• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Past CF and Canadian army uniforms

1911CoLt45

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day

I am looking for uniforms used by the Canadian army before the fusion of all three forces occurred.  My grandfather was in the Royal Canadian service corp as a lieutenant.  I remember seeing pictures of him in the British style #1 dress with the red sash and all.  I was wondering if there are any books or sources of information on the past dress/combat uniforms of this time period.  So pre 1968 I believe. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

:cdn:

1911CoLt45 said:
Good day

I am looking for uniforms used by the Canadian army before the fusion of all three forces occurred.  My grandfather was in the Royal Canadian service corp as a 1Lt.  I remember seeing pictures of him in the British style #1 dress with the red sash and all.  I was wondering if there are any books or sources of information on the past dress/combat uniforms of this time period.  So pre 1968 I believe. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

:cdn:

You may find this website of interest if your grandfather was in the RCASC:
http://rcasc.org/

There is a very good book on the Corps titled, "Wait for the Wagon". I have a copy if there is anything specific you would like me to look up.

You can now purchase an electronic copy from the Association:
http://rcasc.org/sp_msg.html#Book
"The Last wagon. the Final Story of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps" published in 2001.

This looks is an updated version of the book I have, which was published in 1961. 

Were you at the school in Borden at all back in the late 50's early 60's? As well  is the E2R the emblem for the RCASC?

1911CoLt45 said:
Were you at the school in Borden at all back in the late 50's early 60's? As well  is the E2R the emblem for the RCASC?

No, I was starting Kindergarden then! But, we were still wearing the 1949 pattern battledress with the blue, white and gold lanyard, RCASC hat badge and shoulder patch when I joined. I was 16. I didn't go to the School, as I was a Reservist. My military experience was pretty limited.

E II R is the Royal Cypher of Queen Elizabeth, and stands for "Elizabeth II Regina (Queen, in Latin)".

It was found on cap badges of those Corps and Units entitled to display it.

There is no "First Lieutenant" rank in the CF or Canadian Army before it, it is simply "Lieutenant".

Thanks Loachman.  My ignorance.
Grandpa would be rolling in his grave.

Back