• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Opportunity to update the CC-150 fleet?

Some of the lustre has gone off of treaties as it puts governing onto the band and puts a hard time limit on the money tap. The Nisga found out the hard way and now have to attract resource companies to make revenue.
Funny how you can’t bad mouth the resource industry for decades and then suddenly have them run to you when you have a change of heart…

Any way, back on topic…

Polaris to Husky………Discuss!
Still wondering where they will get the extra flight attendants, since they will need 8 per flight (according to the infographic) instead of 3.

Will the RCAF take a page from the RAAF and make flight attendant a full-fledged trade?

Still wondering where they will get the extra flight attendants, since they will need 8 per flight (according to the infographic) instead of 3.

Will the RCAF take a page from the RAAF and make flight attendant a full-fledged trade?

We could create a trade that manages hospitality functions... maybe the RCN could use some on board?

Hungry Gossip GIF by giphystudios2021

So: If we assume nine gets us six, and want 3 crews per active a/c, that's 8 x 6 x 3, or 144 total. Plenty of occupations are much smaller than that.

Of course, not all flights will transport pax - so the required number of crews may be materially less. Or we could grow the population and responsibilities of load masters to have greater oversight of self loading cargo :)

So: If we assume nine gets us six, and want 3 crews per active a/c, that's 8 x 6 x 3, or 144 total. Plenty of occupations are much smaller than that.

Of course, not all flights will transport pax - so the required number of crews may be materially less. Or we could grow the population and responsibilities of load masters to have greater oversight of self loading cargo :)
How many loadies have you met?

Any way, back on topic…

Polaris to Husky………Discuss!
Holy crap did we ever get off topic with this one, didn't we lads?

I mean there's the usual, almost inevitable 'Squirrel!'

But geez louis...

As for the actual topic, I'm amazed at how smoothly this replacement project actually went.

It seemed to go relatively seamlessly, with 5 aircraft being replaced by 9 newer aircraft - not only refreshing the fleet, but nearly doubling capacity.

Government certainly can get things done when they want to!
(Or the folks in this project management office just really knocked the ball out of the park!)

Begs the question of why we make our other procurement projects so expensive & delayed

But geez louis...

As for the actual topic, I'm amazed at how smoothly this replacement project actually went.

It seemed to go relatively seamlessly, with 5 aircraft being replaced by 9 newer aircraft - not only refreshing the fleet, but nearly doubling capacity.

(Or the folks in this project management office just really knocked the ball out of the park!)

Begs the question of why we make our other procurement projects so expensive & delayed
The project to replace the Wardair Airbus fleet has been ongoing for years. That it hit the news late doesn't mean that lots of background work wasn't already completed.

You already answered your own question. 😉

But geez louis...

Its funny how this high profile capability got the attention it deserved. Perhaps because his nibs and the minions that keep him in office finally got tired of travelling in the Nineties

The project to replace the Wardair Airbus fleet has been ongoing for years. That it hit the news late doesn't mean that lots of background work wasn't already completed.
I guess what i was trying to say was that I, for one, was pleasantly surprised when we decided to replace 5 aircraft with 9 newer & more capable aircraft!

I was expecting the 5 aircraft to be replaced by 5 aircraft...and to be honest it wouldn't have surprised me if they announced they'd be replacing that fleet with 4 planes instead...

9 was a nice change from the 'Do more with less' mantra

Right up there with Super Hercs, C17s and Chinooks. We could probably add in Griffons and Challengers.

I might be inclined to suggest that these are all transport projects but then I look at the Logistics Vehicle Modernization Project and the dog's breakfast it became. And of course there is no sea transport project.

The projects are all Air Force projects but then CF35, CC295, CH148 and CH149 and the Twin Otter Replacement.

Does anybody know if there is breakdown of the DND budget by capability that captures each of the systems individually? Something that would, for example, take the Super Hercs as a capital project and add in all the lifecycle costs (acquisition, operations, maintenance, personnel, disposal and replacement) and tracks that on an ongoing basis?

If the Department and the Auditors (Auditor General and PBO) as well as Treasury, have all decided that Life Cycle Costing is the way to go then it would seem logical to me that they would track those life cycle costs throughout the life of the platform. That then would describe the full Capability Cost represented by the platform.

The next Key Performance Indicator that I would be interested in is the percentage of the Annual Defence Budget that each Capability represents.

That would seem to me to be the most relevant way of comparing allocations rather than looking at an open-ended future and trying to assign a singular number to describe the cost of an individual capability.

Back