely for the purpose of requesting the debtor's home address or telephone number or both,

(b) the collector has attempted to contact the debtor at the debtor's home address or telephone number, but the collector has not contacted the debtor in any of those attempts, or

(c) the collector has been authorized by the debtor to communicate with the debtor at the debtor's place of employment.

(2) The collector must not make more than one verbal attempt, under subsection (1) (b), to contact the debtor at the debtor's place of employment.

Here is the full reference:

http://www.leg.bc.ca/37th5th/1st_read/gov02-1-pt07.htm#part07-div01

-Ryan

Keep in mind, that the creditor/collections people know this, but most others don't.  They also know that by calling the place of employment and talking to the "Top Guy", that chances are someone is going to pay the bill.  Especially in the military, as it becomes a huge administrative headache for the member.

Nice topic!  Most of the information on Credit Collections are correct, but they do vary from province to province.  I used to receive calls from these companies on a somewhat regular basis (not for myself of course) looking for information on military pers.  They are very "slick" in there dealings and know exactly what to say and how to say it.  As far as I was concerned, this was an issue between the military member and the company concerned.  I used to confirm employment only, which in Ontario you can do and that was it.  I would then advise the mil person that these people were looking for them and to look after the matter before it escalated any further.

Most of the companies are okay to deal with, but some were a nuisance.  So much so, that I started to record the conversations that I use to have with the agents and then contact the company and speak with the area manager.  I had one case where one of my own soldiers were in debt and the agent called me at work.  "She" had a mouth on her like I have never heard before, not even from a seasoned soldier.  Needless to say, when I called her area manager back he denied that she had acted inappropriately, but then he knew they were busted when I played the tape back.  I even reported the company to the Government Consumer offices.  After that little episode, I only ever received calls from the manager directly and never one of the agents.

In the end, I counselled my soldier on how to handle the matter and it was looked after.

Settle your debt, before it becomes a court ordered payment!  You'll be much further ahead.

Back