• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Majority Government 2022-2026

I'll be blunt, I don't think the the greenbelt scandal is really that big of a deal to most voters. As Jen Gerson from The Line summed it up, it's a story about rich people getting richer by scamming other rich people.... People struggling to make ends meet aren't going to get too worked up about it, particularly when the opposition has an equally bad reputation for scandal.
Does the opposition have an equally bad reputation? Are we talking the Libs or NDP. The McGuinty Liberals faced scrutiny over hidden emails something that Ford has far exceeded not including the whiff of payoffs.

But you are probably right I doubt that it will bring the Premier/Govt down or cost an election unless Ford was dumb enough to put it all in writing and even if he was. I know Silvio is not

Does the opposition have an equally bad reputation? Are we talking the Libs or NDP. The McGuinty Liberals faced scrutiny over hidden emails something that Ford has far exceeded not including the whiff of payoffs.

But you are probably right I doubt that it will bring the Premier/Govt down or cost an election unless Ford was dumb enough to put it all in writing and even if he was. I know Silvio is not
The LPO got voted out of goverment so hard they lost party status... People don't do that when they're just a bit tired of a party's foolishess after years of power. They haven't recovered in the polls either.

The NDP are polling lower than the LPC.

I think that Ford is like Trudeau, people who dislike him become blinded by the dislike, and fail to see that not everybody shares the same view of him.

An observation, because I'm seeing one aspect of the health care system - the biggest single expenditure component of the Ontario Government (https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontarios-finances):

1. The waiting rooms for both consults and treatments at The Ottawa Hospital's cancer centre get busier and busier each time I'm there - there are fewer and fewer free seats; demand is growing and it is inexorable - more people, more older people, more illness; BUT​
2. The supply of "helpers" - doctors, nurses, porters to move people around, and cleaners - is steady or even diminishing. I overheard a bit of conversation between two nurses about someone else who was leaving for a prestigious fencer clinic in the USA - both nurses seemed to agree that the person had made a good choice.​

This is not getting better. Some of the problem is structural - the Canada Health Act - and some is societal: we want more but we want to pay less.

"The truth is, the former Wynne Liberal government took land out of the Greenbelt at least 17 times and I don’t recall an uproar, a fuss or claims that paradise was being paved over for a parking lot."
Did the Liberals let their buddies buy up that land for discount rates then have them direct the government which land to release without any consideration as to what land should actually be released (i.e. environmental, farm land considerations, etc.)?

The issue isn’t giving up land in the green belt, it was HOW it was done. I voted for Ford, yet I expect better from any elected politician as this is simple corruption.

Pretending it isn’t bad because Ford Conservative and not Liberal shows extreme bias.

Did the Liberals let their buddies buy up that land for discount rates then have them direct the government which land to release without any consideration as to what land should actually be released (i.e. environmental, farm land considerations, etc.)?

The issue isn’t giving up land in the green belt, it was HOW it was done. I voted for Ford, yet I expect better from any elected politician as this is simple corruption.

Pretending it isn’t bad because Ford Conservative and not Liberal shows extreme bias.
Honestly, the issue isn't even the greenbelt swap itself, it's what the level of influence signals regarding this government's willingness to completely upend the applecart regarding municipal planning, zoning, and development over the last 10 months, and what it could mean for the remainder of their term

An observation, because I'm seeing one aspect of the health care system - the biggest single expenditure component of the Ontario Government (https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontarios-finances):

1. The waiting rooms for both consults and treatments at The Ottawa Hospital's cancer centre get busier and busier each time I'm there - there are fewer and fewer free seats; demand is growing and it is inexorable - more people, more older people, more illness; BUT​
2. The supply of "helpers" - doctors, nurses, porters to move people around, and cleaners - is steady or even diminishing. I overheard a bit of conversation between two nurses about someone else who was leaving for a prestigious fencer clinic in the USA - both nurses seemed to agree that the person had made a good choice.​

This is not getting better. Some of the problem is structural - the Canada Health Act - and some is societal: we want more but we want to pay less.

A family member of mine has been going through the ‘other’ cancer center in town - the Ottawa Hospital blood cancers clinic. Similar observations. Getting busier and busier and staff are badly stretched.

Are you really that naïve? Do you think they did it just because someone asked them to. Nothing comes for free. Especially from a Wynne liberal government.

Are you really that naïve? Do you think they did it just because someone asked them to. Nothing comes for free. Especially from a Wynne liberal government.
So your response to Fords corruption is a whataboutism of Wynnes Liberal government?

I hated Wynnes government, they were likely the worst provincial government in the history of Canada, not just Ontario. That being said how corrupt do you think their green belt switches were? To the tune of 8.3 billion dollars to your friends corrupt?

I expect all government no matter the party to act responsibly. I voted for Ford’s government. I also hold them accountable for their actions. Not saying there is a better alternative at the moment (there all really poor choices for this Province), but I HATE corruption with a passion.

Release land from the greenbelt, I am not opposed to that, just do it in a fair and accountable method. That was not what was done in Ford’s case, and it significantly enriched some specific people who shouldn’t have received such a profit.

In your haste to hit me with the dastardly whataboutism conundrum, did you not ask this question?

Don't ask the question if you don't want the answer.

That was not what was done in Ford’s case, and it significantly enriched some specific people who shouldn’t have received such a profit.

You have provable evidence of that then, do you? Perhaps you should speak with the RCMP.

So your response to Fords corruption is a whataboutism of Wynnes Liberal government?

I hated Wynnes government, they were likely the worst provincial government in the history of Canada, not just Ontario. That being said how corrupt do you think their green belt switches were? To the tune of 8.3 billion dollars to your friends corrupt?

I expect all government no matter the party to act responsibly. I voted for Ford’s government. I also hold them accountable for their actions. Not saying there is a better alternative at the moment (there all really poor choices for this Province), but I HATE corruption with a passion.

Release land from the greenbelt, I am not opposed to that, just do it in a fair and accountable method. That was not what was done in Ford’s case, and it significantly enriched some specific people who shouldn’t have received such a profit.
The thread title is ‘Ontario Majority Government…’

Reasons why it will likely be another majority, current govt own goals notwithstanding, are fair play, are they not? Or is it only ‘OPC=bad’ is allowed…McGuinty’s and Wynne’s (and Gerald Butts) legacies have nothing to do with it…? (When they do, clearly…still)

Reasons why it will likely be another majority, current govt own goals notwithstanding, are fair play, are they not? Or is it only ‘OPC=bad’ is allowed…McGuinty’s and Wynne’s (and Gerald Butts) legacies have nothing to do with it…? (When they do, clearly…still)
Compare & contrast to this sister thread, for example?

No one is debating Wynne and McGuinty weren’t bad here. Attempting to excuse Ford’s actions by pointing at other corrupt politicians isn’t a good look.

8.3 billion dollars. This is the largest corruption scandal I have ever seen in Canada since I was alive. Please indicate any other scandal with the same amount going directly to privileged friends in Canada, I am curious if anyone knows of such a large case.

No one is debating Wynne and McGuinty weren’t bad here. Attempting to excuse Ford’s actions by pointing at other corrupt politicians isn’t a good look.

8.3 billion dollars. This is the largest corruption scandal I have ever seen in Canada since I was alive. Please indicate any other scandal with the same amount going directly to privileged friends in Canada, I am curious if anyone knows of such a large case.
I think it might be waiting in the wings, federally…

Not defending the Ford Govt, if it is provable that corruption existed in the land swap. The fact that there was a land swap should not be controversial, given that it has been proven that all Ontario Governments routinely subtract land from the Greenbelt.

I voted for Ford in 2018. I am not really impressed with him overall. I voted some weird party I never heard of before and not he Ontario PC in 2022.

... The fact that there was a land swap should not be controversial, given that it has been proven that all Ontario Governments routinely subtract land from the Greenbelt.
I think it's more the how rather than the what in the most recent events. And even though the Red Coats are getting involved re: potential criminality or not (nothing proven at this point) ...
... I suspect this won't significantly nudge the needle away from Team Blue Ontario in and of itself. Boosters'll point to previous regimes with similar misdeeds, haters'll reinforce their hate.

😂

$15B…Trudeau throws money out to unqualified CERB recipients then says it’s too hard for CRA to recover….

Partly due to backlogs produced during COVID. Six years ago (another example) the BC Cancer Centre in Abbotsford typically had only a few people in each waiting area, no indications of staff overwork, appointments were as scheduled.

A pay problem is almost impossible to solve without a pricing mechanism (market). There is a nearby market (US), which aggravates our problems.

For my part, I'm tired of the rhetoric from left-leaning parties and politicians and wonks about how this group and that group and the other group over there all deserve "fair pay", while they adamantly oppose more free market health care pricing because they know they've been in effect imposing wage and price controls for decades.

CP and CN back in the day. For some reason I was thinking of Bill Vander Zalm in BC but I dont think that amounted to much. I doubt they will find fire unless someone has something on paper. Of course if Doug Ford didnt pocket $9M or $10M on this Id question how smart he is

Back